Commentary on Paleophyte and Agnostic Shane

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2016, 08:40 AM
RE: Commentary on Paleophyte and Agnostic Shane
(28-02-2016 08:21 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I have no biases except a burning desire to doubt everything unless I personally experience the evidence myself.

Fuck you. Everyone has biases, and the moment you think you don't, you're entirely unable to even begin attempting to recognize and correct them. Dodgy

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-02-2016, 08:49 AM
(28-02-2016 08:40 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 08:21 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  I have no biases except a burning desire to doubt everything unless I personally experience the evidence myself.

Fuck you. Everyone has biases, and the moment you think you don't, you're entirely unable to even begin attempting to recognize and correct them. Dodgy
Again the English language seems to evade you.
When someone says "I have no biases except..."
It is not the equivalent of saying "I have no biases period..."
Where is it even implied in my statement that I have absolutely no biases? The problem plaguing you and other users is you always jump to conclusions before properly reading a posters response.
On these forums I have been labelled a Solipcist which eventually got debunked. Now users like deese are attempting to label me a theist even when I have posted arguments against theism on these very same forums.
The attempts to label my bias fails each time because my bias is not static. It is based on the following statement:
"I have no biases except a burning desire to doubt everything unless I personally experience the evidence myself"
Label this bias and you will effectively have labelled me.
It's called Skepticism, & it's not even an extreme form of it.
28-02-2016, 08:52 AM
(28-02-2016 08:49 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 08:40 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Fuck you. Everyone has biases, and the moment you think you don't, you're entirely unable to even begin attempting to recognize and correct them. Dodgy
Again the English language seems to evade you.
Where is it even implied in my statement that I have absolutely no biases? The problem plaguing you and other users is you always jump to conclusions before properly reading a posters response.
On these forums I have been labelled a Solipcist which eventually got debunked. Now users like deese are attempting to label me a theist even when I have posted arguments against theism on these very same forums.
The attempts to label my bias fails each time because my bias is not static. It is based on the following statement:
"I have no biases except a burning desire to doubt everything unless I personally experience the evidence myself"

If you think that 'skepticism' is your only bias, you're even dumber than I thought... Facepalm

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
28-02-2016, 09:00 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2016 09:10 AM by Agnostic Shane.)
(28-02-2016 08:52 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 08:49 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Again the English language seems to evade you.

If you think that 'skepticism' is your only bias, you're even dumber than I thought... Facepalm
The bias isn't the skepticism. I am not biased to skepticism, but rather from the results of it. The bias is the resulting probabilities that I gather based on the evidence I personally experience.
Skepticism is simply the method by which I test the validity of claims. Every scientist must undergo some form of skepticism.
You want to know what groups classify as the opposite of skepticism? Gnostic theism & gnostic atheism.
I think we are all secretly skeptics at some point in our lives. I simply choose to voice my skepticism whenever I come across a claim that I have reason to doubt. Removal of these doubts via the scientific method is how I ascertain the probability of truth. Even then I still do not hold to assertions of absolute truth but only within the realm of my personal experience.
See my signature.
28-02-2016, 09:10 AM
Please explain what you mean by:

Quote:...personally experience the evidence myself

Please explain:

Quote:extreme atheism
28-02-2016, 09:11 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2016 09:22 AM by Agnostic Shane.)
(28-02-2016 09:10 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Please explain what you mean by:

Quote:...personally experience the evidence myself

Please explain:

Quote:extreme atheism
Edited. See above
Gnostic theism
Gnostic atheism

Personally experience the evidence myself:
If you tell me the earth is flat/round I will not believe it unless I do some tests of my own.
I do not act based on personal beliefs however.
Only the statiscal probability of the outcomes given the data provided at the current point in time.
This includes validity of source and other factors.
Eg. A theist believes praying to god will save them from ailment but they still go to the doctor for treatment.
28-02-2016, 09:17 AM
(28-02-2016 09:00 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  The bias isn't the skepticism. I am not biased to skepticism, but rather from the results of it. The bias is the resulting probabilities that I gather based on the evidence I personally experience.
Skepticism is simply the method by which I test the validity of claims. Every scientist must undergo some form of skepticism.
You want to know what groups classify as the opposite of skepticism? Gnostic theism & gnostic atheism.

I think we are all secretly skeptics at some point in our lives. I simply choose to voice my skepticism whenever I come across a claim that I have reason to doubt. Removal of these doubts via the scientific method is how I ascertain the probability of truth. Even then I still do not hold to assertions of absolute truth but only within the realm of my personal experience.
See my signature.

I... must admit... to finding your use of words slightly confusing.

