Commentary on Paleophyte and Agnostic Shane

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2016, 11:55 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 01:33 AM by Agnostic Shane.)
RE: Commentary on Paleophyte and Agnostic Shane
Uncertainty is what drives us whilst certainty destroys us.

My evidence:

I often wondered what saves a person from comitting suicide. What motivates an individual to continue living.
After studying numerous reports from attempted suicide cases one trend became common amongst all.
Uncertainty motivates us.
If a man isn't sure what the future has in store for him he is less likely to commit suicide than a man that believes he knows his future to be hopeless.
Hope is the belief in uncertainty, whilst hopelessness is the belief in certainty.

Every Agnostic/Atheist has a reason they opted out of Theism. My reason came from my heart & not my mind. Instinct & not rationalization.
If heaven were a place where I would know everything, I would rather die.
If I suddenly became omniscient after death I would rather cease to exist.
If I no longer feared death I would rather be dead.
My greatest fear is knowing everything & running out of questions to ask.

I'm not describing a rational world view here, these are not things that I came to believe after attempting to rationalize the world. I'm describing personal motivation absent any form of cognitive rationalization. A primal instinct that drives me to purpose.
I could be wrong, but I may never fully know.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2016, 01:35 AM
(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I understand you now. You're basically saying "in the event that it proves to be some negative abnormality of the mind, you wish me a healthy recovery". Am I right?

Well... if your abnormality of the mind if the result of physical injury then yes, yes I do wish you a speedy recovery. Yes

Though, if your disorder is more of a psychosis of the mind then I hope your treatment is dealing with said issue well.. as well.

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Indeed I would wish the same on myself were it true that it is some form of negative abnormality.

Consider I'm sorry. I missed the part where there can ever be anything 'good' about any abnormality.

Hence the term (As well as the joke "I got it from a fellow. His name was 'Abby'. Um... 'Abby normal'." ) 'abnormal'.

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  You still haven't gotten the point I have made (I think) or at he very least failed to address it.

I'm sorry? Consider What was it I was supposed to be addressing? The disability which you keep failing to mention and which I've repeatedly stated I'm not going to bother guessing at.. Since, y'know, you actually know what it is and can tell people.

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  As stated before, it is not the abnormality that is negative or positive within itself, but how you use it.

Again... if it's not 'Abnormal' then it's not a problem, hence every thing is normal. If it is abnormal then I'm hoping the treatment/etc is working/effective.

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  It's a matter of perspective in the end. Do you understand the meaning of what I just said or should we just leave it as a temporary communication barrier until further notice?

I am happy to admit that I'm not totally sure of what you are trying to convey. Yes

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Another assumption I think you are making is that I already know the answer and I'm deriving some sort of twisted pleasure from making everyone guess.

Well.. since you are the one posting that you have an mental disability. That you've twice corrected/insisted that I also use the term disability then I am kind of hoping that you know what this disability that you are posting about is.

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I don't see it that way, but rather (being the skeptic that I am), rather than take the diagnosis I have been given by those "would be authorities" in the field as the only possible answer I chose to keep the question open in the hopes that if they were wrong the better truth may one day be recognized.

How you treat the advice of others is nothing I can do anything about. I do not know what your disability is. I am not going to guess since all you have to do is post what the disability is. Simple.

That you might be skeptical of what others tell you is commendable. However, as others have posted/pointed out, the weight/value you should be giving others should be based upon their field of expertise.

If a Doctor says I'm ill, I'll be more believing of them.

If a mechanic says my car is needing repairs, I'll be more believing of them.

And so on.

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  It's not a confirmation that I'm searching for, it's an objection.

The above post is totally up to yourself. Yes

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  It's not about curing or treating it, it's about controlling it.

Which is kind of the same thing in my view. Also, obtaining the help of others and professionals within the field of mental disabilities would also seem the order of the day. Yes

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  An example of which is the way I make a conscious effort to control my temper when replying to some of the most repugnant responses here. I will admit these forums provide quite a challenge for communication compared to the many others I have visited. I don't see myself leaving anytime soon Wink

Yes Well... I shall then see your other posting when you post them about the forums. As for how others respond to your posts? Well.. we are all individuals etc.

