Commentary: Full Circle & popsthebuilder’s fireside chat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2015, 01:24 PM
Commentary: Full Circle & popsthebuilder’s fireside chat
OK, guys - less dancing and more talking. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
29-11-2015, 01:30 PM
RE: Commentary: Full Circle & popsthebuilder’s fireside chat
I don’t even know what the subject matter is yet so let me try and figure it out. All I know is that pops has a report he wants to share.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
29-11-2015, 02:04 PM
"It says that salvation, and purpose and meaning is for all."

It sounds like a generic Christian spiel is coming your way.

I wonder why he imagines his version is any different.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
29-11-2015, 02:08 PM
Well if Pops's reading of the report is right and salvation and purpose are for all, then I don't understand why he needs to be yammering on here. We're all gonna be saved whether we want to or not, so let's get on with more entertaining conversations.

It's going to be a short thread if Pops refuses even to try to provide some evidence for his claims.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
29-11-2015, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2015 05:16 PM by Full Circle.)
(29-11-2015 02:04 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "It says that salvation, and purpose and meaning is for all."

When I was a believer there were times when I was euphoric in my thinking that my personal god was going to save me and everything would be perfect and full of love etc. I could not wait to share my new found understanding with everyone. I ceratainly did not expect to be met with indiference or hostility to my beliefs.

Then I turned 14.

Late bloomer.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
29-11-2015, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 29-11-2015 03:21 PM by Mark Fulton.)
(29-11-2015 02:11 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(29-11-2015 02:04 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "It says that salvation, and purpose and meaning is for all."

When I was a believer there were times when I was euphoric in my thinking that my personal god was going to save me and everything would be perfect and full of love etc. I could not wait to share my new found understanding with everyone. I ceratinly did not expect to be met with indiference or hostility to my beliefs.

Then I turned 14.

Late bloomer.

Very good!

Pops is a consumer, a bottom dweller. He's been fed the bullshit, and swallowed it...hook, line and sinker.

We all want purpose in our lives. Churches know that, so they offer everyone Jeebus....the generic, default answer to a meaningless life. The consumer need not put in any effort for himself...all that's required is faith, and voila! Average Joe becomes a shining light, someone special, with something to look forward to, and a burning need to tell everyone else about it.

The church cashes in...

"Just put your donation in the plate, thanks, and you've paid for admission to the theme park...after you die. Please go out and tell everyone else about this fantastic deal."

It's a licence to print tax free money.
[+] 4 users Like Mark Fulton's post
29-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Pops claims

"I can give evidence for God."

Evidence...the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

"Faith and hope."

Faith...the belief in something for which there is no evidence. Otherwise known as superstition.

Hope...a feeling of expectation and desire for a particular thing to happen, also not reliant on evidence.

Pops has no evidence for God, and cannot use faith and hope as such.
29-11-2015, 02:56 PM
(29-11-2015 02:52 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Pops claims

Evidence...the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

"Faith and hope."

Faith...the belief in something for which there is no evidence. Otherwise known as superstition.

Hope...a feeling of expectation and desire for a particular thing to happen, also not reliant on evidence.

I got him to admit to the following

(29-11-2015 01:46 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  You know that I cannot provide the things that you would consider evidence.

perhaps there is hope after all Smile

[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
29-11-2015, 03:01 PM
(29-11-2015 02:56 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(29-11-2015 02:52 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Pops claims

"Faith and hope."

I got him to admit to the following

(29-11-2015 01:46 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  You know that I cannot provide the things that you would consider evidence.

perhaps there is hope after all Smile

Yes.

But then he claims he has evidence for God. He clearly hasn't accepted the agreed definition of "evidence." He has his own definition.
29-11-2015, 03:09 PM
popsthebuilder Wrote:You know that I cannot provide the things that you would consider evidence.
Of course, because "God" is non-falsifiable by its very definition.

I think "because mommy and daddy told me so" is about the extent of the evidence that you could manage to get from pops.

but really I think we're in for a lot more of "the universe looks pretty complex to me, therefore Yahweh Jehovah"

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post