Coming soon to a fucked-up country near you!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2017, 12:51 PM
RE: Coming soon to a fucked-up country near you!
(31-01-2017 12:45 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(31-01-2017 12:35 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Yes. Next question? (just google his EOs. you may not like them, but an EO in the news lately requiring removing two regulations for each new one passed is nothing about demonizing groups)

But legislating through EOs was great when Obama did it--I thought that was new awesomeness when Obama claimed these unlimited powers for the presidency to combat legislative inaction. Not so much now?

Unfortunately, now the GOP will love EOs and the Dems will hate them. In reality, presidents should not have so much unchecked power. Maybe a Trump hyperdrive in EO issuance will result in a bipartisan agreement to reign in the executive branch's power grabs, but I won't hold my breath.

Good to know he is not all about hate but also about removing the protections that protect the regular Joe from the unscrupulous. It's always better to know.

The EO about 2-1 regulation repeal/issuance is a bit silly and arbitrary. A "regulation" can be 30 pages or it can be one sentence. So the order is entirely meaningless beyond the symbolism of trying to reduce regulations.

As I say about his promises to support "religious freedom", though, I don't see how he can make both the religious right and LGBTQ citizens happy about any attempt to do that. I think we will see his true colors on LGBTQ issues when he gets to this topic. I worry that he will bend to pressure from his party, from Pence, etc to throw LGBTQ rights away in exchange for support from religious nut jobs.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BryanS's post
31-01-2017, 12:53 PM
(31-01-2017 12:35 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(31-01-2017 12:26 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Is there a single EO he has made that has nothing to do with demonizing one group or another?

Yes. Next question? (just google his EOs. you may not like them, but an EO in the news lately requiring removing two regulations for each new one passed is nothing about demonizing groups)

But legislating through EOs was great when Obama did it--I thought that was new awesomeness when Obama claimed these unlimited powers for the presidency to combat legislative inaction. Not so much now?

Unfortunately, now the GOP will love EOs and the Dems will hate them. In reality, presidents should not have so much unchecked power. Maybe a Trump hyperdrive in EO issuance will result in a bipartisan agreement to reign in the executive branch's power grabs, but I won't hold my breath.

I have reservations about any president having that much power. However, the situations are completely different. Executive orders were a last resort for Obama because Congress fought everything he wanted to do (not on its own merits, but just because Obama wanted to do it). Trump doesn't have that excuse. Congress is on the same page with much of his agenda.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
31-01-2017, 01:06 PM (This post was last modified: 31-01-2017 01:16 PM by Mr. Boston.)
As far as allowing Obama's EO on LGBTQ protections on federal contracts The Donald is just throwing them a bone while he works on assembling a Supreme Court that will obliterate marriage equality, adoption rights, next of kin status, and any other federal recognition of same-sex partnerships. He's biding his time and playing the long con on this one I fear.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
31-01-2017, 01:08 PM
(31-01-2017 12:35 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(31-01-2017 12:26 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Is there a single EO he has made that has nothing to do with demonizing one group or another?

Yes. Next question? (just google his EOs. you may not like them, but an EO in the news lately requiring removing two regulations for each new one passed is nothing about demonizing groups)

EOs were not great when Obama did. Obama had to use them to do anything at all, because the house would not budge on anything. EOs were stop-gap measures. Both Congress and the Senate refused to work with him, so EOs were his only option. They helped, but we always knew that they would only last as long as the sitting POTUS would allow them to, while actual legislation is generally much better.

So it's not inconsistent to be angry at Trump's use of EOs. He doesn't need to use them to affect any change. He can and will work with Congress and the Senate to pass his and their agendas. But I'm sure he will do both. I am of the opinion that for Trump in particular, issuing EOs makes him feel like a king issuing his decrees- and he likes that.

But whatever. His EOs will only last as long as a sitting POTUS allows them to.
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post
31-01-2017, 01:43 PM
(31-01-2017 01:08 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(31-01-2017 12:35 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Yes. Next question? (just google his EOs. you may not like them, but an EO in the news lately requiring removing two regulations for each new one passed is nothing about demonizing groups)

EOs were not great when Obama did. Obama had to use them to do anything at all, because the house would not budge on anything. EOs were stop-gap measures. Both Congress and the Senate refused to work with him, so EOs were his only option. They helped, but we always knew that they would only last as long as the sitting POTUS would allow them to, while actual legislation is generally much better.

So it's not inconsistent to be angry at Trump's use of EOs. He doesn't need to use them to affect any change. He can and will work with Congress and the Senate to pass his and their agendas. But I'm sure he will do both. I am of the opinion that for Trump in particular, issuing EOs makes him feel like a king issuing his decrees- and he likes that.

But whatever. His EOs will only last as long as a sitting POTUS allows them to.

In any case, Obama took fewer EOs than W, Clinton, Reagan, Carter, Johnson, Nixon, and a whole host of others EOs. If anything, it is surprising how few he took, given it was almost the only way he could get anything done due to the open hostility he faced from the Republican Congress. Needless to say, there is a good chance most of those criticizing him for EO's remain blissfully unaware.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 3 users Like tomilay's post
01-02-2017, 04:43 AM

Best line: "...exhausting! It has been 11 days; the Presidency is supposed to age the President, not the public!"

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-02-2017, 05:08 AM
(31-01-2017 12:25 PM)BryanS Wrote:  I agree--this is a concern w.r.t. Trump, as this is something he has promised to address and support. I don't know how he can reconcile that position with protecting LGBTQ rights without throwing one group to the wolves.

Guess which group is Trump's pick for throwing to the wolves? The LGBTQ crowd who already hate him, or his evangelical supporters. God the *difficulty* he must be having making this *agonising* decision Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
01-02-2017, 05:11 AM
(01-02-2017 04:43 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

Best line: "...exhausting! It has been 11 days; the Presidency is supposed to age the President, not the public!"

The President sets men's fashion. So extra long tie, and dead animal on head. Boom! Laugh out load

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
01-02-2017, 09:00 AM
(01-02-2017 04:43 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  

I just about lost it when the leg fell loose over his face, and then when the tie came off Laughat
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post