Coming out?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2010, 06:36 PM

RE: Coming out?
Oh, I'm counting on it! I already lived on my own for 3 years while going to University, but when my family moved here, they basically forced me to move with them (the city where I last lived didn't have a coptic church). Once I'm done my degree, I'm applying to grad school very far away from here Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2010, 05:28 AM
Maybe you could work for this guy. http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/m...-life-form
I understand that he does a lot of his work on a boat for safety reasons. They can't follow you there! Tongue

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2010, 12:13 PM

No they can't!! Where do I sent my resume?! Tongue

That was an incredible link though. I find Scientists and projects like this very inspiring.. I can't wait till I can do research like that Smile
23-01-2011, 03:37 PM

(19-12-2010 11:55 PM)mBear Wrote:  My question is: Do you think it is possible to live as a 'closet' atheist? Or at least hide it from certain people in your life?

My family are very devout and strict Coptic Orthodox Christians. And I was too, until a few years ago when I started thinking for myself and started questioning everything. My transition to atheism was gradual over a very long period of time, and I never told my family about it. In fact, I still go to church every Sunday to avoid problems with them. That's a problem...

I respect my family, but they are extremely closed minded when it comes to religion. I've tried to bring up the topic of atheism a few times, and the response I got was shocking to say the least. My point is, if I tell my family, I am confident it will completely destroy my relationship with them.

Has anyone else faced the same problem?

you can try to convince them. using hints whenever possible but dont try a debate or something. if it does not work than just tell them! being atheist is not a crime, you know!
[quote='mBear' pid='14984' dateline='1293496576']
Oh, I'm counting on it! I already lived on my own for 3 years while going to University, but when my family moved here, they basically forced me to move with them (the city where I last lived didn't have a coptic church). Once I'm done my degree, I'm applying to grad school very far away from here Big Grin
[/quote
so you could try gapping it?
23-01-2011, 05:30 PM
I don't say unless asked, my parents and grandparents do not know but it's mainly because they haven't asked.

[Image: websig.png]
23-01-2011, 08:23 PM
You never "HAVE TO" tell anyone what you believe. It is always your choice. If you feel uncomfortable about lying to someone who tells you thier beliefs in god are facts, they ARE LYING to you. It is not nessessary to be truthfull to liars. It is often better to lie to them or better yet, find a way to avoid all religious conversations. When you can't, you can always just ask them a question or to and use tact. (ie. "Oh. I see what you mean. Oh, I hear my mother calling me, bye." instead of "That is the STUPIDIST thing that I have ever heard!") This allows one to make a hasty retreat and survive. Highly recommended in third world countries, Alabama, Texas and other southern states.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
24-01-2011, 11:04 PM
(23-01-2011 08:23 PM)No J. Wrote:  This allows one to make a hasty retreat and survive. Highly recommended in third world countries, Alabama, Texas and other southern states.

I've really gotten quite good at subject changing and making exits. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
25-01-2011, 02:26 AM

While living at home things are different to when you are out on your own.

Out on your own, if you don't resist when others assume your beliefs you can find yourself doing and saying things you don't agree with and making things harder for yourself and many others.

Its like the gays that tried to pretend they were hetro to the point they got married and regretted it ever after. They not only made themselves miserable but made it seem to other gays that they were alone.
25-01-2011, 05:08 PM

Most of my problems are at home (and church). When I meet new people and among my friends, I'm very open about my atheism and never really had a problem with it. I've gotten really good at changing the subject and bolting out of there too haha. It just gets difficult and frustrating when I have to do it with my own parents. But you're right, I am afraid it will get as far as having to marry a religious person just so I don't upset my family. That's why I'm working on telling them eventually.. it'll just take a long time.
25-01-2011, 09:05 PM
(25-01-2011 05:08 PM)mBear Wrote:  But you're right, I am afraid it will get as far as having to marry a religious person just so I don't upset my family.

Whatever else you do, please don't do that. Life is too short to spend it with someone you'd rather not care to. And talk about living a lie...Sad

And yes, I can speak to this firsthand. Wink Not about the religious part, but the wrong one part.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink