Common misconceptions about Islam

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Common misconceptions about Islam
Hey there!
As one of the few Athiest former muslims on TTA, Id like to present the common misconceptions about islam where ill be talking about how the media portrays Islam vs. reality. Just so if you happen to get in a debate with a muslim person you have your facts straight.

1. 72 Virgins:-
The myth: the common Idea that people who commit suicide bombings get 72 virgins to any common muslim is proposterous.
Ask any muslim and he will probably not even know what you are talking about. Personally, after a lifetime of indoctrination,
the first i've heard of this was on Fox news and I believed it right away because of their famous superb journalistic integrity!

The reality: An unspecified number of virgins ofcourse! and not just for suicide bombers, its for all muslims! I sometimes wonder though,
do women get vigins too? i imagine that would suck for them Tongue. And what about people who were married in life, will they cheat on their spouses with Angelic sexslaves?

Pesky Citations:
[Chapter (Surah) Ad-Dukhan (The Smoke)(44):54]
[Chapter (Surah) Ar-Rahman (The Most Beneficent(55):56]
[Chapter (Surah) Ar-Rahman (The Most Beneficent)(55):72]
[Chapter (Surah) At-Tur (The Mount)(52):20]

2. The Burka/Hijab:

Brief intro: The hijab is a mandatory cover for women that hides the head.
Also women must hide every other part of their body along with the head or it doesnt count.
The literal arabic translation for hijab is "obstruction or barrier".
This is done to prevent making men horny and rape them at first sight... in the middle of the street and so that only a woman's husband
can see any part of her. Women all over the arab world are either being forced by their parents to wear a burka from an early age
or guilted/scared/convinced into wearing it in their teens by parents and school.
The penalty for a woman that doesnt wear the hijab but is otherwise a good muslim is that god will never look to her when she is heaven
(sort of the diet coke of heaven).

The myth: all women must look like this
http://www.allmystery.de/dateien/rs35965...09566g.jpg
Cover all of their face except their eyes, and some women go the extra mile!
http://tinyurl.com/cz2fn46

The truth: all women must look like this
http://www.fashion-hijab.com/images/003896.jpg
a woman is allowed to show her face. the other form with the covered face is considered extreme and is not common in moderate countries/circles such as Egypt, Emirates and Lebanon.

Pesky Citations: Quran 24:31

unfortunatly i have run out of time for today, but i will do my best to keep this thread updated and add new clarifications.

As always feel free to ask anything about islam either here or by sending me a private message.

cya!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like Jackrabbit's post
12-12-2011, 01:13 PM
RE: Common misconceptions about Islam
(12-12-2011 12:55 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  1. 72 Virgins:-
The myth: the common Idea that people who commit suicide bombings get 72 virgins to any common muslim is proposterous.

There's mention of this myth in The God Delusion, but the writer (Richard Dawkins) says that a more accurate reading of the language translates "virgins" as "white raisins of crystal clarity". I didn't cite R. Dawkins here but rather what he cites, a language scholar named Christoph Luxenberg (you'll also notice that they make your point too, that there's no exact number given).

I had no idea that this myth about the Burka was wrong. Thanks for the education and links.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Starcrash's post
12-12-2011, 02:17 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 05:02 PM by kim.)
Thank you Jackrabbit, this is informative... please keep it coming! Smile

I would like to know more about the third /forth class citizenry of women.... a woman's husband, Father, any male relative... even her own son has greater authority over her. When I've addressed this issue, I've been met with the statement that Islam has greatly improved the role and conditions of the women in the Middle East.
I'm not seeing it.
I see women disfigured and even killed for not complying with certain islamic tenants. It's possible these might be "extreme" cases, but they are many and not isolated.

I also see rampant homosexual persecution.

Could you possibly also address something about punishment itself? I've wondered if there were specific laws or if someone just made up sadistic stuff they wanted to try on another human being.

Also... and this is not directed at you personally... but the comment ... I've heard it before and have wondered about it in very broad, generalizing terms...
Quote:This is done to prevent making men horny and rape them at first sight... in the middle of the street and so that only a woman's husband can see any part of her.
So... according to the islamic male psychology, women control men so men have to rape them ... to regain control? Does anyone realize that this is the same procedure pimps use to "turn out" or create and control prostitutes?

A) How can someone control what's in another's head?
Women don't make men horny. Men make themselves horny... certainly at the mercy of testosterone, but surely self control is part of the picture.

B) Why should any human being expect to be raped? Does this activity go unpunished, setting a precedent for this crime to continue?

C) People are owned... like a possession... an object? Slavery is alive and well, then?

I see men unwilling to take responsibility for their own sexuality, unwilling to take responsibility to control themselves, and they have concocted a religion which helps to enforce these childish devices. I could say a lot more....

I doubt many Islamic nations care all that much about economic tourism. Too bad; many lovely countries... I have the feeling that eventually, their intolerance will bleed them to stagnation... if it hasn't already.

Smile You write clearly and very informatively -I'd like to see more. If you could address any of the above, that would be wonderful. I'm sure many on this forum would like to know more about Islam.
Thanks again!

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
12-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Excellent thread! Thank you for sharing!

I'm curious about why people say that Islam must be spread and if people reject Islam then they must be killed. Is this true? I've assumed that this is not true, because Muslims and everyone else live peacefully together in almost every country in the world. In very few places is there hostility.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
12-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Did you ever hear the rumor that "virgins" was "white grapes?" I don't know Arabic, so perhaps this is a silly question to you. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-12-2011, 04:12 PM
Fabulous thread! I would love to read more of this!

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
12-12-2011, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 04:47 PM by Jackrabbit.)
(12-12-2011 02:17 PM)kim Wrote:  Thank you Jackrabbit, this in informative... please keep it coming! Smile

I would like to know more about the third /forth class citizenry of women.... a woman's husband, Father, any male relative... even her own son has greater authority over her. When I've addressed this issue, I've been met with the statement that Islam has greatly improved the role and conditions of the women in the Middle East.
I'm not seeing it.
I see women disfigured and even killed for not complying with certain islamic tenants. It's possible these might be "extreme" cases, but they are many and not isolated.

I also see rampant homosexual persecution.

Could you possibly also address something about punishment itself? I've wondered if there were specific laws or if someone just made up sadistic stuff they wanted to try on another human being.

Also... and this is not directed at you personally... but the comment ... I've heard it before and have wondered about it in very broad, generalizing terms...
Quote:This is done to prevent making men horny and rape them at first sight... in the middle of the street and so that only a woman's husband can see any part of her.
So... according to the islamic male psychology, women control men so men have to rape them ... to regain control? Does anyone realize that this is the same procedure pimps use to "turn out" or create and control prostitutes?

A) How can someone control what's in another's head?
Women don't make men horny. Men make themselves horny... certainly at the mercy of testosterone, but surely self control is part of the picture.

B) Why should any human being expect to be raped? Does this activity go unpunished, setting a precedent for this crime to continue?

C) People are owned... like a possession... an object? Slavery is alive and well, then?

I see men unwilling to take responsibility for their own sexuality, unwilling to take responsibility to control themselves, and they have concocted a religion which helps to enforce these childish devices. I could say a lot more....

I doubt many Islamic nations care all that much about economic tourism. Too bad; many lovely countries... I have the feeling that eventually, their intolerance will bleed them to stagnation... if it hasn't already.

Smile You write clearly and very informatively -I'd like to see more. If you could address any of the above, that would be wonderful. I'm sure many on this forum would like to know more about Islam.
Thanks again!

Please note that all im about to say is according to shariia law and the Quraan and each indivisual Islamic country applies laws differently, especially those that have been occupied by the Turks, British or French such as Egypt which has been occupied by the three Tongue.

The hijab is like a preventative measure, so for example a man can't say that the women was dressed slutty and "tempted" him, which turned him on and therefore he raped her/committed adultery with her.

As for islam on rape and sex in general, the following rules were given.