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  P.S. I think we may both agree there is quite a lot one can discern about an individual based solely on their writing patterns. What do you think?

By the way in which they use words? Or by the contents of their posts? Consider

I would say, at best, we receive a small glimmer as to the person on the other side of the screen by the words they leave behind.

Perhaps more telling is how others reply/answer posts is indicative of their nature. Consider
10-03-2016, 01:45 AM
(09-03-2016 11:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Uncertainty is what drives us whilst certainty destroys us.

My evidence:

I often wondered what saves a person from committing suicide. What motivates an individual to continue living.
After studying numerous reports from attempted suicide cases one trend became common amongst all.
If a man isn't sure what the future has in store for him he is less likely to commit suicide than a man that believes he knows his future to be hopeless.
Hope is the belief in uncertainty, whilst hopelessness is the belief in certainty.

Every Agnostic/Atheist has a reason they opted out of Theism. My reason came from my heart & not my mind. Instinct & not rationalization.

I'm not describing a rational world view here, these are not things that I came to believe after attempting to rationalize the world. I'm describing personal motivation absent any form of cognitive rationalization. A primal instinct that drives me to purpose.

Okay.. others will weigh in on your waxed lyrical philosophical sophistry above and I'll put my thoughts to screen below.

(09-03-2016 11:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Uncertainty is what drives us whilst certainty destroys us.

You, perhaps. I am pretty sure such feelings don't 'drive' me.

(09-03-2016 11:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  My evidence:

I often wondered what saves a person from committing suicide. What motivates an individual to continue living.

That's not evidence, that's your opinion.

As some one who's had a brush with thinking that a 'Me' shaped hole in reality would be the best thing for every one else I can say that the above thoughts were not at all within my mind.

Being in such a state of mind is something that can barely be empathized with and it's professionals who do pretty much nothing but study such things or the sufferers there-of who would definitely know.

Others who have far more serious interactions with the 'Black dog' will give their personal experiences shortly, I'm betting.

(09-03-2016 11:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Uncertainty motivates us.

Again, it may be something which motivates you. I does not motivate me.

(09-03-2016 11:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  If a man isn't sure what the future has in store for him he is less likely to commit suicide than a man that believes he knows his future to be hopeless.

You are welcome to you opinion. It would seem, from my limited personal experience, too not fit the reality of others.

(09-03-2016 11:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Hope is the belief in uncertainty, whilst hopelessness is the belief in certainty.

Again, you welcome to your opinion. Myself and others will probably disagree.

Thumbsup
10-03-2016, 01:47 AM
(10-03-2016 01:35 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I understand you now. You're basically saying "in the event that it proves to be some negative abnormality of the mind, you wish me a healthy recovery". Am I right?

Well... if your abnormality of the mind if the result of physical injury then yes, yes I do wish you a speedy recovery. Yes

Though, if your disorder is more of a psychosis of the mind then I hope your treatment is dealing with said issue well.. as well.

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Indeed I would wish the same on myself were it true that it is some form of negative abnormality.

Consider I'm sorry. I missed the part where there can ever be anything 'good' about any abnormality.

Hence the term (As well as the joke "I got it from a fellow. His name was 'Abby'. Um... 'Abby normal'." ) 'abnormal'.

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  You still haven't gotten the point I have made (I think) or at he very least failed to address it.

I'm sorry? Consider What was it I was supposed to be addressing? The disability which you keep failing to mention and which I've repeatedly stated I'm not going to bother guessing at.. Since, y'know, you actually know what it is and can tell people.

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  As stated before, it is not the abnormality that is negative or positive within itself, but how you use it.

Again... if it's not 'Abnormal' then it's not a problem, hence every thing is normal. If it is abnormal then I'm hoping the treatment/etc is working/effective.

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  It's a matter of perspective in the end. Do you understand the meaning of what I just said or should we just leave it as a temporary communication barrier until further notice?

I am happy to admit that I'm not totally sure of what you are trying to convey. Yes

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Another assumption I think you are making is that I already know the answer and I'm deriving some sort of twisted pleasure from making everyone guess.

Well.. since you are the one posting that you have an mental disability. That you've twice corrected/insisted that I also use the term disability then I am kind of hoping that you know what this disability that you are posting about is.

