Coming out(no homo :P)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2017, 04:49 PM
RE: Coming out(no homo :P)
(11-03-2017 09:21 AM)underdogFTW Wrote:  I can feel it. The imminence is in the air. Last week the pastor asked me straight up what my problem was. Next week will be more of the same I suppose. They just want me to take baptism. Should I?
Am I not just lying to them if I take baptism?

Its not about the consequence. I mean, my mom will be upset, but it'll pass with time. Its about doing what is right.

My minds mostly made up. If they push me hard enough, I will do what I gotta do.

But just so my conscience is clear. What is the "right" thing?

People change their minds in life, so don't think that a decision is going to lock you in. If God exists, he isn't terribly omniscient if he doesn't understand why many people of honest and good character don't believe in him.

I left Christianity when I found I could no longer say the creeds with honesty.

Yes, I could've stayed for the friendship and people, and made my wife happy, but the questions of religion -- existence, purpose, meaning -- were too important to me to not be honest with myself. They were so important that I cannot lie about them. I would be betraying myself, and dishonoring those who honestly do believe in a god.

So, it is not a dislike of religion, or hatred for God, that forces me to declare that I'm an atheist. Rather, it is my reverence for the search for meaning that everyone strives for, whether theist or atheist.

It sounds like you are sitting on the fence, but leaning towards non-belief. By all means, do what you feel is best. For myself, I would make sure I could say the declarations of baptism with an honest heart before I would agree to it. Any priest or minister worth his frock would agree, and would not ask you do to otherwise.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2017, 06:00 AM
Any issues the church has with you, is their problem not yours. Just explain to them how you feel, that its not for you, and leave it with them.

As for your mom, my mom is also religious and attends church every week, and I've even been to support her a few times (she was baptised recently, when she rejoined the church, same with my step dad) and I get invited to a Christmas carol service every year, which I'll go to for them, because it makes them happy.

So each to their own and everything, but the way I see Atheism is "I feel this way about things, but it doesn't stop anybody else doing what they like....as long as they don't tell me I'm wrong" haha. My mom doesnt pressure me into doing anything, and knows the full extent of my thoughts on organised religion, but enjoys having the family together, so I check it out. My daughter even attends a kids club once a month at the church, because my mom helps out there.....so again, you do whats best for you, but don't forget your mom and her feelings.

"Whatever you say, Stone Cold Steve Austin." - Rick
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
16-03-2017, 06:06 AM
Firstly:
[Image: iZr49cd.gif]

Secondly:

(11-03-2017 09:21 AM)underdogFTW Wrote:  But just so my conscience is clear. What is the "right" thing?

"Right" thing. Laugh out load It's your call, boss. There will come a time where you will be compelled to make a stand for your identity. When you do that is up to you - there ain't really a "right" time. Personally I see no error in perpetuating an illusion for another's comfort.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-03-2017, 08:28 AM
I'm much less concerned with what you do or don't do than I am with the church (and your mother) trying to pressure you, socially, into accepting something that is supposedly "a personal relationship with Jesus", as so many Christians call it.

I cannot think of any denomination where it's acceptable to goad someone into accepting the "free gift" of salvation, even as extreme as the churches in which I grew up were.

I would be much firmer with the mom and pastor: "This is a personal decision between God and myself, and it's supposed to be a voluntary action. I think your attempts to pressure me are inappropriate, and they are making it harder for me to say yes. I do not think that God would approve of someone doing this because people made them feel they had to do it."

Your church sounds more like a cult than most of them. You might be doing them a favor if you tell them so.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
16-03-2017, 10:38 AM
(16-03-2017 08:28 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I'm much less concerned with what you do or don't do than I am with the church (and your mother) trying to pressure you, socially, into accepting something that is supposedly "a personal relationship with Jesus", as so many Christians call it.

I cannot think of any denomination where it's acceptable to goad someone into accepting the "free gift" of salvation, even as extreme as the churches in which I grew up were.

I would be much firmer with the mom and pastor: "This is a personal decision between God and myself, and it's supposed to be a voluntary action. I think your attempts to pressure me are inappropriate, and they are making it harder for me to say yes. I do not think that God would approve of someone doing this because people made them feel they had to do it."

Your church sounds more like a cult than most of them. You might be doing them a favor if you tell them so.

Yes, I'd like to echo RS, here. It's not unreasonable to say that you just don't think it would be appropriate right now- especially while being pressured and that if you decide to, it will be on your own terms as it's a personal decision.

That should shut them up. They might pull a "you never know when you're gonna die" thing. You can reply with something along the lines of "god knows my heart" or whatever.

Also.... ugh- I hate that phrase, "no homo". It smacks of dude-bro-ishness and implied homophobia. I'm sure that's not how you meant it, but I can't help but hear it that way. Not telling you not to say it though lol.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
16-03-2017, 10:43 AM
(16-03-2017 10:38 AM)Emma Wrote:  Yes, I'd like to echo RS, here.

Usually a good option.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post