A man can only have sex with either one of his wives or his slave woman ("gareya" in arabic).
Extra marital sex is punishable by death by stoning.
Premarital sex punishable by 80 Lashes.
Homosexuals are stoned to death.
Masturbation is a sin.
The hijab is justified as "to protect womens honor"
Women are considered more like property or slaves, although not explicitly stated.
A man may divorce a woman (for any reason from being barren to not making him an Allahdamned sammich), but a woman may not divorce a man.
A man must pay dowrey for a woman to her father, and personally my shiekh justified that as "the price of using her".
A man is allowed a maximum of 4 wives (with the condition that he treat them equally). Muhammed had between 11-13 (scholars argue if his slave women that he later freed counted as wives), one of his wives, Aisha, was married to him at 9 but scholars agree that the marriage was consumated at her being 12 years old.

As for womens rights:

Women shouldnt be allowed to vote (some countries ignore that such as Egypt)
A woman gets half the inheritance as her brother, and 1/8 the inheritence of her father.
A woman's hand cannot be given in marriage except by the following (in decending order of priority), Father, Uncle, Brother, Son(if widowed) and then if now male family members are alive or available, the governor of the state.
And that order is also true in a woman's legal affairs, as the following order of people are considered the waley el Aamr (Legal Guardian).
Wifebeating is allowed and encouraged if a wife is being insolent (such as wasting buring lamp oil, an example stated in the hadith).
Rules on how to beat your wife state that you must not hit them in the fave and leave no marks.
Marital rape is no biggie and a woman who refuses her husband sex is cursed by angels until the sun rises.

I must clarify however that there is no law in the shariia that says women arent allowed to drive, that is just an ignorant practice by an ignorant backwards country (Kingdom of Saudi Arabia).

Please forgive me, its late at night, i have university tomorrow and i cant possibly cite all these facts (also im a bit drunk, first time drinking in my life celebrating first week as an athiest Big Grin). I will however tomorrow cite the most important/controversial ones and delete the incorrect ones. Feel free to google and send me corrections.
I have written all these to the full extent of my knowlage and education in Islam.

(12-12-2011 03:00 PM)kineo Wrote:  Excellent thread! Thank you for sharing!

I'm curious about why people say that Islam must be spread and if people reject Islam then they must be killed. Is this true? I've assumed that this is not true, because Muslims and everyone else live peacefully together in almost every country in the world. In very few places is there hostility.

Islam is spread by 2 ways, trade and war. If there is a campaign by the muslims, they will first ask for surrender of a state with conditions that they fight with the muslims and the citizens pay a yearly tribute. If they refuse, they are besieged.

It is important to note however that Islam has defined strict Rules of engagement, Killing of women, children, eldery and those who surrender is forbidden. Cutting trees and general purposeless destruction is also forbidden.

(12-12-2011 03:20 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Did you ever hear the rumor that "virgins" was "white grapes?" I don't know Arabic, so perhaps this is a silly question to you. Wink

I have only read that on wikipedia but i have never heard of it from other muslims or muslim scholars. It is said however apart from the virgins etc. people will also get fruits (that are better in every way than the ones on earth), and many more things that we do not know (Allah has planned something special for his peeps, how exciting!). Also, those muslims who drink liquor on earth shall not taste the liquor of heaven, The same punisment goes with sex, drugs etc.

As always i hope i've provided some good answers and always feel free to ask me anything either here or in a personal message.
[+] 8 users Like Jackrabbit's post
12-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the response! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
12-12-2011, 05:20 PM
Islam preaches peace

peace
http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-...z1gLIVM2Qj

peace!
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national...6216008331
12-12-2011, 05:32 PM
(12-12-2011 04:19 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  Please forgive me, its late at night, i have university tomorrow and i cant possibly cite all these facts (also im a bit drunk, first time drinking in my life celebrating first week as an athiest Big Grin). I will however tomorrow cite the most important/controversial ones and delete the incorrect ones. Feel free to google and send me corrections.
I have written all these to the full extent of my knowlage and education in Islam.

Thanks Jackrabbit -this is a great thread!
Big Grin Ha -only one week as an Atheist? Give it time, life gets even more fulfilling. Have fun but go easy with drinking, especially at first because your body might not be used to it -moderation is key. Wink

As an Atheist Muslim, what did your former Islamic beliefs consist of?

You write wonderfully -good luck with your studies! What is your area of study and what University are you attending?

Smile Hope you don't mind people picking your brain... I think many are thirsty for knowledge, especially when it's laid out so clearly.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post