Common misconceptions about Islam

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-12-2011, 05:45 PM
RE: Common misconceptions about Islam
(12-12-2011 05:32 PM)kim Wrote:  
(12-12-2011 04:19 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  Please forgive me, its late at night, i have university tomorrow and i cant possibly cite all these facts (also im a bit drunk, first time drinking in my life celebrating first week as an athiest Big Grin). I will however tomorrow cite the most important/controversial ones and delete the incorrect ones. Feel free to google and send me corrections.
I have written all these to the full extent of my knowlage and education in Islam.

Thanks Jackrabbit -this is a great thread!
Big Grin Ha -only one week as an Atheist? Give it time, life gets even more fulfilling. Have fun but go easy with drinking, especially at first because your body might not be used to it -moderation is key. Wink

As an Atheist Muslim, what did your former Islamic beliefs consist of?

You write wonderfully -good luck with your studies! What is your area of study and what University are you attending?

Smile Hope you don't mind people picking your brain... I think many are thirsty for knowledge, especially when it's laid out so clearly.

Indeed; I'll "second" all of this! Kim speaks the truth. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2011, 05:49 PM
(12-12-2011 05:45 PM)kineo Wrote:  As an Atheist Muslim, ...
Oxymoron.
Muslim is not an ethnicity, it is a religious belief.

There's an Irish joke whose punchline is
"Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?"

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
12-12-2011, 06:05 PM
(12-12-2011 05:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  
Oxymoron.

LOL - people get confused when I have said, "I am a Jewish atheist," or something about being an atheist Jew, and they say I can't be that. But in this case, I can, since it is an ethnicity. (I know a lot of people, even some Jews, find that odd...) But right, being a Muslim means you're a follower of Islam, although could someone say that they are Islamic, is in culturally Islamic? I am thinking 'no' that you'd say you're Turkish, or Syrian, or Kazakh, or whatever... but if I am wrong, I'd like to know.

I find this thread fascinating. I thought I had read that a lot of what turned into stereotypes about Islam actually had more to do with pre-Islamic cultural mores regarding women, especially, but it seems that was not correct, that it really stems out of the Koran/Sharia law - which may have been influenced by those cultures, of course, just like the Old and New Testaments? (I have never read the bible, any of them, so I don't know, I am assuming.)

Someone the other day was blabbing on about how violent the Koran was, and I said that, from what I have read about the OT, they all sound equally violent. That person did not like my opinion. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes JumpinJude's post
12-12-2011, 07:25 PM
(12-12-2011 06:05 PM)JumpinJude Wrote:  LOL - people get confused when I have said, "I am a Jewish atheist," or something about being an atheist Jew, and they say I can't be that. But in this case, I can, since it is an ethnicity. (I know a lot of people, even some Jews, find that odd...)

It's just that it's confusing to the gentiles. It would be clearer if there were two words, like 'Jewish' for one's religion, and 'Israelite' (or something) for one's ethnicity. Of course, then there are Israelis - more confusion.

But the confusion is often solved by the use of 'religious Jew' and 'ethnic Jew' or some such.

And there really are many different (sub?)ethnicities among Jews. The diaspora(s) spread them across the world.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-12-2011, 07:29 PM
(12-12-2011 07:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-12-2011 06:05 PM)JumpinJude Wrote:  LOL - people get confused when I have said, "I am a Jewish atheist," or something about being an atheist Jew, and they say I can't be that. But in this case, I can, since it is an ethnicity. (I know a lot of people, even some Jews, find that odd...)

It's just that it's confusing to the gentiles. It would be clearer if there were two words, like 'Jewish' for one's religion, and 'Israelite' (or something) for one's ethnicity. Of course, then there are Israelis - more confusion.

But the confusion is often solved by the use of 'religious Jew' and 'ethnic Jew' or some such.

And there really are many different (sub?)ethnicities among Jews. The diaspora(s) spread them across the world.

Exactly - I usually use terms like Ashkenazi Jew, Mizrahi Jew, Sephardic Jew, etc., as appropriate. For myself, I generally say "non-practicing Jew," but I find it's still confusing for some. (And yes, usually gentiles, although I have had at least one Jew say they did not get it.)

I remember when I was at the University of Maryland, I was told by quite a few people I couldn't be Jewish. Why? Because I did not have curly black hair and have a New York accent. Idiots.
12-12-2011, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2011 10:20 PM by GirlyMan.)
Hey, thanks for steppin' up ex-Muslim trying to jackrabbit your way to atheism (that's certainly how I did it Smile). Is it true that the Qur'ān prohibits interest on any loan (>0% interest = usury) or is that a common misconception? If true, does that mean you have to buy your homes and cars in cash?

(12-12-2011 06:05 PM)JumpinJude Wrote:  LOL - people get confused when I have said, "I am a Jewish atheist," or something about being an atheist Jew, and they say I can't be that.

