Commentary on Q and Mark

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2016, 07:55 PM
RE: Commentary on Q and Mark
(14-01-2016 07:10 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 05:10 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  The bit about Paul being beaten by the Romans reminds me of something I read just the other day (in E.P. Sanders' Paul: A Short Introduction). In one of his letters, Paul claims to have been beaten "countless times" -- and then immediately proceeds to count them.

Laugh out load

YepBig Grin

The point is (here) that he doesn't say who has beaten him...he definitely doesn't say it was "the Romans." I'm pretty sure about this, but would be happy to be corrected by our "expert."

Mayhaps he beat his meat countless times as many of us have!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
15-01-2016, 04:05 AM
(14-01-2016 07:55 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 07:10 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  YepBig Grin

The point is (here) that he doesn't say who has beaten him...he definitely doesn't say it was "the Romans." I'm pretty sure about this, but would be happy to be corrected by our "expert."

all of us
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2016, 06:32 AM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2016 07:42 AM by TheInquisition.)
(14-01-2016 07:55 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 07:10 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  YepBig Grin

He was religious, so maybe someone else besides Rosy palm and her 5 sisters:

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
20-01-2016, 08:28 AM
From reading some of your postings Mark, it appears that Marcion himself may have had a hand in authoring some of these writings of Paul.

Marcion and Philo were certainly talking about a different god than YHWH.

Maybe Philo has the early version of a loving god different from the OT god and then Marcion took the idea and ran with it, to the point of being called a heretic.

Do you think a lot of the teachings of Paul were simply those that Philo had? Was there some fundamental difference or did Paul simply slap his god's name tag on a Gnostic kludge that he made up himself?

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
20-01-2016, 03:01 PM
Wait a sec, is Q going to assert that the Jews in Phillipi were Roman and those were the Romans that beat Paul?

Sounds like something the slimy weasel would do.

21-01-2016, 10:54 AM
(20-01-2016 03:01 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Wait a sec, is Q going to assert that the Jews in Phillipi were Roman and those were the Romans that beat Paul?

Do not doubt the scholarship of a hivemind.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
22-01-2016, 03:01 PM
(20-01-2016 08:28 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  From reading some of your postings Mark, it appears that Marcion himself may have had a hand in authoring some of these writings of Paul.

Marcion and Philo were certainly talking about a different god than YHWH.

Maybe Philo has the early version of a loving god different from the OT god and then Marcion took the idea and ran with it, to the point of being called a heretic.

Do you think a lot of the teachings of Paul were simply those that Philo had? Was there some fundamental difference or did Paul simply slap his god's name tag on a Gnostic kludge that he made up himself?

"From reading some of your postings Mark, it appears that Marcion himself may have had a hand in authoring some of these writings of Paul."

Indeed. Some authors have even postulated that Marcion totally invented the writings of Paul ie that he wrote them all. I think that's very unlikely.

"Marcion and Philo were certainly talking about a different god than YHWH."

Yep.

"Maybe Philo has the early version of a loving god different from the OT god and then Marcion took the idea and ran with it, to the point of being called a heretic."

Yes, it's possible

"Do you think a lot of the teachings of Paul were simply those that Philo had? Was there some fundamental difference or did Paul simply slap his god's name tag on a Gnostic kludge that he made up himself?"

I must admit I'm not very familiar with Philo. I can say that I haven't read this idea anywhere though. I can also tell you that I think Paul's theology was very much made up by Paul... he thought he was inspired by God and that gave him license to write down anything that suited his political agenda.
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post
22-01-2016, 03:06 PM
(20-01-2016 03:01 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Wait a sec, is Q going to assert that the Jews in Phillipi were Roman and those were the Romans that beat Paul?

It's nice to read that someone else has noticed Q's dishonesty.
22-01-2016, 04:48 PM
(22-01-2016 03:06 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  

It's nice to read that someone else has noticed Q's dishonesty.

Trust me, he is nowhere near the only one.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
27-01-2016, 12:41 PM
Mr Whack-a-mole pops his head up in the thread again and completely ignores your demand for asking for proof that Paul was beaten by Romans, but he throws out a lot of verses that says that Paul suffered. Facepalm

[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post