Coming out on facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 02:12 PM
RE: Coming out on facebook
(10-03-2014 10:51 AM)=jesse= Wrote:  I wasn't sure if this should go here or under Atheism, so if it's misplaced...my bad.

Has anyone come out on facebook? I'm trying to decide the right forum to do this, and facebook seems to make the most sense since it's the quickest and easiest way to communicate with the world. My immediate family and closest friends know of my atheism, but that's it.

To be honest, I'm getting sick of seeing the endless posts about Gods country, random bible passages, anti gay sentiment, i don't hate the sinner just the sin, God gives us suffering so we can appreciate his glory, we need more Christ in Christmas, etc etc.

I want to say something, but not sure if I should make it serious, humorous, heartfelt....and I have a gut feeling I'm going to lose a good portion of my friends on facebook. Most, I really don't care about, but I'm anticipating a good amount of flak from my bible thumping family. Half of them work for religious non-profits, travel to Africa for aid trips, and speak in tongues.

So to the point, how many of you came out on facebook? Is anyone in a relatively similar situation? Any tips?

Consider

what's facebook?

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
10-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Coming out on facebook
It's like a necronomicon, except people broadcast their personal lives in it.

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
10-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Laugh out load Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
10-03-2014, 03:54 PM
Why do you want to do this? You keep saying you want to say something, and you say you're tired of the religious crap on there, but I don't think you've stated your ends to the means. I'd like to respond to that please.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-03-2014, 04:22 PM
You've got some good advice here. You can make a public announcement, and expect to get a lot of feedback, and arguments, or you can just update your religious beliefs, and like a few atheist pages here and there. Your friends will see this. I went with the second option, and haven't gotten any blowback yet (it's been about two years). I do know that my activity was seen, I've only gotten a few nonchalant mentions of my activity.

I liked this option because I really don't see it as a big deal, and didn't want to make a big deal of it. Good luck!!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
10-03-2014, 04:29 PM
I don't have facebook so I couldn't come out even if I wanted to.
11-03-2014, 07:06 AM
(10-03-2014 03:54 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Why do you want to do this? You keep saying you want to say something, and you say you're tired of the religious crap on there, but I don't think you've stated your ends to the means. I'd like to respond to that please.

Did you mean to ask me to respond to that?

I don't have one single ultimate goal in mind. I have the desire to be honest with them, I'd like to end their silly discrimination, debate openly, and even try to get them to acknowledge some discrepancies and hypocrisies. Except a good portion of my family are deeply religious and atheism is very offensive. I was curious to see if anyone else came out as an atheist on facebook and how it went.

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.