Shit, and here I thought most Jews were atheists. Even the orthodox ones I work with smell suspiciously like atheists. Smells more like a shared moral and ethical code maintained by tradition to me than a religion, strikingly similar aroma to Buddhism to my nose. Do most Jews believe in a postmortem preservation of identity? What's their concept of an afterlife?

(12-12-2011 07:29 PM)JumpinJude Wrote:  I remember when I was at the University of Maryland, I was told by quite a few people I couldn't be Jewish. Why? Because I did not have curly black hair and have a New York accent. Idiots.

Hey ... that's my alma mater you're dissin' and I don't recall ever hearing that, let alone it being prevalent. Maybe just a difference in time periods. I was there from '84-'88. ... wait, did you go to UMCP, UMBC, or UMES 'cause I can see some opportunity for differences there.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
13-12-2011, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2011 01:06 AM by Jackrabbit.)
Oxymoron.

it makes no relevance as athiest muslim is stating the background or former religion. as in i used to be a muslim and now im not. Me saying "As a former muslim" im stating my qualifications to talk about Islam.

but i would please ask that people dont nitpick irrelivant lignuistic matters and stick to the main topic, or else what will make us different from the trolls who ignore everything in a post except its spelling mistakes. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Jackrabbit's post
13-12-2011, 06:09 AM
(13-12-2011 12:54 AM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  
Oxymoron.

it makes no relevance as athiest muslim is stating the background or former religion. as in i used to be a muslim and now im not. Me saying "As a former muslim" im stating my qualifications to talk about Islam.

but i would please ask that people dont nitpick irrelivant lignuistic matters and stick to the main topic, or else what will make us different from the trolls who ignore everything in a post except its spelling mistakes. Thank you.

Linguistic matters are what make communication and understanding possible. If you don't care to be understood, that's your choice.

13-12-2011, 06:20 AM
(12-12-2011 08:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Hey, thanks for steppin' up ex-Muslim trying to jackrabbit your way to atheism (that's certainly how I did it Smile). Is it true that the Qur'ān prohibits interest on any loan (>0% interest = usury) or is that a common misconception? If true, does that mean you have to buy your homes and cars in cash?

(12-12-2011 06:05 PM)JumpinJude Wrote:  LOL - people get confused when I have said, "I am a Jewish atheist," or something about being an atheist Jew, and they say I can't be that.

Shit, and here I thought most Jews were atheists. Even the orthodox ones I work with smell suspiciously like atheists. Smells more like a shared moral and ethical code maintained by tradition to me than a religion, strikingly similar aroma to Buddhism to my nose. Do most Jews believe in a postmortem preservation of identity? What's their concept of an afterlife?

(12-12-2011 07:29 PM)JumpinJude Wrote:  I remember when I was at the University of Maryland, I was told by quite a few people I couldn't be Jewish. Why? Because I did not have curly black hair and have a New York accent. Idiots.

Hey ... that's my alma mater you're dissin' and I don't recall ever hearing that, let alone it being prevalent. Maybe just a difference in time periods. I was there from '84-'88. ... wait, did you go to UMCP, UMBC, or UMES 'cause I can see some opportunity for differences there.

This was at UMCP - I started there in '88. It was sometimes referred to as SUNY College Park. As for most Jews being atheists, who knows? I know plenty of Jews who believe in God, and plenty who don't. In my experience, an afterlife isn't a major thing - and certainly not this BS about being frightened here on earth so you can get into heaven later! You're supposed to be a good person now but also enjoy life right now - and there's a bit of "you make your own hell on earth," which I have always agreed with. No deity or afterlife required.

As for linguistic points, I agree that asking questions is a good thing, and getting clarification is a good thing. "Atheist Muslim" threw a few of us, so we're asking - what's wrong with that?
13-12-2011, 06:35 AM
On the subject of Jewish atheists and Muslim atheists: As a Catholic atheist, I will share what Dara O'Briain has to say on the matter.

Now, on to Islam. I tend to think that Christians who criticise the Quran(Koran?) haven't read the bible. Or, more likely, they are just hypocrites.
Religions judge themselves by only the best parts of their holy scriptures, but judge other religions by only the worst parts of the holy scriptures.

Thank you Jackrabbit for the thread. I think one of the biggest misconceptions about Islam is that Allah is the Muslim god. The truth is, Christian Arabs and Jewish Arabs pray to Allah as well. Allah is just the Arabic word for deity. I hope you'll correct me if I'm wrong here Jackrabbit.

Another myth I'm hoping you'll debunk (or confirm if it's true), is that Muslims are allowed to have short "pleasure marriages" which they can have for a day or two so they can have sex and then it either expires of they divorce. Is that at all true? Wikipedia seems to think so.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post