Common Courtesy in America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Common Courtesy in America
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55FOUWg56bs

I just watched this video and it got me thinking; what exactly is 'common courtesy' in America? I've known since forever that it's virtually non-existent in the USA, even to the extent of common courtesy traits being used by Americans to insult people from other countries.

"Why don't you go queue up somewhere, stupid Brit." and "Britfag, why aren't you out holding doors for people?" are things that I get thrown at me all the time. Same with all of my internet using family members and the few school friends I keep in contact with online.

Just wondering exactly what is common courtesy in the USA? Not shooting people in the face if you make eye contact in the street? 0.o

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2011, 11:44 PM
RE: Common Courtesy in America
Question: Are your interactions with Americans limited to Xbox Live conversations?

Because then I would assume that your idea of an American is a 12 year old yelling at mom for more chocolate milk in between calling you a noobfag cocksucker with a tiny penis.

It's essentially the same here as the other countries I've been to (canada, germany, holland, spain, france.. though the french are assholes to americans). People will hold doors open if they can, they say "thank you" and "good morning." They only pull out the hardcore manners when they're on a date.

I figure it's just that your entire perception of us is internet based. And generally speaking, people become more of an asshole when they're on the consequence-free internet. They tend to let out their insecurities and inner racism more frequently. I used the usertag BigNickDigger (read carefully) before while gaming online and was called a nigger at least 4 times per game, even though I'm white.

So I guess what I'm saying is, stop all your complaining you pansy tea drinking wanker and get back to not brushing your teeth.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
07-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Actually I've only ever heard the "Why don't you go queue up somewhere, <insult>" from American tourists xD

My experience on the internet since 2001 of Americans it's generally just "lol britfag we saved you in WWII lol you have crooked teeth lol fagt go fuck the <king/queen/captain picard>" rather than a reference to manners, though youtube seems to have got big on the "Why aren't you off sorting out knifes and forks?" and "Go hold doors for people, brit" thing in the last couple of years.

Jesus Jumping Christ on a traction engine wearing a kilt and eating a marmite sandwich!!!
08-04-2011, 01:49 AM
Are you trying to piss each other off or does my sarcasm sensors needs calibrating?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
08-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Fucking brits are invading our good wholesome 'Merican internets! Smile lol

I am originally from the South, had to get out, and I can safely say that I try to always be courteous and hold open doors. That obviously does not hold true for everyone in the South! Now when I think of the South I think of that episode of Top Gear, the British version of course, where they drive through Alabama with writing on their cars like: Man Love is great and Hilary for President. They LITERALLY got ran out of town with rocks being thrown at them. You have to love 'Merican hospitality!

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
08-04-2011, 09:17 AM
I remember that episode. Straight out of a stereotype handbook. Dudes wearing flannel named Chet chasing after them in their pickup trucks because they took serious offense to the Nascar Sucks slogan on "them there queers" car. I almost expected someone to yell "Get em Skeeter!"

If I were elected president, my first move would be to get right of most of the southern states. Half the country's problems solved.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 2 users Like Buddy Christ's post
08-04-2011, 11:43 AM
I've been in the retail industry for over 6 years now and I will cynically call it UNcommon courtesy. The store I work for now has samples everywhere, we call them unmanned demos. Each one has its own trash can and there is usually at least one more strategically placed. And I'm still constantly cleaning up plates, portion cups and other bits of trash from demo. People are ridiculously rude, many of them don't acknowledge me even when I have eye contact and I greet them loudly. Even when I'm acknowledged, the customer didn't take the time to listen to my query. My "hello, how are you today?" Is often greeted with "no!" No what? No you're not doing? Or no I'm not worthy of your time?
Now the people I deal with who didn't originate here are a small population, but they have about a 90% rate of better manners. I love the british accent, and I can forgive the teeth for their usuallly impeccable manners Wink j/k, had to get a dig in. But I remember a polish girl I met at an old job. Quiet, well mannered and nice assets. And a hilariously prejudiced old man complaining for 5 minutes about foreigners, how bad they are for everything and everyone and should be kicked out. Then his wife tells me in a thick italianaccent that she hates when her husband goes off like that because SHE is technically a foreigner... and they had been married over 40 years. Yikes amurrica.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
08-04-2011, 12:12 PM
(08-04-2011 09:17 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I remember that episode. Straight out of a stereotype handbook. Dudes wearing flannel named Chet chasing after them in their pickup trucks because they took serious offense to the Nascar Sucks slogan on "them there queers" car. I almost expected someone to yell "Get em Skeeter!"

If I were elected president, my first move would be to get right of most of the southern states. Half the country's problems solved.

I could see something like that happening in the town I am from in TN. I am so glad I have moved out of the south. I have a particular dislike for Kentucky. Flat, boring and home of the Creationist museum. As far as I am concerned we could cut it out like a puzzle piece and deposit it into the Atlantic Ocean. After that we could fill the hole with trash, a welcome sight compared to Kentucky!

*no offense to anyone from Kentucky or currently living in Kentucky
**unless your lips don't touch when you talk and you think a magician made the universe ~6000 years ago or you work at the creationist museum Smile

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
13-04-2011, 10:15 PM
(08-04-2011 12:12 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(08-04-2011 09:17 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  I remember that episode. Straight out of a stereotype handbook. Dudes wearing flannel named Chet chasing after them in their pickup trucks because they took serious offense to the Nascar Sucks slogan on "them there queers" car. I almost expected someone to yell "Get em Skeeter!"

I could see something like that happening in the town I am from in TN. I am so glad I have moved out of the south. I have a particular dislike for Kentucky. Flat, boring and home of the Creationist museum. As far as I am concerned we could cut it out like a puzzle piece and deposit it into the Atlantic Ocean. After that we could fill the hole with trash, a welcome sight compared to Kentucky!

*no offense to anyone from Kentucky or currently living in Kentucky
**unless your lips don't touch when you talk and you think a magician made the universe ~6000 years ago or you work at the creationist museum Smile

I live in Kentucky and I approve of this post. Tongue Just let me get out first? We could at least be fair and let these people finish the ark "museum" before we dump them in the ocean, so they could be a little smug before it snapped in two. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
[+] 1 user Likes ebilekittae's post
13-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Don't worry kittae we'll be sure to let you know before we do it. You'd probably be the one doing most of the thinking of how to make it happen.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post