Coming out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-03-2014, 01:44 PM
RE: Coming out
(31-03-2014 01:34 PM)J F M Wrote:  Of course it a christian's right to believe what they do .I never want to offend anybody However I am 67 yrs old and have kept quiet for a long time and it is getting harder. I think it's ok to speak up against a persons very old school views about guys and women and separation of church and state for example.

I didn't say you had to respect their beliefs Wink

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2014, 08:06 PM
I know you are right. I need to calm down. This town I live in must be the most conservative and Christian town in the world .I was running around the world for 23yrs and came back here for family reasons and have been here 26 yrs,was stuck in a job .I am now retired ,comfortable, wonderful wife ,two engineers for kids ,67 yrs old and don't want to move . It's time to find some atheist to hang out with .
04-04-2014, 10:47 AM
(01-04-2014 08:06 PM)J F M Wrote:  I know you are right. I need to calm down. This town I live in must be the most conservative and Christian town in the world .I was running around the world for 23yrs and came back here for family reasons and have been here 26 yrs,was stuck in a job .I am now retired ,comfortable, wonderful wife ,two engineers for kids ,67 yrs old and don't want to move . It's time to find some atheist to hang out with .

I know what's it like to live in a conservative and very Christian town, I grew up in one and unfortunately moved right back to it after a brief escape. *lol* So I definitely feel your pain.

"Because I have a right to be heard... I have a voice!"
04-04-2014, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 11:15 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
(31-03-2014 12:30 PM)J F M Wrote:  BUT I get angry thinking the girls will end up the same way. It simply can't be healthy believing all that nonsense . There is a long family history of private Christian schools . I am venting thanks

Actually, I have heard that just being out and being a nice, positive person in their life can be a big game changer because you are presenting an alternative world view. Their parents want them to think there is only way, and just by being there, you present another path.

Many people here have said they knew an atheist in school, and while it didn't change their mind in that moment, just knowing there was a different view of the world stuck with them. Later in life they would recall conversations, question their beliefs against what said in these past conversations, and it got them THINKING.

Dale McGowan has a youtube clip from Free OK that talks about parenting and raising freethinkers, one of the people in the audience asks the question in the frame of being the childs uncle.....they interact with the child, but don't feel like they have any say in what the child is taught.....his answer to that question is what I'm trying to convey here.

tl;dr You can make a difference to those kids in the long run just by being out of the atheist closet and being a nice person in their life.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
04-04-2014, 11:14 AM
oh. I forgot! Welcome to TTA.

there is a map thread pinned in the intro section with members on it, maybe someone here is near you. Also check out meetup.com use a variety of terms when searching secular, freethinkers, atheist, agnostic, humanist....groups.

and check facebook.

I found a local group from a girl at AF.com, turns out they have a facebook group that I use to chat with local atheists.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
04-04-2014, 11:28 AM
(30-03-2014 05:38 PM)Jeffasaurus Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 04:45 PM)J F M Wrote:  Hello! Have been an atheist for 45 yrs and finally coming out . I have walked away or changed the subject but not anymore .I have strong feeling about the dangers of and how destructive religion is . I am not alone Take it easy Jim

You are certainly not alone.

All the good chairs are taken, but find a comfy spot on the floor to sit and enjoy the forum.

Welcome I am new here also. Sorry about the chair situation, but I noticed there is an unspoken "move your meat loose your seat" rule. So keep your eyes open.
04-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Welcome.

[Image: YOUTUBE-IM-AS-MAD-AS-HELL-AND-IM-NOT-GON...ORE-12.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-04-2014, 07:26 AM
(01-04-2014 08:06 PM)J F M Wrote:  I know you are right. I need to calm down. This town I live in must be the most conservative and Christian town in the world .I was running around the world for 23yrs and came back here for family reasons and have been here 26 yrs,was stuck in a job .I am now retired ,comfortable, wonderful wife ,two engineers for kids ,67 yrs old and don't want to move . It's time to find some atheist to hang out with .
21-04-2014, 07:33 AM
I do need to work harder at being a nicer person
21-04-2014, 07:38 AM
Wow you kept being an atheist quiet for 45 years???

Why???

Don't bother answering.

Welcome.
The people here are alright.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.