Coming out but not yet there

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2015, 10:39 AM
Coming out but not yet there
Hi All,

I was baptized a Catholic 49 years ago and was raising my children Catholic, but never really believed all the dogma we'd been taught. About 2 years ago decided religion was a farce and I and my family stopped going to church.

My husband drifted away from religion when his dad died of cancer 4 years ago, and told me he was an atheist about a year ago. His declaration set the wheels in motion that made me realize I am also an atheist, though I haven't told my friends yet.

My always skeptical 15 year old son identifies as atheist and my equally questioning 18 year old daughter says she is agnostic, so I guess even though we raised them with religion, we did an OK job creating free thinkers.

My parents and three sisters know I don't believe in god and are OK with it as they have drifted from the church as well.

On the other hand, my mother in law has not directly told my hubby that he is going to hell, but implied as much after he told her he doesn't believe in god--he hasn't used the "A" word yet. After her husband died, I feel she was brainwashed by her preachers into thinking Harry Potter is evil and has said she wouldn't buy my children Harry Potter or D&D related gifts. She doesn't know I now consider myself an atheist, other wise she would also be praying for my soul I'm sure.

Most of my local friends are from our church since we had no ties to the area when we moved here in 1999. The close ones know we haven't been attending church, but I haven't come "Out" and I'm not sure if they suspect my atheism or not. I am a reluctant to tell them, though some may have an inkling since my rainbow Facebook posts have a decidedly anti-religious bent to them as I rip into the republican right wing presidential candidate bigots.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TryChick's post
11-07-2015, 03:51 PM
RE: Coming out but not yet there
Welcome to TTA! Pull up a chair and chime right in! Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
11-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
11-07-2015, 04:10 PM
You sound like just our type! Most of us have had to go through some version of that process, including the lunatic JAYZUS familiy members. I think it's great that you have a rare fortune in having an entire household of freethinkers!

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
11-07-2015, 04:15 PM
(11-07-2015 10:39 AM)TryChick Wrote:  Hi All,

I was baptized a Catholic 49 years ago and was raising my children Catholic, but never really believed all the dogma we'd been taught. About 2 years ago decided religion was a farce and I and my family stopped going to church.

My husband drifted away from religion when his dad died of cancer 4 years ago, and told me he was an atheist about a year ago. His declaration set the wheels in motion that made me realize I am also an atheist, though I haven't told my friends yet.

My always skeptical 15 year old son identifies as atheist and my equally questioning 18 year old daughter says she is agnostic, so I guess even though we raised them with religion, we did an OK job creating free thinkers.

My parents and three sisters know I don't believe in god and are OK with it as they have drifted from the church as well.

On the other hand, my mother in law has not directly told my hubby that he is going to hell, but implied as much after he told her he doesn't believe in god--he hasn't used the "A" word yet. After her husband died, I feel she was brainwashed by her preachers into thinking Harry Potter is evil and has said she wouldn't buy my children Harry Potter or D&D related gifts. She doesn't know I now consider myself an atheist, other wise she would also be praying for my soul I'm sure.

Most of my local friends are from our church since we had no ties to the area when we moved here in 1999. The close ones know we haven't been attending church, but I haven't come "Out" and I'm not sure if they suspect my atheism or not. I am a reluctant to tell them, though some may have an inkling since my rainbow Facebook posts have a decidedly anti-religious bent to them as I rip into the republican right wing presidential candidate bigots.

Welcome!

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
11-07-2015, 04:19 PM
You know why they think Harry Potter is evil???

Because "it is written" -- and they don't want the kiddies reading anything that might go against their dogma..................

Bottom line?

Christians love the illiterate....

They're easier to control...

Welcome aboard...

You'll find some fine minds here to bounce ideas off of....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post