Commentary: Full Circle & popsthebuilder’s fireside chat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2015, 03:31 PM
RE: Commentary: Full Circle & popsthebuilder’s fireside chat
(29-11-2015 02:04 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "It says that salvation, and purpose and meaning is for all."

It sounds like a generic Christian spiel is coming your way.

I wonder why he imagines his version is any different.

Just to clarify for anybody who hasn't been following this guy... he doesn't claim to be christian, or any other denomination. He had a personal hallucination revelation and is, as near as I can figure, some kind of panentheist. He makes comments about all religions being right in the sense that they are all tapping into this universal god/spirit/whatever. Getting an actual definition of what he believes is nearly impossible because he is so vague and often unable to compose sentences that even parse.

(29-11-2015 03:01 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  But then he claims he has evidence for God. He clearly hasn't accepted the agreed definition of "evidence." He has his own definition.

He equates belief with knowledge. The fact that he personally believes something means that he knows it to be true and we are all just fools for not accepting it because he can't be wrong because reasons.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
29-11-2015, 03:33 PM
(29-11-2015 02:56 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I got him to admit to the following

(29-11-2015 01:46 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  You know that I cannot provide the things that you would consider evidence.

perhaps there is hope after all Smile

Good luck. I've gotten that from him before. He just falls right back onto the evidence being there if we'd just open our minds and accept it. It's woo all the way down.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
29-11-2015, 04:19 PM
(29-11-2015 03:33 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

Good luck. I've gotten that from him before. He just falls right back onto the evidence being there if we'd just open our minds and accept it. It's woo all the way down.

What’s that old saying? Don’t open your mind so much that your brains fall out.

I was bored, what can I say.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
29-11-2015, 07:03 PM
(29-11-2015 03:31 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(29-11-2015 02:04 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  "It says that salvation, and purpose and meaning is for all."

Just to clarify for anybody who hasn't been following this guy... he doesn't claim to be christian, or any other denomination. He had a personal hallucination revelation and is, as near as I can figure, some kind of panentheist. He makes comments about all religions being right in the sense that they are all tapping into this universal god/spirit/whatever. Getting an actual definition of what he believes is nearly impossible because he is so vague and often unable to compose sentences that even parse.

(29-11-2015 03:01 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  But then he claims he has evidence for God. He clearly hasn't accepted the agreed definition of "evidence." He has his own definition.

He equates belief with knowledge. The fact that he personally believes something means that he knows it to be true and we are all just fools for not accepting it because he can't be wrong because reasons.

Ugh, he talks about universal this or that, but then he goes into a need for salvation, a specifically Christian doctrine and not universal by any stretch. It all strikes me as a half thought out religious concept, but different enough that he can proclaim he has some sort of special knowledge.
This is the kind of crap I've come to expect from theists, it seems that Christianity is the jumping off point into whatever flavor of delusion you can concoct in your mind.

[Image: ralph_wiggum___im_special_by_eduardorivera-d4nmrel.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 5 users Like TheInquisition's post
29-11-2015, 08:28 PM
(29-11-2015 03:31 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

Oh.

Thanks for filling me in.

Not sure I can be bothered commenting if his woo isn't Christian.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
29-11-2015, 09:40 PM
*Groan*

Here we go again with the 'Oh.. native American/Australian/whatever all agrees with (What ever weird idea Pops has about their belief).' line of thinking.

I was going to put 'Reasoning'... but I sadly don't see a lot of that from Pop's postings. No
[+] 4 users Like Peebothuhul's post
29-11-2015, 09:59 PM
Commentary: Full Circle & popsthebuilder’s fireside chat
I have Cree blood (grandmother). Yeah, no.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
29-11-2015, 10:14 PM
popsthebuilder Wrote:Native American beliefs line up with belief in a creative source too, and teach many of the same ways of being.

How is that evidence for the existence of a creator deity?
All that shows is that humans are creative, and like to find patterns in things and make up simple, relatable stories to explain things that they don't understand.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
30-11-2015, 08:54 AM
(29-11-2015 03:01 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  

Yes.

But then he claims he has evidence for God. He clearly hasn't accepted the agreed definition of "evidence." He has his own definition.
Yes I do. Just because I have proof and evidence that I cannot reproduce doesn't mean its not evidence to me. Does that conform to what you define as evidence to fit your argument? No. Is it still proof? Yes to the individual who experienced it.
30-11-2015, 08:58 AM
(29-11-2015 03:09 PM)cactus Wrote:  
popsthebuilder Wrote:You know that I cannot provide the things that you would consider evidence.
Of course, because "God" is non-falsifiable by its very definition.

I think "because mommy and daddy told me so" is about the extent of the evidence that you could manage to get from pops.

but really I think we're in for a lot more of "the universe looks pretty complex to me, therefore Yahweh Jehovah"
Wow. Atheist for approximately 25 years. My parents and upbringing have nothing directly to with my faith. Also, real Faith is knowledge of things that cannot be seen by all or necessarily by the believer. It isn't superstition. It is the knowledge of things not readily perceivable to all.