Coming out on facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Coming out on facebook
I wasn't sure if this should go here or under Atheism, so if it's misplaced...my bad.

Has anyone come out on facebook? I'm trying to decide the right forum to do this, and facebook seems to make the most sense since it's the quickest and easiest way to communicate with the world. My immediate family and closest friends know of my atheism, but that's it.

To be honest, I'm getting sick of seeing the endless posts about Gods country, random bible passages, anti gay sentiment, i don't hate the sinner just the sin, God gives us suffering so we can appreciate his glory, we need more Christ in Christmas, etc etc.

I want to say something, but not sure if I should make it serious, humorous, heartfelt....and I have a gut feeling I'm going to lose a good portion of my friends on facebook. Most, I really don't care about, but I'm anticipating a good amount of flak from my bible thumping family. Half of them work for religious non-profits, travel to Africa for aid trips, and speak in tongues.

So to the point, how many of you came out on facebook? Is anyone in a relatively similar situation? Any tips?

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2014, 10:53 AM
RE: Coming out on facebook
So you're tired of hearing God-related media?
Well then, my god sir, coming out as an atheist will only exaggerate that. Best to just block/ignore the stuff.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
10-03-2014, 11:06 AM
I've been easing myself out over time. My close friends and some open minded family has been in the know for a while now, but the vast majority of those around me don't know. I've been doing things to put it out there, like "liking" some atheist related pages. Sharing some of the less in your face atheism memes out there. I've noticed that I lost several friends on facebook, but that could have been due to other things I said/did on FB.

Basically, my plan is to not actively hide my atheism anymore. I think that if I were to come right out and post a HEY EVERYONE! I THINK YOUR GOD IS BULLSHIT! type post, it would piss people off more than necessary and alienate people who may have a "live and let live" type attitude towards atheists. Instead, I'm just going to live my online life as though it's not news that I'm an atheist. I've been fortunate that a few people that have caught on have come to me personally and not made a big public stink.

There are definitely a few friends that caught on and bolted because they couldn't be associated with an atheist. I had one who offered to set up a personal meeting between god and myself before he unfriended me.

meh. I don't need people like that in my life anyway.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
10-03-2014, 11:15 AM
if you just blurt it out there......expect an avalanche of responses from your church family.

all you have to do is start liking some pages.....atheist republic, keep your bible out of my vagina, global secular humanist, ffrf. those likes will pop up in your ticker which EVERYONE on friend list sees, and you will get people asking you questions.

i would rather deal with them slowly, rather than an explosion....

but to each their own.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
10-03-2014, 11:16 AM
(10-03-2014 11:06 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  ...
I'm just going to live my online life as though it's not news that I'm an atheist.

Nice approach.

one who offered to set up a personal meeting between god

That would have been impressive.

@jesse,
I think the more people who come out, even if passively as itsnot plans to do, the more who will follow.

As long as you've assessed that the benefits outweigh the risks, do what you feel is right.

Good luck.

Thumbsup

10-03-2014, 11:28 AM
(10-03-2014 11:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
I'm just going to live my online life as though it's not news that I'm an atheist.

Nice approach.

one who offered to set up a personal meeting between god

That would have been impressive.

It certainly would be. It was in response to one of those idiotic "checkmate, atheists" posts about a xtian student that "humbles" a professor by using the "you can't see your brain but you believe it exists" argument.

I responded by saying that I could cut my head open and prove that there was a brain. He responded by saying that he could smash my head open and prove there was a god.

Dodgy

real christianlike.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
10-03-2014, 11:33 AM
(10-03-2014 10:53 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  So you're tired of hearing God-related media?
Well then, my god sir, coming out as an atheist will only exaggerate that. Best to just block/ignore the stuff.

More or less. To friends, I do have that stuff set to be ignored. But as I mentioned, I'm also dealing with family. I have little cousins, nieces, and nephews, and the easiest way to see them is through their parents facebook account. Can I block them? Sure, but I don't want to block or limit my own family.

I don't want to come off as holier than thou, but I would like to say something.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
10-03-2014, 11:38 AM
I also got tired of the 'god' crap on FB, and started sharing and liking links to The Dawkins foundation and TTA, etc. Mixing it up with some of the scientific stuff from Dawkins.

I only lost 2 folks, that were actually friends with my wife and heavy holy rollers.... no loss there.

The few biker friends that spout of about god and country are also on the political opposite of me, so it becomes a bit of a 'tit for tat' thing. We have other things in common that are more important than religion and politics.

Start slow and dont let them push you around if they dont like it.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
10-03-2014, 11:53 AM
(10-03-2014 11:33 AM)=jesse= Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 10:53 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  So you're tired of hearing God-related media?

More or less. To friends, I do have that stuff set to be ignored. But as I mentioned, I'm also dealing with family. I have little cousins, nieces, and nephews, and the easiest way to see them is through their parents facebook account. Can I block them? Sure, but I don't want to block or limit my own family.

I don't want to come off as holier than thou, but I would like to say something.

Then just start slow. Don't come out as an atheist pet se, just do what other people are mentioning and like an atheist post here and there. Nothing big, just build up to it.

Atir aissom atir imon
10-03-2014, 01:26 PM
I'm relatively out on Facebook. My profile lists my religious beliefs as "atheist", although I have no idea how many people actually read that.

As far as the content of my posts, I don't say much that would be overtly offensive to religious people as I don't feel like going out of my way to piss off relatives just for the sake of it. I tend to stick to various jokes and memes I find that poke fun of certain religious beliefs but that are the type that a religious person with good humor might appreciate.

As far as other people's content: if I find it too irritating, I just put the person on acquaintance mode, which greatly reduces how much of their stuff ends up in my news feed.

On a side note: I feel FB is one of the worst formats for religious debates. In order to format a comment that isn't the original post, you have to type it somewhere else and paste it, and then it only posts a bit unless people click "read more". Those comments fields makes walls of text even harder to read, and there's no ability to use BBCode to help format the posts. Also, if you're on a public page, the comments are just a bunch of drive-bys, anyway.