Coming back to truth

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2016, 03:16 PM
RE: Coming back to truth
(28-04-2016 10:01 AM)smitthom624 Wrote:  So I kinda fell off the map for awhile after my wife discovered that I was looking into the atheist arguments. I decided to re-examine Mormonism (which my wife is currently a member) and also Christianity. I immediately realized that Mormonism was bullshit but I did try to embrace Christianity for the sake of saving the family. I tried and I just couldn't totally dive into it because of everything I had learned from Dawkins, Hitchens, Seth Andrews and Matt Dillahunty. The seed of doubt had been planted and in looking at Christianity again, I could see how their arguments were valid. I have recently realized that in fact religion is bullshit and that their is no supreme being in charge of it all. I am embracing the secular ideas and at 39 years old I have realized that I don't have the time for bullshit anymore. I am an Atheist and if people can't accept that then it's just too bad. I know that this sounds like a rant and it is but I need to get this out. Now for a question.. Would it be a good idea to re-read the bible now that I have a better understanding of what it's all about?

Well, I think you answered your question before you even asked. Wink

I've noticed that people generally go back and forth for a few years during de-conversion. It seems exhausting to me. Maybe just enjoy your freedom while you can. You've just gone "cold turkey" - try to take everything one day at a time, no expectations.

If you feel antsy or excited and "want to learn everything" - like a lot of people seem to, maybe brush up on what you may have missed in science or art or literature... or music. Pretty sure there's a way bigger world out here than Bible world.

Whatever you choose to do is entirely up to you. Getting to that place is quite an accomplishment. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2016, 06:55 PM
I find reading the Bible very tedious and very hard to get through if you have to actually sit down and read it cover to cover from a small-print KJV Bible. In fact, to be right honest, It's PURE FUCKING TORTURE!!! Sadcryface2

I highly suggest that you download the phone app "Youversion". It's a Bible App that will read the Bible to you! Better yet, you can choose the version you want to listen to. I recommend the NLT (New Living Translation) , the easiest to understand and the most pleasant reading voice of all of them. Actually, when he's reading the more absurd passages, (which, it turns out, are most of them) it's rather comical to listen to.

The nicest thing about using the app is the same reason people like audible books. You can put in your earbuds and get a lot of other tasks done while you listen. Try it, you won't be disappointed.

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
29-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Here's one other thing I couldn't wrap my head around. If "God" created the universe then why would he allow humans to worship him in a bunch of different ways? I would think if was a god I would want everyone worshipping me the same way.
29-04-2016, 04:10 PM
(28-04-2016 10:01 AM)smitthom624 Wrote:  So I kinda fell off the map for awhile after my wife discovered that I was looking into the atheist arguments. I decided to re-examine Mormonism (which my wife is currently a member) and also Christianity. I immediately realized that Mormonism was bullshit but I did try to embrace Christianity for the sake of saving the family. I tried and I just couldn't totally dive into it because of everything I had learned from Dawkins, Hitchens, Seth Andrews and Matt Dillahunty. The seed of doubt had been planted and in looking at Christianity again, I could see how their arguments were valid. I have recently realized that in fact religion is bullshit and that their is no supreme being in charge of it all. I am embracing the secular ideas and at 39 years old I have realized that I don't have the time for bullshit anymore. I am an Atheist and if people can't accept that then it's just too bad. I know that this sounds like a rant and it is but I need to get this out. Now for a question.. Would it be a good idea to re-read the bible now that I have a better understanding of what it's all about?

No need to read the bible. Read Voltaire's philosophical dictionary. Much funnier. Better author than any of those guys you mention too. He adds up Job's wealth! Classic. Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
29-04-2016, 05:36 PM
(29-04-2016 03:16 PM)smitthom624 Wrote:  Here's one other thing I couldn't wrap my head around. If "God" created the universe then why would he allow humans to worship him in a bunch of different ways? I would think if was a god I would want everyone worshipping me the same way.

Variety I can understand. It doesn't take a very long walk in the woods to figure out that whatever made all this didn't much care for monocultures.

What I can't figure out is how people can hold beliefs that are demonstrably and obviously complete bunk. Have you ever read JT Runnells' Open Letter to a CES Director? The sheer volume of blatant plagiarism that Joseph Smith committed is mind-boggling.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
29-04-2016, 11:55 PM
(29-04-2016 03:16 PM)smitthom624 Wrote:  Here's one other thing I couldn't wrap my head around. If "God" created the universe then why would he allow humans to worship him in a bunch of different ways?

Why not? Variety is spice of life.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
30-04-2016, 12:12 AM
(29-04-2016 11:55 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 03:16 PM)smitthom624 Wrote:  Here's one other thing I couldn't wrap my head around. If "God" created the universe then why would he allow humans to worship him in a bunch of different ways?

Why not? Variety is spice of life.

Take it another step. How come a being that created the universe wants worship from us? Why doesn't he have the stars worship him? That would be way cooler. Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
30-04-2016, 12:16 AM
(30-04-2016 12:12 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 11:55 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  Why not? Variety is spice of life.

Take it another step. How come a being that created the universe wants worship from us? Why doesn't he have the stars worship him? That would be way cooler. Tongue

Mightiness does not preclude being hungry for worship.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
30-04-2016, 12:26 AM
(30-04-2016 12:16 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(30-04-2016 12:12 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Take it another step. How come a being that created the universe wants worship from us? Why doesn't he have the stars worship him? That would be way cooler. Tongue

Mightiness does not preclude being hungry for worship.

Yeah, but there are more stars than us.

And they're bigger.

Also, brighter.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
30-04-2016, 12:32 AM
(30-04-2016 12:26 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(30-04-2016 12:16 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Mightiness does not preclude being hungry for worship.

Yeah, but there are more stars than us.

And they're bigger.

Also, brighter.

Maybe he is hungry for worship in moderate quantity?

Mikhail Bakunin.