Coming out to the cub scouts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2013, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2013 01:49 PM by DeeSK.)
So just sent this out to our scout troop, guess I was busy with my kids and didn't fully realize Boy Scouts of Americas position. I thought well they finally let gay scouts in so yeah. They asked me to be the den leader and I said "Why not."
Well two months later (after I had led two meetings)when they finally got me the paperwork, I realized they do not allow atheist or agnostics to join.( So please don't fire bomb me I really hadn't had time to research it and I live in a small bible belt area and really don't have a ton of options for my kids.)
So here is my letter, had to tell someone. I have told a couple of people I was an atheist but never a bunch of people that I know will probably hate me now. The funny thing is non of them could take the time to lead so there you go.

Just to let everyone know to become a Wolf den leader a person must sign a Declaration of Faith. This declares that you agree that "no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God and, therefore, recognizes the religious element in the training of the member". As an atheist I cannot sign this paper in good conscience.
I don't force my lack of belief on my children, so I left it up to my son to decide if he wanted to be a cub scout and he said "no". My ethics cannot let me lie about my lack of belief in any deities, I don't think that would set a good example to my son.
I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like DeeSK's post
10-11-2013, 02:52 PM
RE: Coming out to the cub scouts
It really is unfortunate how few options are available when trying to find secular activities for your kids to enjoy. I wish there were organizations like the boy scouts without the religious slant. There probably will be in time.

You did the right thing.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
[+] 2 users Like Ohio Sky's post
10-11-2013, 02:55 PM
(10-11-2013 02:52 PM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  It really is unfortunate how few options are available when trying to find secular activities for your kids to enjoy. I wish there were organizations like the boy scouts without the religious slant. There probably will be in time.

You did the right thing.

thanks I appreciate it.
10-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Welcome to the forum. Good on ya' for the honesty. Sucks those kids will now have to be led by someone who won't be able to aptly teach them that value as well as you.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
15-11-2013, 02:48 AM
(10-11-2013 01:39 PM)DeeSK Wrote:  So just sent this out to our scout troop, guess I was busy with my kids and didn't fully realize Boy Scouts of Americas position. I thought well they finally let gay scouts in so yeah. They asked me to be the den leader and I said "Why not."
Well two months later (after I had led two meetings)when they finally got me the paperwork, I realized they do not allow atheist or agnostics to join.( So please don't fire bomb me I really hadn't had time to research it and I live in a small bible belt area and really don't have a ton of options for my kids.)
So here is my letter, had to tell someone. I have told a couple of people I was an atheist but never a bunch of people that I know will probably hate me now. The funny thing is non of them could take the time to lead so there you go.

Just to let everyone know to become a Wolf den leader a person must sign a Declaration of Faith. This declares that you agree that "no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God and, therefore, recognizes the religious element in the training of the member". As an atheist I cannot sign this paper in good conscience.
I don't force my lack of belief on my children, so I left it up to my son to decide if he wanted to be a cub scout and he said "no". My ethics cannot let me lie about my lack of belief in any deities, I don't think that would set a good example to my son.
I understand your concern, and I think you did the right thing. However, this said I also appreciate that you can end up in a tight spot, after all in a small town in the bible belt this can create all sorts of problem, I could imagine. Especially for your son in terms of finding a good organisation to grow in. As you said the options are limited. One small step could be to consider camp quest (have only seen their web page and so by they seem to be legit and have a good standing). Sure it only a summer camp. But it beats a bible camp at least :-).
15-11-2013, 03:03 AM
Reminds me of some reasons I'm happy I live in California, and that my son outgrew scouting.

Is there anything like a science oriented parent-child, gender non-specific activity group?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
15-11-2013, 08:13 AM
(10-11-2013 01:39 PM)DeeSK Wrote:  So just sent this out to our scout troop, guess I was busy with my kids and didn't fully realize Boy Scouts of Americas position. I thought well they finally let gay scouts in so yeah. They asked me to be the den leader and I said "Why not."

I understand your concern, and I think you did the right thing. However, this said I also appreciate that you can end up in a tight spot, after all in a small town in the bible belt this can create all sorts of problem, I could imagine. Especially for your son in terms of finding a good organisation to grow in. As you said the options are limited. One small step could be to consider camp quest (have only seen their web page and so by they seem to be legit and have a good standing). Sure it only a summer camp. But it beats a bible camp at least :-).
[+] 1 user Likes fmanh2's post
15-11-2013, 08:46 AM
What if they reply and say they don't mind that you're an atheist? Would you still participate?
15-11-2013, 02:38 PM
(15-11-2013 08:46 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  What if they reply and say they don't mind that you're an atheist? Would you still participate?

No I have a bad taste in my mouth over the whole thing. Plus they don't allow gay people to lead, I thought they had revised it but only to include scouts. The science center has a robotic club that meets once a month so I am checking out that and 4 H.
My son is quiet and loves to build with legos so I am looking for a good fit. He is only eight so I am not sure he is old enough for some of the programs. Oh well.
[+] 1 user Likes DeeSK's post
15-11-2013, 03:42 PM
I was asked to be a den mom and I just said thanks, but no.

No one needed to know the reason.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon