Coming out of the closet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2013, 06:31 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2013 06:36 AM by Dom.)
RE: Coming out of the closet
Sandwiches are quite cost effective, and you can get super inventive with them. The best ones have a little bit of this and a little bit of that and all ingredients are used so sparingly that they last a long time. You can make super nutritious sandwiches that really hit the spot and satisfy.

Also, many leftovers make super sandwiches. Sloppy Joes can be made from all kinds of things.

I agree with the frozen veggies, just don't buy canned if you can get them frozen, all the nutrients have leaked out and there is a question as to whether the lining of the cans causes cancer or not. The only thing I use canned is tomato sauce, it's too cost efficient to pass up when I don't have tomatoes in the garden.

Try to not buy for one meal, but pool your week's or month's money and buy stuff you can mix and match to create many different meals.

Good things to have on hand:

eggs, mix with just about anything and throw in micro for a bit.

Whatever is cheapest or on sale as far as other protein goes - chicken, beef, pork, the cut doesn't matter. If it's a tough cut, put in a crockpot or pot with a couple inches of water in the bottom, spices you like, and cook over low heat until you can cut it with a fork. At the start, throw in a carrot or two and whatever veggies you got a hold of. At the end, add some flour slowly and stir, stir, stir and you'll have gravy. Or, add tomato sauce and oregano etc for italian taste. You can combine this with rice, pasta or potatoes for some very different meals. Also, it can go on sandwiches or make soups if you add some water.

Dried spices (many stores have generic brands now and they are ok) or, some seed packets for spices you like, grow them in the kitchen window.

Potatoes, rice, pasta, bread.

Onions

With a can of coconut milk and some currypowder you can turn anything into creamy, thick curry. The coconut milk (the thick, stiff kind) will last for many meals. You can freeze it in an ice cube tray. Try adding some apple to the curry.

Baggies you can freeze in, or save containers wtth lids to do so. With baggies, get all the air out and seal shut.

The trick is to accumulate as many mix and match items as you can over time and combine in may different ways. Make full use of whatever freezing space you have.

Feel free to post items you have on hand and ask us what to do with them to make a good meal, it's amazing what one can do with weird combinations of stuff.

Being short of money makes for great cooks. It's how I learned to cook, too. You don't need recipes. You just need to figure out what you like.

I would likely have a lot more suggestions if I knew what you know about cooking.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
20-01-2013, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2013 01:23 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-01-2013 06:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  Dried spices (many stores have generic brands now and they are ok) or, some seed packets for spices you like, grow them in the kitchen window.

It's all about the spices. There are more ethnic markets in my immediate area than there are Safeways or Giants. Learn to cook Indian cuisine. Them fuckers are so creative with their spices I don't even realize when the dish I'm eating is vegetarian. Asian cuisine in general is all about doing it deliciously on the cheap without wasting anything. I mean what else you gonna do with tripe but put it in a pho?

Manly's been doing roasted vegetables for a bit now. The fresh ones seem to roast and saute better than frozen. Frozen likes to be steamed or microwaved. This one's roasted squash, zucchini, and button mushrooms with an excellent oriental spice combo from Costco, alongside tortellini with pesto and cherry tomatoes.

[Image: veggie1_zpsc6f1f09d.jpg]

I've been juicing more recently which ain't that cheap but lets me pump volumes of vitaminavegemins into my system I couldn't eat otherwise. I've been adding whey powder for protein but that ain't cheap either.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-01-2013, 02:20 PM
(20-01-2013 01:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-01-2013 06:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  Dried spices (many stores have generic brands now and they are ok) or, some seed packets for spices you like, grow them in the kitchen window.

It's all about the spices. There are more ethnic markets in my immediate area than there are Safeways or Giants. Learn to cook Indian cuisine. Them fuckers are so creative with their spices I don't even realize when the dish I'm eating is vegetarian. Asian cuisine in general is all about doing it deliciously on the cheap without wasting anything. I mean what else you gonna do with tripe but put it in a pho?

Manly's been doing roasted vegetables for a bit now. The fresh ones seem to roast and saute better than frozen. Frozen likes to be steamed or microwaved. This one's roasted squash, zucchini, and button mushrooms with an excellent oriental spice combo from Costco, alongside tortellini with pesto and cherry tomatoes.

[Image: veggie1_zpsc6f1f09d.jpg]

I've been juicing more recently which ain't that cheap but lets me pump volumes of vitaminavegemins into my system I couldn't eat otherwise. I've been adding whey powder for protein but that ain't cheap either.
http://www.supercook.com

This website allowed you to enter what you have in your kitchen, and then gives you recipes based on what you have available. Its pretty neat. Smile

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
22-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Come on over to my place and I'll cook you some dinnaz.

I'z crafty with mah dinnaz. Thumbsup

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-01-2013, 01:30 PM
(22-01-2013 09:33 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Come on over to my place and I'll cook you some dinnaz.

I'z crafty with mah dinnaz. Thumbsup
Theres a scary thought. Tongue

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
22-01-2013, 11:42 PM
wow it is a awesome post. i really enjoy it.

IGF-1
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Cheese. Lots of cheese.

Under Repair.
[+] 1 user Likes itsacow's post