Coming out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2010, 10:55 AM
RE: Coming out?
Depends on where you live.Sometimes it's sadly best to live a double life.Depends how society would treat you.I'm still having some trouble braking the news to some theist friends but most other friends accepted me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2010, 12:23 PM

If I went home and said to my non-religious family that I'm a theist, the response would be "what's a theist?". If I explained and said I'm now a practising Christian, I wouldn't get exiled, I'd get laughed at.

I just can't imagine what it must be like for you. All I can say is just be your usual self and, on occasion, drop the odd critical question about religion. If you keep being critical and casting doubt upon their answers by saying they don't make sense, it may eventually soften the blow when you reveal you no longer believe.
Quote this message in a reply
21-12-2010, 11:46 PM
(21-12-2010 12:23 PM)Ryedo Wrote:  If I went home and said to my non-religious family that I'm a theist, the response would be "what's a theist?". If I explained and said I'm now a practising Christian, I wouldn't get exiled, I'd get laughed at.

Yeah, I guess there is no tolerance or love without god. Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Some one call a doctor, I think I burst my appendix Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
22-12-2010, 12:15 AM
Ah the appendix. God's little pointless self destruct button. Smile

Actually the appendix is evolution at work. Now that it's no longer needed in the human system about 1 in 1000 people or so is born without one.
23-12-2010, 01:08 AM

You have to ask yourself is it worth lying to your self and others if they don't accept you for who you are then screw them is what i say
23-12-2010, 01:46 AM

Funny thing is, almost everyone else in my life knows I'm an atheist and they're ok with it. Most of my friends are atheists, and even my theist friends know (I think they choose to ignore it. They think I'm in denial about it because I still show up for church). It's just my family I'm having a very difficult time with. But I'm very grateful for replies. I found all the input very helpful and inspiring. I'm now seriously considering telling my parents, which wasn't even a possibility before. So thank you Smile
23-12-2010, 02:28 AM
I will caution you to think about how much it means to you to be able to be honest, and to consider your family members personalities. Your not going to be able to get through this crash without a dent. What you need to ask yourself is whether the dent can be repaired afterwards.

I left the faith I was raised in when I had the legal right to do so when I was 18. I told my parents later that day casually over diner thinking It wouldn't matter. My religious upbringing have consisted of my baptism, my confirmation and that's it. No church on Sundays, no religious discussions no nothing. So It is safe to say my parents are religious-lite. Therefore I thought that this wouldn't be a big deal. I turned out to be another episode of "the Norseman is wrong again". Everybody was upset, my mom was in tears and it took weeks before things settled down.

On the upside, everything is OK now. It looks like things just had to settle down by them selves. My relationship with my parents are as good as always, and I have no need to sensor myself.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
27-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Just stumbled upon this site - looks like a good place to share views/exchange information.

I started a Facebook a few months back, primarily as a resource to share links to info. The title, Support 20 March as National Nonobservance Day is a little bit of a joke - but basically to give non-believers an opportunity to stand up and be counted. One in six Americans is irreligious, however you want to define that. That's 50 million people just in America while over a billion people in this world are nontheists.

To say you're no longer Christian (if you ever were) in this country is like telling people you have cancer - they want to pity you - or worse, they assume that you went the other way and now support Satan. It's really bizarre. If you're on Facebook - feel free to join the page

http://www.facebook.com/edittopic.php?ui...4350179887

Cheers and good luck

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-12-2010, 03:12 PM

Thanks Seasbury. I've joined the page Smile

ThinkingNorseman, you have to understand what my family's like. I've considered leaving things as they are but that won't work for long. In my culture, a girl has to live with her parents until she gets engaged to a coptic orthodox (or find someone who is willing to convert), and have a big wedding which involves gold crowns and capes. That's not happening!!

On the upside, I was talking to my mother yesterday about how I think the Christmas tree is a pagan symbol, and she agreed. So this might not be as bad as I'd though Smile
27-12-2010, 06:14 PM
In that case I think that dropping small hints like you did with the Christmas tree is a smart move. Gradually making them suspect the truth before you confirm their "fears" might make it easier to cope with.

I see from your profile page that you are on your way to getting a kick-ass education. Would it be acceptable for your family if you had to move away to get work within your field? This might be easier to deal with if you are not living in the same house as them.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you