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I don't see it that way, but rather (being the skeptic that I am), rather than take the diagnosis I have been given by those "would be authorities" in the field as the only possible answer I chose to keep the question open in the hopes that if they were wrong the better truth may one day be recognized.

How you treat the advice of others is nothing I can do anything about. I do not know what your disability is. I am not going to guess since all you have to do is post what the disability is. Simple.

That you might be skeptical of what others tell you is commendable. However, as others have posted/pointed out, the weight/value you should be giving others should be based upon their field of expertise.

If a Doctor says I'm ill, I'll be more believing of them.

If a mechanic says my car is needing repairs, I'll be more believing of them.

And so on.

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  It's not a confirmation that I'm searching for, it's an objection.

The above post is totally up to yourself. Yes

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  It's not about curing or treating it, it's about controlling it.

Which is kind of the same thing in my view. Also, obtaining the help of others and professionals within the field of mental disabilities would also seem the order of the day. Yes

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  An example of which is the way I make a conscious effort to control my temper when replying to some of the most repugnant responses here. I will admit these forums provide quite a challenge for communication compared to the many others I have visited. I don't see myself leaving anytime soon Wink

Yes Well... I shall then see your other posting when you post them about the forums. As for how others respond to your posts? Well.. we are all individuals etc.

(09-03-2016 10:10 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  P.S. I think we may both agree there is quite a lot one can discern about an individual based solely on their writing patterns. What do you think?

By the way in which they use words? Or by the contents of their posts? Consider

I would say, at best, we receive a small glimmer as to the person on the other side of the screen by the words they leave behind.

Perhaps more telling is how others reply/answer posts is indicative of their nature. Consider
What disability? No one said anything about a disability as yet. I made reference of a diagnosed disorder. I won't throw out the possibility that it is a form of disability but can you at least show what led you to come to that conclusion? Unless that was a typo or you are of the opinion that disorders and disabilities are one and the same. In that case I'm guessing you either never reviewed the article I linked or quite simply chose to ignore it.
10-03-2016, 01:51 AM
(10-03-2016 01:47 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  What disability? No one said anything about a disability as yet. I made reference of a diagnosed disorder. I won't throw out the possibility that it is a form of disability but can you at least show what led you to come to that conclusion? Unless that was a typo or you are of the opinion that disorders and disabilities are one and the same. In that case I'm guessing you either never reviewed the article I linked or quite simply chose to ignore it.

Okay... it's gone from disability to disorder.

Right, got-cha. Yes

So, when you're ready to let every one here on the forums know what it is? Then great. Thumbsup
10-03-2016, 01:53 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 02:45 AM by Agnostic Shane.)
(10-03-2016 01:45 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  

My evidence:

Okay.. others will weigh in on your waxed lyrical philosophical sophistry above and I'll put my thoughts to screen below.

You, perhaps. I am pretty sure such feelings don't 'drive' me.

(09-03-2016 11:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  My evidence:

That's not evidence, that's your opinion.

As some one who's had a brush with thinking that a 'Me' shaped hole in reality would be the best thing for every one else I can say that the above thoughts were not at all within my mind.

Being in such a state of mind is something that can barely be empathized with and it's professionals who do pretty much nothing but study such things or the sufferers there-of who would definitely know.

Others who have far more serious interactions with the 'Black dog' will give their personal experiences shortly, I'm betting.

(09-03-2016 11:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Uncertainty motivates us.

Again, it may be something which motivates you. I does not motivate me.

(09-03-2016 11:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  If a man isn't sure what the future has in store for him he is less likely to commit suicide than a man that believes he knows his future to be hopeless.

You are welcome to you opinion. It would seem, from my limited personal experience, too not fit the reality of others.

(09-03-2016 11:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Hope is the belief in uncertainty, whilst hopelessness is the belief in certainty.

Again, you welcome to your opinion. Myself and others will probably disagree.

Thumbsup
Barriers to communication via the bias nature of our thought process always seem to plague me.
The "US" in question is in reference to the attempted suicide victims.
10-03-2016, 02:00 AM
(10-03-2016 01:53 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Barriers to communication via the bias nature of our thought process always seem to plague me.

