Coming soon to a fucked-up country near you!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2017, 09:20 AM
RE: Coming soon to a fucked-up country near you!
(31-01-2017 08:53 AM)BryanS Wrote:  
(30-01-2017 03:09 PM)kineo Wrote:  Angry

Guess what! He's going to make it nice and fuzzy-friendly to discriminate against LGBTQ people!! Isn't that just fucking wicked exciting?

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/01/sourc...ming-soon/

I bet you can't wait for this stupid-fucking country to regress further into dumbfuckiness, because I sure can! Jesus fucking Christ.

The fact that this claim to defending "religious liberty" comes on the heels of a ban on Muslims traveling to America is so fucking backwards. I feel so powerless. Sadcryface

The story you posted has been updated to include the fact that the Trump admin has no plans to actually pass an executive order to allow discrimination against LGBTQ citizens. Moreover, he announced specifically he was keeping in place Obama's executive order protecting LGBTQ workers rights.

[Image: LGBTQ-600x319.png]

I'm not too worried about Trump going out of his way targeting LGBTQ for discrimination. During the campaign, the little he spoke of the issues he was rather outspoken about protecting LGBTQ rights. He never got enough credit from the community for that in my view.

I am more worried about the people around him and the GOP party in power deciding to pass legislation that harms LGBTQ rights, and I am worried that Trump might allow such things to pass for the sake of expediency or as a bargaining chip to accomplish some other goal. Pence truly is an enemy of the LGBTQ community, and he has a lot of influence on policy.

So far, Trump is actually doing the things he said he would even if unpopular, and he said he would protect LGBTQ rights. That gives me some cautious hope that he will push back against the religious right if they target LGBTQ rights even if it would be unpopular among the GOP. I hope he does not sacrifice LGBTQ rights in pursuit of appeasing the religious right.

Either the update came after I read the article or I completely missed it somehow. That's a bit of a relief, for now. Thank you.

I don't disagree with you at all regarding Pence being the real danger. He successfully and legally passed legislation in Indiana that made it legal to discriminate against LGBTQ individuals. I expect that he will attempt something on the national level. Trump got the credit on LGBTQ rights he deserves, because he flip-flopped and his position is not strong. Because he's so easily manipulated, and because he's surrounded himself with anti-LGBTQ bigots such as Pence, Bannon, and others, the fear that he will allow something similar to this (or worse) to make it through is a very valid fear. Not only that, there were rumors prior to this that this week would be a very bad week for LGBTQ individuals (which hints at this being the potential result). Right now, everything is shaky.

I do not doubt that this will be the last scare. But I'm relieved to know that this is not coming down the line for the time being.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
31-01-2017, 09:39 AM
I will be protesting too. I need to collect more large cardboard for all the signs I plan on making. Jesus fucking christ!

I've encouraged my transgender daughter to get her passport in order so she can go to Canada if necessary.

I really wish there was a just god who would damn trump, Bannon and the rest of these clowns to hell.

Edit: Just saw the update. I'll keep my cardboard signs for other issues. There are plenty to choose from.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
31-01-2017, 09:45 AM
(31-01-2017 09:39 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I will be protesting too. I need to collect more large cardboard for all the signs I plan on making. Jesus fucking christ!

Get Trainwreck to help you. He makes his living off cardboard signs. Thumbsup

[Image: tw_zpseq1kboaa.jpg]

#sigh
31-01-2017, 09:49 AM
So, as the update says, the Trump admin does not currently plan to put forth this executive order. That doesn't mean it won't come, or can't come.

But just as worrying, is the First Amendment Defense Act. I don't think I've posted about that here. It's mentioned in the bottom of this update to the article (which was definitely added after I last read it):

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2017/01/white...plan-time/

The FADA is not yet introduced, but will make it legal for private businesses to discriminate against LGBTQ individuals, not just government workers. It's just as insidious, and probably for more damaging to most people who don't interact with the government regularly.