There must be some things you accept? The Moon landings? Most of the science of Astronomy or Oceanography?

That you state,

"Even then I still do not hold to assertions of absolute truth but only within the realm of my personal experience."

Which is, for a lot of cases, simply impossible. So you would seem to be stuck with either having to accept what others say/have discovered/written about/etc... or... Consider

Well.. what is it you do about claims regarding... Anthropology? Or Archaeology? Or Aerodynamics? To name a few subjects......
28-02-2016, 09:23 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2016 09:39 AM by Agnostic Shane.)
(28-02-2016 09:17 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 09:00 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  The bias isn't the skepticism. I am not biased to skepticism, but rather from the results of it. The bias is the resulting probabilities that I gather based on the evidence I personally experience.

See my signature.

I... must admit... to finding your use of words slightly confusing.

There must be some things you accept? The Moon landings? Most of the science of Astronomy or Oceanography?

That you state,

"Even then I still do not hold to assertions of absolute truth but only within the realm of my personal experience."

Which is, for a lot of cases, simply impossible. So you would seem to be stuck with either having to accept what others say/have discovered/written about/etc... or... Consider

Well.. what is it you do about claims regarding... Anthropology? Or Archaeology? Or Aerodynamics? To name a few subjects......
Read above. I expected you would ask that so I tried to edit a response in advance?

Some may view it as a form of hypocrisy & I'm sure most Atheists will consider theists hypocrites in this regard. I am not a Theist btw.
I would like to make a clear distinction:
People that tell others to do something and yet they themselves don't follow the same advice I consider to be hipocrites
People that believe in something yet don't fully practice their belief aren't hypocrites in my opinion.
They come from two seperate decision making parts of the brain. Take for instance a bitter sweet relationship between lovers.
28-02-2016, 09:37 AM
(28-02-2016 09:23 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Read above. I expected you would ask that so I tried to edit a response in advance

I saw/read your edit and... I am still puzzled.

Are you saying you are seeking masters degrees in pretty much all the sciences so as to be able to verify all the things? Consider

Really? I am still finding your way of thinking.. odd.

How will you verify the battle of Waterloo? Travel to that part of the countryside and check the terrain and any surviving buildings to see if they match the history that's been recorded? Or Caesar's battle of Alaesia? (To name a few)

How might you verify Stephen Hawkins's works on Astrophysics? By gaining a similar level of education yourself?

I understand the "Take what people say/is written with a grain of salt" thing but you, Sir, seem to be seeking extremes.

I again point out how more than passing strange I find your stance on 'Being skeptical' and then your stating of the level of skepticism you exhibit I find borders on the incredulous.

Consider

Looking forwards to possible clarifications. *Bows*
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
28-02-2016, 09:41 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2016 09:58 AM by Agnostic Shane.)
(28-02-2016 09:37 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 09:23 AM)Agnostic Shane Wrote:  Read above. I expected you would ask that so I tried to edit a response in advance

I saw/read your edit and... I am still puzzled.

Are you saying you are seeking masters degrees in pretty much all the sciences so as to be able to verify all the things? Consider

Really? I am still finding your way of thinking.. odd.

How will you verify the battle of Waterloo? Travel to that part of the countryside and check the terrain and any surviving buildings to see if they match the history that's been recorded? Or Caesar's battle of Alaesia? (To name a few)

How might you verify Stephen Hawkins's works on Astrophysics? By gaining a similar level of education yourself?

I understand the "Take what people say/is written with a grain of salt" thing but you, Sir, seem to be seeking extremes.

I again point out how more than passing strange I find your stance on 'Being skeptical' and then your stating of the level of skepticism you exhibit I find borders on the incredulous.

Consider

Looking forwards to possible clarifications. *Bows*
It is not as uncommon as you may think.
Why do you double/triple check your work before giving up an examination paper?
In fact it is common practice amongst students to use all of the remaining time to review their answers before submitting their Exam papers.
It is the more logical approach to getting the most accurate answers.

If my current life goals requires me to walk on the moon then I would be fully justified in collecting as much data as I personally can before making a decision to walk on the moon.
You seem to think that physical examination of evidence is The only form of evidence I am referring to. It is not. I am making a distinction between never actually studying the evidence provided vs giving it some thought before making a decision. The former being blind faith in the words of another.
If my own personal data is contrary to the belief of others that I will survive the journey I simply will not choose to go to the moon.
If I failed to gather the physical data myself & I still have a strong desire to go to the moon then my next step would be to use the statistical probability of evidence provided to me by others coupled with the validity of the claims and then make my decision.
It's called the decision making process. We do it everyday, I only break it down into steps.