Coming out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Coming out
I think my parents are nearing a divorce and my dad tells my mom that God put them together for forever. I want to tell him that he is ridiculous for thinking this way, but that would tell him that I no longer believe in God. I think my mom wants to get a divorce but fears eternal hell fire from our loving God. I just want to tell her that it's ok to get a divorce and there's no evidence that this hell exists. So anybody have a good way to tell my parents about my rationality without hurting their feelings?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2015, 11:15 PM
RE: Coming out
A change of name please.
The one you're using has a fairly large following.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 5 users Like Rahn127's post
07-02-2015, 09:43 AM
(06-02-2015 10:34 PM)TheAmazingAtheist Wrote:  . So anybody have a good way to tell my parents about my rationality without hurting their feelings?

Without hurting their feelings i going to be the hard part. I really find that first you have to find out why the believe what they believe.

Start with a nice conversation finding out their reasons for believing. Then explain to them why that reason is invalid. If it is because they were born into that religion, explain that is only chance. If you find out, and need help with arguments, you can always come back and ask, or look up different reasons. GWG's resource thread is an excellent resource. He has taken the time to put a lot of his research for us to use. I would suggest looking through it and finding some things that you can use to explain to them why their beliefs are flawed.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...rce-thread

As far as your mom wanting a divorce, obviously she isn't happy. If she isn't happy, then she probably isn't treating your dad the best and he probably isn't happy either. Tell them that they both really deserve to be happy.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
07-02-2015, 12:07 PM
Just my 2 cents but having gone through my parents divorce, unless there is a physical harm issue, you need to stay the fuck away.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 2 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
07-02-2015, 01:02 PM
If it's what really needs to happen, maybe just you telling them that you're okay with them getting divorced will be a catalyst for them to do what they need to do, and perhaps do it in a civil manner that benefits everyone.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
07-02-2015, 01:56 PM
(07-02-2015 12:07 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Just my 2 cents but having gone through my parents divorce, unless there is a physical harm issue, you need to stay the fuck away.

What he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^ Stay out of it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
09-02-2015, 11:10 AM
(06-02-2015 10:34 PM)TheAmazingAtheist Wrote:  I think my parents are nearing a divorce and my dad tells my mom that God put them together for forever. I want to tell him that he is ridiculous for thinking this way, but that would tell him that I no longer believe in God. I think my mom wants to get a divorce but fears eternal hell fire from our loving God. I just want to tell her that it's ok to get a divorce and there's no evidence that this hell exists. So anybody have a good way to tell my parents about my rationality without hurting their feelings?

Why is it okay for your mom to divorce? What did she or your dad do or not do? One thing at a time--God hates divorce because it is very cruel (most of the time) to a spouse, children or both.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Q, in the politest way possible, could you shut the fuck up? You offer nothing here. I could make up some inane shit and say Odin doesn't like it.

@OP I don't think there's a great deal you can do in this case. It's obviously having a strain on your parents, but you going "I don't believe in X" probably won't help. All you can really do is hope that your mum gets over the issue. Does anyone you know IRL know whats going on, and have you asked them for advice?

As other people have said, this is voided if there's a physical abuse issue going on (although arguably there's mental abuse) and in that case you both need to get the fuck away.
[+] 4 users Like Dyer51's post
10-02-2015, 09:41 AM
(09-02-2015 12:05 PM)Dyer51 Wrote:  Q, in the politest way possible, could you shut the fuck up? You offer nothing here. I could make up some inane shit and say Odin doesn't like it.

@OP I don't think there's a great deal you can do in this case. It's obviously having a strain on your parents, but you going "I don't believe in X" probably won't help. All you can really do is hope that your mum gets over the issue. Does anyone you know IRL know whats going on, and have you asked them for advice?

As other people have said, this is voided if there's a physical abuse issue going on (although arguably there's mental abuse) and in that case you both need to get the fuck away.

If you're uncomfortable with my statement, you can still use the first half. I also do have some wisdom to offer in this area--my church has a very low divorce rate and a lot of tools on board for marriage counseling, both secular and religious in nature.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2015, 09:49 AM
(10-02-2015 09:41 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  -my church has a very low divorce rate and a lot of tools on board for marriage counseling, both secular and religious in nature.

I bet there ARE a lot of tools at your church......

Laughat

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post