This would have to pass through the congress and senate, but there's a good chance with the republican-controlled house that it will do so and that Trump will sign it- but who really knows. It's not an executive order, though, so it will be a longer process.
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
31-01-2017, 12:12 PM
(31-01-2017 09:49 AM)kineo Wrote:  So, as the update says, the Trump admin does not currently plan to put forth this executive order. That doesn't mean it won't come, or can't come.

But just as worrying, is the First Amendment Defense Act. I don't think I've posted about that here. It's mentioned in the bottom of this update to the article (which was definitely added after I last read it):

The FADA is not yet introduced, but will make it legal for private businesses to discriminate against LGBTQ individuals, not just government workers. It's just as insidious, and probably for more damaging to most people who don't interact with the government regularly.

This would have to pass through the congress and senate, but there's a good chance with the republican-controlled house that it will do so and that Trump will sign it- but who really knows. It's not an executive order, though, so it will be a longer process.

I've read that puppet has pledged, during speeches to various Evangelical audiences, to support that legislation. Unlike the media or his supporters, I take what the puppet says literally AND seriously, so it's a concern.

The LGBTQ protections puppet's talking about are in comparison to Muslim countries (places like Uganda and Russia get a pass, for some reason) where being LGBTQ is punishable by prison or death. Being gay will still be legal, but also legal will be Christians using FADA to refuse to bake cakes, treat patients, rent apartments, etc., to gay people.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
31-01-2017, 12:25 PM
(31-01-2017 09:49 AM)kineo Wrote:  So, as the update says, the Trump admin does not currently plan to put forth this executive order. That doesn't mean it won't come, or can't come.

I agree--this is a concern w.r.t. Trump, as this is something he has promised to address and support. I don't know how he can reconcile that position with protecting LGBTQ rights without throwing one group to the wolves.

I have no problem with a PRIVATE group holding their very own private hateful thoughts and keeping people out of their little hate clubs who are not like them. But I do have a problem with discrimination in public accommodations, housing, employment, access to government services, commerce conducted, etc with the public.
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
31-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Is there a single EO he has made that has nothing to do with demonizing one group or another?

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
31-01-2017, 12:35 PM
(31-01-2017 12:26 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Is there a single EO he has made that has nothing to do with demonizing one group or another?

Yes. Next question? (just google his EOs. you may not like them, but an EO in the news lately requiring removing two regulations for each new one passed is nothing about demonizing groups)

But legislating through EOs was great when Obama did it--I thought that was new awesomeness when Obama claimed these unlimited powers for the presidency to combat legislative inaction. Not so much now?

Unfortunately, now the GOP will love EOs and the Dems will hate them. In reality, presidents should not have so much unchecked power. Maybe a Trump hyperdrive in EO issuance will result in a bipartisan agreement to reign in the executive branch's power grabs, but I won't hold my breath.
31-01-2017, 12:41 PM
(31-01-2017 09:20 AM)kineo Wrote:  I don't disagree with you at all regarding Pence being the real danger.

I am straight, white, and cisgender, and Pence scares the shit out of me.

Saw a facebook post earlier saying we should all praise trump for not (currently) issuing this particular executive order - in much the same way you praise toddlers for not hitting. Counterpoint to that is he's just throwing a bone to distract from something else horrific. Which, sadly, the past week and a half bear plenty of testimony to.
[+] 2 users Like leigh7911's post
31-01-2017, 12:45 PM
(31-01-2017 12:35 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(31-01-2017 12:26 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Is there a single EO he has made that has nothing to do with demonizing one group or another?

Yes. Next question? (just google his EOs. you may not like them, but an EO in the news lately requiring removing two regulations for each new one passed is nothing about demonizing groups)

But legislating through EOs was great when Obama did it--I thought that was new awesomeness when Obama claimed these unlimited powers for the presidency to combat legislative inaction. Not so much now?

Unfortunately, now the GOP will love EOs and the Dems will hate them. In reality, presidents should not have so much unchecked power. Maybe a Trump hyperdrive in EO issuance will result in a bipartisan agreement to reign in the executive branch's power grabs, but I won't hold my breath.

Good to know he is not all about hate but also about removing the protections that protect the regular Joe from the unscrupulous. It's always better to know.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg