Common Core. WTF? I will go Beastmode if schools force my kids to learn this mess.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2014, 06:50 AM
Common Core. WTF? I will go Beastmode if schools force my kids to learn this mess.
I've been hearing about it but never put too much thought into it.

I read this story this morning and as a parent, it makes me pissed.

What is this crap?

Why do we need to redo and redesign basic math?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2014, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2014 08:13 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: Common Core. WTF? I will go Beastmode if schools force my kids to learn this mess.
(26-03-2014 06:50 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've been hearing about it but never put too much thought into it.

What is this crap?

"If you haven’t heard of the Common Core program, it’s an education initiative funded and developed by two Washington, D.C.-based trade organizations, the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) and the National Governors Association (NGA). According to a story published Tuesday by the Washington Post, the program is not an official federal mandate, but it has become a hot-button issue among certain political groups that either support or oppose the idea. "

Well, there's your problem... Dodgy

Also, the NGA is currently headed by New Jersey Governor Chris Christie (of current 'Bridgegate' infamy), and is generally seen as a Republican power-brokering organization more so than anything else.

:EDIT:

Oh for fuck's sake...

"To help kids who are lacking comprehension, teachers use a technique called "close reading," focusing on one vocabulary word for the entire class. And thought-based questions, such as: “Why did the North fight the Civil War?,” would be swapped for fact-based ones, such as: “Who are the fathers [that Lincoln mentions]?” Other examples: Prioritizing nonfiction over literary fiction classics, and class discussions focused on evidence from the reading as opposed to creative thought. "

Yes, more rote memorization; because remembering names and dates is far more important and helpful than understanding reasons and causality... Dodgy

If you're in a history class and your teacher only tells you that Pearl Harbor was attacked on December 7th 1941, but doesn't explain why Japan attacked (and why knowing this is important); that system has failed you.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
26-03-2014, 07:41 AM
RE: Common Core. WTF? I will go Beastmode if schools force my kids to learn this mess.
there are a couple states that didn't buy into it (Minnesota?) and I heard on FB that Indiana just backed out.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
26-03-2014, 08:09 AM
(26-03-2014 07:29 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  If you're in a history class and your teacher only tells you that Pearl Harbor was attacked on December 7th 1941, but doesn't explain why they attacked (and why knowing this is important); that system has failed you.

As a teen, I enjoy history much more than someone my age. In my history class, during the WW2 section, I found myself educating the teacher on why the Japanese bombed us... kinda made me sad.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
26-03-2014, 08:17 AM
(26-03-2014 08:09 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 07:29 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  If you're in a history class and your teacher only tells you that Pearl Harbor was attacked on December 7th 1941, but doesn't explain why they attacked (and why knowing this is important); that system has failed you.

As a teen, I enjoy history much more than someone my age. In my history class, during the WW2 section, I found myself educating the teacher on why the Japanese bombed us... kinda made me sad.

The sad part is, History is especially botched in public schools in K-12. Once you get to college and if you ever have the privilege to take a real college level history course, they basically have to de-program all of the bullshit that passes for 'history' education in this country. It's taught to a standardized test with too much emphasis on memorizing trivial information, it's whitewashed in an effort to not step on anyone's toes, and it's more concerned with mythmaking than truth.

It's a fucking joke, and I'm not laughing... Angry

/rant

If anything, they need to make this required reading; especially for those on school boards!

[Image: Lies_my_teacher_told_me.jpg]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
26-03-2014, 08:20 AM
(26-03-2014 08:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(26-03-2014 08:09 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  As a teen, I enjoy history much more than someone my age. In my history class, during the WW2 section, I found myself educating the teacher on why the Japanese bombed us... kinda made me sad.

The sad part is, History is especially botched in public schools in K-12. Once you get to college and if you ever have the privilege to take a real college level history course, they basically have to de-program all of the bullshit that passes for 'history' education in this country. It's taught to a standardized test with too much emphasis on memorizing trivial information, it's whitewashed in an effort to not step on anyone's toes, and it's more concerned with mythmaking than truth.

It's a fucking joke, and I'm not laughing... Angry

/rant

I know. I found it really sad, but ironically my teacher was really cool about it. During graduation he told me I was favorite student in 20-sum years of teaching and that I was the only one who spoke against authority (with presentable facts). My love of history made the class fun for everyone, I miss that class...

/memories

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
26-03-2014, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2014 10:01 AM by Cathym112.)
(26-03-2014 06:50 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've been hearing about it but never put too much thought into it.

What is this crap?

Common core is painful, but I am wondering if perhaps the temporary pain is going to be worth it down the road. I know when I started taking Calculus, I struggled with abstract thinking in terms of mathematical principals.

Someone posted this very letter on FB.

And this was my response:

What Jack did right: Count down from 427 by 100s realizing that 316 needs to have 3, one hundreds taken out of it. This would have left him at 127 on the number line with 16 left to take out. His mistake was that he didn't then proceed to take out one 10 to get to 117, leaving 6 to take out, and finally moving by six 1s to get to 111 with zero left to take out. This is of course the descriptive way of doing the same thing as the guy who got frustrated because he learned shortcuts without knowing why they work or what principle of mathematics they invoke. BTW, this took me under 5 seconds to assess and solve.

The idea of common core is to teach people to interpret math through words and spatial visualization, not just regurgitate algorithms that are useful, but not illuminating. Parents are struggling because they never got that training, so they revolt. The problem that dad could solve by mimicking what he saw a teacher once do, he couldn't figure out visually or verbally, even though the answer I gave involved the exact same math rules (associative law and commutative law) as the old stacked addition shorthand he did. This is why, painful though it may be, common core is a vital change in the way we educate. We're going to have more problem solvers and thinkers, and fewer technocrats in the future.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
26-03-2014, 09:57 AM
I wish we had gotten to that age where kids can be trusted to just read the material, process the information, learn the information, and not have to do any tests on it.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post