Coming out of the atheist closet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Coming out of the atheist closet
Hello. My name is David, and as the title would suggest, I have recently finally admitted to my girlfriend, and myself, that I am an atheist. For the longest time I just told people that I was agnostic. I guess in reality I've been an atheist for some years now, but just couldn't admit it given my family and where I come from.

I'm originally from Kansas. Yes, that Kansas. You know, the state that wanted to teach "intelligent" design right along side evolution in school. My entire family is very religious. My grandpa was a deacon at his church for a long time, and my brother is currently a Lutheran minister. So I'm kind of the black sheep of the family. I never really discussed my religious beliefs because they differed so drastically from everybody I know and would lead to nothing short of getting teamed up on by my family; attempting to show me the errors of my way. About two years ago I moved to Indianapolis, Indiana so my girlfriend could finish college. Some might think that Indiana is a little more enlightened than Kansas. Let me tell you, it is in fact not (I guess that's my fault for staying in the Midwest).

Anyway, I've been hoping to find a community of like-minded people. My girlfriend is open to this "new" development, but she still holds onto a small vestige of growing up Catholic. She is probably genuinely agnostic. So here I am in all my atheistic glory. Hoping to find people to talk to.

Be gentle, I'm new.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Wheelbkb's post
21-07-2014, 11:09 PM
RE: Coming out of the atheist closet
(21-07-2014 11:07 PM)Wheelbkb Wrote:  Hello. My name is David, and as the title would suggest, I have recently finally admitted to my girlfriend, and myself, that I am an atheist. For the longest time I just told people that I was agnostic. I guess in reality I've been an atheist for some years now, but just couldn't admit it given my family and where I come from.

I'm originally from Kansas. Yes, that Kansas. You know, the state that wanted to teach "intelligent" design right along side evolution in school. My entire family is very religious. My grandpa was a deacon at his church for a long time, and my brother is currently a Lutheran minister. So I'm kind of the black sheep of the family. I never really discussed my religious beliefs because they differed so drastically from everybody I know and would lead to nothing short of getting teamed up on by my family; attempting to show me the errors of my way. About two years ago I moved to Indianapolis, Indiana so my girlfriend could finish college. Some might think that Indiana is a little more enlightened than Kansas. Let me tell you, it is in fact not (I guess that's my fault for staying in the Midwest).

Anyway, I've been hoping to find a community of like-minded people. My girlfriend is open to this "new" development, but she still holds onto a small vestige of growing up Catholic. She is probably genuinely agnostic. So here I am in all my atheistic glory. Hoping to find people to talk to.

Be gentle, I'm new.

Welcome to our comunity!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

22-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Welcome....

And despite the lack of enlightenment in Indy I do like it there. There never seems to be a shortage of things going on so at least it has that going for it.
22-07-2014, 10:40 AM
Welcome to the fresh air and sunshine outside the closet.

Check meetup and google, Facebook for groups near you. There are more atheists than you think.

Use other search terms like skeptic and free thinker, humanist

And many of us come here just to chat with others about day to day stuff without all the religious figures of speech that we get in our community.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
22-07-2014, 10:55 AM
Feel free to stretch. I'm sure it was cramped in that closet.

Welcome.
22-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Hey David. Good job!

You may also want to consider the term "agnostic atheist". Which in a nutshell is like saying. "I do not actively believe there is a god (atheist), but I am not declaring that I in fact know there is no god (agnostic)." I myself am not an agnostic atheist, but I know a large number of those calling themselves "atheist" or "agnostic" actually fall under that category.

Anyways, glad you are out! Did your fam take it well?

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
22-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Welcome to the world of reason and logic. Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)