Common Core Standards- good/bad/ thoughts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2014, 08:03 AM
Common Core Standards- good/bad/ thoughts?
45 of 50 US States have adopted these education standards. I am wondering if anyone here has taken an in depth look at it and what your thoughts are. I am just starting to scratch the surface.

background: We have had our children at a college prep private school but the expense is killing us. We are looking into moving across town to a public school district with high test scores (for the area). The schools where we currently live are HORRID and the reason we ended up in private (We pulled my 5 year old out half way thru kindergarten after filing a police report). Its a huge change and kind of feels like we are jumping off a cliff with no parachute.
My children are in 3rd and 5th grades and for the most part I have been really happy with their education at the private….its just the price tag….and its going up every year.

So, if we go public school route--Common Core Standards are what they will be taught and in my experience, there's no deviating because its not on the test. I know this group of folks values education, your thoughts on this subject and if you have any links to help me sort this out is greatly appreciated.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2014, 05:08 PM
RE: Common Core Standards- good/bad/ thoughts?
I go to a school that served as the pilot program for Common Core standards in Mississippi. There's some good in it and some bad. I myself, being a senior, am not in the Common Core because it started my sophomore year. From what I've gathered, most of the students at my school hate it, but from what I've gathered the main reason that they hate it is because they're being held to higher standards than they had previously been held to.

One thing I personally do not like is that students are learning two years worth of material in one year and by the end of their sophomore year of high school they will have completed the equivalent of four years. Several of my friends in the program say that this doesn't allow them to learn much very well. I also have a problem with the fact that at the end of your sophomore year, your path is decided by the ACT (I don't know if this is just a Mississippi thing or what. Also for those unfamiliar, ACT is out of 36 points. The average score is a 23.). You have to make at least a 21 or a 23 (I can't remember which) to be able to continue to take AP classes. If you make below that, you're basically told that a four year college isn't for you and you begin working on getting either a two year degree or getting a trade from what I've gathered (some, all, or none of this might be wrong. Since I'm not in the program I don't know all of the details). My problem with this is that I know a few of my friends who are smart people, but they did poorly on the ACT. I have one friend who wants to be a graphic designer and when she first took the ACT during her junior year, she got an 18. Not a very good score, but not the worst. Had she been under Common Core, if what I've gathered is true, she wouldn't have been able to continue taking AP classes and basically would have been told she had to do something else. She ended up getting her score up to a 23, but that wouldn't matter.

There's also a grading system at my school that I do not personally like and I don't know if it's attached to the Common Core or not. We didn't get it until Common Core was introduced so I assume it is, but it might not be. It's on a 4 point scale and grades work one of two ways. If you get a 90 or above, you get a 4. 80-90, a 3. 70-80, a 2. Below that, a 1. If you don't do it, you get a 0. So it would be possible for two people, one of whom makes a 90 on every single test and the other who makes a 100 on ever single test, to end up with the same grade in a course. I think there's some teachers who will give make their grades more exact (like say they'll give you a 3.92 or something like that out of 4), but I'm not entirely sure and those teachers tend to be rare and are usually the AP or upperclassmen teachers. The other way is by a scale. Top 25% gets a 4, next 25% gets a 3, next 25% gets a 2, and the bottom 25% gets a 1. This way is even worse. In my brother's math class one person managed to make a 97 on a test. The next highest grade was a 64. Both students got the same exact grade in the grade book. Another example is that a student made a 93 on a project. Most students, however, got around a 100 or 97 or somewhere so the student who made a 93 ended up getting a 2.

Because I'm not in it, I can't speak with personally experience about the program, but this is just what I've seen at my school.
06-01-2014, 05:21 PM
Thank you!

You have given me much to think about and to research. When I tour the schools we are considering I will be asking many questions based on the things you mention above.

Thank you very, very much.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
06-01-2014, 05:27 PM
The concept of a firstworld country with a shity public educational system is something I can grasp because I live in a country with almoust outragously high educational standerds and a great public educational system.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]