For this there's naught I can suggest other than, perhaps, for you to be more concise or careful with your use/choice of words. Consider

(09-03-2016 11:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  The "US" in question is in reference to the attempted suicide victims.

That's not how I read/understand the usage of the rod given your sentence construction above. Consider

Perhaps try re-writing it? See how perhaps different words and sentence structure works to carry your meaning, then?
10-03-2016, 02:11 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 06:55 AM by Agnostic Shane.)
(10-03-2016 02:00 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(10-03-2016 01:53 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Barriers to communication via the bias nature of our thought process always seem to plague me.

For this there's naught I can suggest other than, perhaps, for you to be more concise or careful with your use/choice of words. Consider

(09-03-2016 11:55 PM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  The "US" in question is in reference to the attempted suicide victims.

That's not how I read/understand the usage of the rod given your sentence construction above. Consider

Perhaps try re-writing it? See how perhaps different words and sentence structure works to carry your meaning, then?
You got it right mostly.
The first us was directed at everyone but not in the form of an accusation, but rather a "Yes or No?" question. You answered it, but I will delve into your answer lower down in this post.
I think my problem is leaving too much unspecified details in the average sentences when attempting to communicate a point.
It didn't occur to me that you would correlate the 2nd "us" as reference to everyone after reading what I wrote about attempted suicide victims.
It maybe a direct by product of evolution similar to the uncanny valley theory. When attempting to understand an individual we imagine ourselves in their position sometimes subconsciously mimicking their thoughts and actions unto ourselves in an effort to properly understand what they are thinking.
I believe whilst doing so you didnt realize the 2nd us was not meant as a reference to your own personal experiences.
After all I never specified who the "us" was referring to in both instances so we are both to blame for the misunderstanding.
I for assuming you will deduce who the us is referring to and you for assuming the us was about you only.
Hopefully I can better my communication skills to reduce the likelihood of these occurances

Concerning what drives you:
Do these concepts in any way apply to your primal instinct for motivation.
I'm not asking if you have come to rationalize your motives before you make decisions.
I'm just curious to know what is your primal instinct.
What do you think motivates you to do something even when you don't have a clear objective to do so.
Absent any clear objective is it not a question that initiates purpose in these instances?
When studying human motivation could there be a better test subject than someone faced with a live or die option?
I never bothered to ask but,
What motivates you?

Maslow's Heirarchy of needs:
10-03-2016, 07:19 AM

Says the very same idiot who says he's certain of nothing.
You seem to be rather certain of that also. Facepalm
Are your SURE of that ?

So now the non-expert in Physics is now also a paragon of Psychology, and WITHOUT EVEN ONE reference posted, expects people to swallow his BIASED opinions on yet another subject.

It may drive you, bozo.
Don't project your garbage on others.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
10-03-2016, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2016 07:43 AM by Agnostic Shane.)
(10-03-2016 07:19 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Says the very same idiot who says he's certain of nothing.
You seem to be rather certain of that also. Facepalm
Are your SURE of that ?

So now the non-expert in Physics is now also a paragon of Psychology, and WITHOUT EVEN ONE reference posted, expects people to swallow his BIASED opinions on yet another subject.

It may drive you, bozo.
Don't project your garbage on others.
Bucky I'm beginning to think you need to see a therapist.
Why do you keep asking me if I am sure of anything, when it has been constantly repeated to you that as far as certainty is concerned I am closer to uncertainty than certainty about everything.
It's in my signature
It's further reiterated numerous times in the "What am I?" thread
I have never once on these forums answered your "are you sure of that?" questions with a yes or even made any statements that that lay claim to absolute certainty.
You make so many assumptions it's astounding. I expect people to swallow? Maybe this might ring a bell "It's not confirmation I seek, but rather objection". I'm quite possibly "anti swallow".
Yet here you are asking the question to the same individual again as if you somehow think the answer might be different this time. It's quite possible you may have some chronic disorder & a mental block of some sort. You really need to get that checked out.
Is it that you think when people speak it is supposed to always be from a position of certainty? I'm just trying to help you recognize your condition.
Hug You have my support. I will try not judge your Trollish nature from now on. I don't want to be seen as a bully to someone with your condition.