Comment Chain on a Theist-Biased Video

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2016, 02:57 AM
Comment Chain on a Theist-Biased Video
I sometimes watch videos on YouTube that are obviously slanted in the theistic direction just to inoculate myself against confirmation bias. A while ago, I came across this one and got involved in a lengthy discussion with a theist. Not surprisingly, no minds were changed, and although I offered to continue the debate via e-mail, I eventually decided against it. It was already getting tiring and, since it wouldn't have been public record, I didn't think it would ultimately do any good, since debates are generally more for the education of an audience than that of either debater.

Fortunately, our comments haven't been buried by other comments yet. I'm TranslatorCarminum, and the debate starts at or near the top of the list.

Feedback is welcome, and in any case, I hope it proves interesting and/or helpful to some of you.

The only sacred truth in science is that there are no sacred truths. – Carl Sagan
Sōla vēritās sancta in philosophiā nātūrālī est absentia vēritātum sanctārum.
Ἡ μόνη ἱερᾱ̀ ἀληθείᾱ ἐν φυσικῇ φιλοσοφίᾳ ἐστίν ἡ ἱερῶν ἀληθειῶν σπάνις.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2016, 04:22 AM
RE: Comment Chain on a Theist-Biased Video
Nope.

I searched via Top Comments and Newest First and went through a few pages. Couldn't find your bit.

23-02-2016, 10:53 AM
(23-02-2016 04:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Nope.

I searched via Top Comments and Newest First and went through a few pages. Couldn't find your bit.

Shoot! It must've appeared that way because I was signed in. Try sorting it by "Newest first" and scrolling to 6 months ago. I believe my initial comment is the 7th one in that time frame (not counting replies).

The only sacred truth in science is that there are no sacred truths. – Carl Sagan
Sōla vēritās sancta in philosophiā nātūrālī est absentia vēritātum sanctārum.
Ἡ μόνη ἱερᾱ̀ ἀληθείᾱ ἐν φυσικῇ φιλοσοφίᾳ ἐστίν ἡ ἱερῶν ἀληθειῶν σπάνις.
23-02-2016, 11:46 AM
(23-02-2016 10:53 AM)Glossophile Wrote:  
(23-02-2016 04:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Nope.

Shoot! It must've appeared that way because I was signed in. Try sorting it by "Newest first" and scrolling to 6 months ago. I believe my initial comment is the 7th one in that time frame (not counting replies).

This is just one of the many compelling reasons to never use YouTube comment sections.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
23-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Is this guy a Christian comedian or is he just missing all the irony?

"If atheists are going to claim that the universe can pop into existence uncaused out of nothing then why doesn't everything do so?"

What part of the Universe do you think he didn't understand?

"If you're hungry for a pizza right now does it make more sense to order one or just to wait and hope?"

Oh ye of little faith!

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
23-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Frankey boy's comments are all based on the fallacy of the false analogy. He doesn't know that the universe "poped into existence" is the alternative to "god done it'. If spacetime were not already extant, those words are meaningless. He's applying principles he thinks (but really don't) apply to this universe, to what would have been "other" than it (as Carroll explains to Craig in their debate). It's a false application of a false analogy. Typical 1st Grade level theist bullshit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.