Commentary: Full Circle & popsthebuilder’s fireside chat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2015, 09:58 AM
RE: Commentary: Full Circle & popsthebuilder’s fireside chat
(05-12-2015 09:50 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(05-12-2015 07:53 AM)julep Wrote:  God could save everyone, regardless--if he fucking felt like it. God could convince everyone of his existence and tell everyone clearly (rather than through garbled and contradictory religious texts) what he wanted them to do to help--if he fucking felt like it.

God could do even better than that, it could simply stop being concerned about what tiny mortals did and not concern itself with this insignificant planet or insignificant species. A real god would not need mortals for any reason, we would simply not be the focus of creation, we would be a byproduct of natural laws i.e. evolution.

Even if I were convinced of the existence of a god, I simply can't be convinced it would care to even bother with us considering the vastness of the cosmos. Only silly primates from this planet think they are important enough to merit a god's attention.
I agree with you completely about (theoretical) god's indifference to humanity. No salvation or damnation, whatever happens after death (nothingness) is the same for all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
05-12-2015, 10:17 AM
(05-12-2015 09:50 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(05-12-2015 07:53 AM)julep Wrote:  God could save everyone, regardless--if he fucking felt like it. God could convince everyone of his existence and tell everyone clearly (rather than through garbled and contradictory religious texts) what he wanted them to do to help--if he fucking felt like it.

God could do even better than that, it could simply stop being concerned about what tiny mortals did and not concern itself with this insignificant planet or insignificant species. A real god would not need mortals for any reason, we would simply not be the focus of creation, we would be a byproduct of natural laws i.e. evolution.

Even if I were convinced of the existence of a god, I simply can't be convinced it would care to even bother with us considering the vastness of the cosmos. Only silly primates from this planet think they are important enough to merit a god's attention.
Vastness...plus our uniqueness within that vastness makes for a compelling scenario.
05-12-2015, 11:06 AM
(05-12-2015 10:17 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-12-2015 09:50 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  God could do even better than that, it could simply stop being concerned about what tiny mortals did and not concern itself with this insignificant planet or insignificant species. A real god would not need mortals for any reason, we would simply not be the focus of creation, we would be a byproduct of natural laws i.e. evolution.

Vastness...plus our uniqueness within that vastness makes for a compelling scenario.

A baseless assertion.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
05-12-2015, 12:30 PM
(05-12-2015 10:17 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Vastness...plus our uniqueness within that vastness makes for a compelling scenario.

(a) you have no idea what else is in that 'vastness' to compare us to
(b) being "unique" is not the same as being important, or even of value

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
05-12-2015, 01:23 PM
(05-12-2015 10:17 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Vastness...plus our uniqueness within that vastness makes for a compelling scenario.

"Does one apple in a vast orchard think as much of itself as we do? or one leaf in the forest--or one grain of sand upon the sea shore? Do the pismires argue upon vexed questions of pismire theology--and do they climb a molehill and look abroad over the grand universe of an acre of ground and say "Great is God, who created all things for Us?"
- Letter to Olivia Landon (Clemens) 8 January 1870
-Samuel Clemens

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
05-12-2015, 01:37 PM
(05-12-2015 01:23 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

"Does one apple in a vast orchard think as much of itself as we do? or one leaf in the forest--or one grain of sand upon the sea shore? Do the pismires argue upon vexed questions of pismire theology--and do they climb a molehill and look abroad over the grand universe of an acre of ground and say "Great is God, who created all things for Us?"
-Samuel Clemens
All other life doesn't display dominion over all observable existence.

Not the same.
05-12-2015, 02:01 PM
(05-12-2015 01:37 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-12-2015 01:23 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  "Does one apple in a vast orchard think as much of itself as we do? or one leaf in the forest--or one grain of sand upon the sea shore? Do the pismires argue upon vexed questions of pismire theology--and do they climb a molehill and look abroad over the grand universe of an acre of ground and say "Great is God, who created all things for Us?"
-Samuel Clemens
All other life doesn't display dominion over all observable existence.

Not the same.

What the fuck does that even mean?

You are sooooooo deluded.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
05-12-2015, 02:20 PM
(05-12-2015 02:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(05-12-2015 01:37 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  All other life doesn't display dominion over all observable existence.

Not the same.

What the fuck does that even mean?

You are sooooooo deluded.
Wow.

It's the opposite of diluted.

You posted a quote.
That quote argued that we are irrelevant or similar to other species or as common as a grain of sand among the beach.

What I posted was that we are not similar to those things or anything else in existence as we have dominion over all that we can observe. This, and the fact that our planet is the only one readily observable to have advanced life is proof that we are both unique and potent.

We will never realize this potential unless work together as one body or one soul doing what is best for all.

Too diluted. No, wait, naive right?
05-12-2015, 02:35 PM
(05-12-2015 02:20 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Too diluted. No, wait, naive right?

No. Diluted is right. But it's not what you're meaning. Spelling is key.

In context:

Deluded means faith in unwarranted assertions.

Diluted means that we are as common as grains of sand. We are as meaningless as it seems. Sorry to burst your bubble, but given that new input, go out and do something fun today. Because....why not?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
05-12-2015, 02:36 PM
(05-12-2015 01:37 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  All other life doesn't display dominion over all observable existence.

Neither do we; we have limited dominion over an incredibly minuscule fraction of "all observable existence". Your arrogance is showing.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post