Common misconceptions about Islam

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-12-2011, 07:09 AM
RE: Common misconceptions about Islam
Thank you for bringing this to the attention of TTA! People, especially people in the U.S., are quick to stereotype muslims so I am glad to finally have a drop of truth against a tide of lies.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Kaos MD's post
13-12-2011, 08:05 AM
One misconception that is common (at least in the southern US) is that most terrorists are Muslim (even if they know that most Muslims aren't terrorists). In fact, they only make up 6% of the total, Latinos are the largest group at 42%. http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/01/not-all...e-muslims/

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 2 users Like Azaraith's post
13-12-2011, 08:12 AM
(13-12-2011 07:09 AM)Kaos MD Wrote:  Thank you for bringing this to the attention of TTA! People, especially people in the U.S., are quick to stereotype muslims so I am glad to finally have a drop of truth against a tide of lies.

What I'd like to know - for future reference, when non-Muslims are saying horrible things about Muslims, or people from predominantly Muslim countries - is whether I am correct in thinking that the Koran is just as violent as the bible (well, at least the OT - that's supposed to be pretty violent, right? I have never been able to get passed the first, oh, two pages, and I have never read the NT). I can certainly do the research myself, but I'd like to take the easy way out here - so I don't have to read any of those books - and just get the answers from people who already know, LOL.

Oh, and one last thing... I believe I read once where Muslim is preferred over Moslem as the term to use for a follower of Islam. I know that in Arabic (and Hebrew) it's the vowels that often are what changes the meanings (well, and also maybe the order of the consonants?) of words. I used to always say and write "Moslem" but have worked hard to change that to "Muslim." I may not like religion, but I am not one to want to offend people.
13-12-2011, 08:26 AM
This may be a little off topic, but I'm about to read the Qur'an again and analyze it in depth, do you have any pointers? Like, I know there are cultural things I'm not really going to understand or get, and I want to take everything in context.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
13-12-2011, 09:02 AM
(13-12-2011 08:05 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  One misconception that is common (at least in the southern US) is that most terrorists are Muslim (even if they know that most Muslims aren't terrorists). In fact, they only make up 6% of the total, Latinos are the largest group at 42%.

Very interesting, except there is absolutely no evidence for those percentages; not in the article and not in the (supposedly) backing study. None. Nada. Zilch.
The pie chart appears to be entirely made up.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-12-2011, 10:13 AM
(12-12-2011 05:32 PM)kim Wrote:  Smile Hope you don't mind people picking your brain... I think many are thirsty for knowledge, especially when it's laid out so clearly.

I dont mind at all, im always happy to provide answers when i can all in the name of Education.

(13-12-2011 06:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  Linguistic matters are what make communication and understanding possible. If you don't care to be understood, that's your choice.

I agree with you, linguistics are important and i already clarified my position in the answer and the OP. I used to be muslim, now im an Athiest.
But you were right and i was wrong.

(13-12-2011 06:35 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  Now, on to Islam. I tend to think that Christians who criticise the Quran(Koran?) haven't read the bible. Or, more likely, they are just hypocrites.
Religions judge themselves by only the best parts of their holy scriptures, but judge other religions by only the worst parts of the holy scriptures.

Thank you Jackrabbit for the thread. I think one of the biggest misconceptions about Islam is that Allah is the Muslim god. The truth is, Christian Arabs and Jewish Arabs pray to Allah as well. Allah is just the Arabic word for deity. I hope you'll correct me if I'm wrong here Jackrabbit.

Another myth I'm hoping you'll debunk (or confirm if it's true), is that Muslims are allowed to have short "pleasure marriages" which they can have for a day or two so they can have sex and then it either expires of they divorce. Is that at all true? Wikipedia seems to think so.

Okay XD Ill number all my answers so i can better organise my thoughts Tongue

1. I have noticed that too, whenever i used to attend/get lectured by muslim preachers they pick the most benificial scripture/stories and do their best to leave out ot sugarcoat the particularly nasty ones. They also use the nasty stories and scripture of other religions to try and debunk them.

2. Yes, Allah is the literal arabic translation for "the God", and Allah has 99 other names (Asmaaa Allah al Hosna. Literally: The good/fine names of God) that are also his traits (for example "Al Raheem" = The merciful) and these names were collected from god's self discription in the quraan where often he refers to himslef as one of these names instead of always using "Allah". Eellah is the translation for "a God" unspecified. they are grammitically linked and arabic translations of the Bible all say Allah. Im not sure about the Torah though.

3. Pleasure marriages. I remember sitting with my family while they were debating this. Basically young people in arab countries want to have sex with no commitment, so they try and use temporary marriages as a technicality to get around the Harsh and brutal penalties, (stoning, hanging, etc.).
Basically they agree to get married and then break up after they become bored with no commitment. This however is done verbally and is not shown on the marriage contract, which is just an ordinary contract.
The position most imams take on this issue is against it, as they say a marriage is for life and only ends when there are legitimate problems and not premeditated.

(13-12-2011 08:05 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  One misconception that is common (at least in the southern US) is that most terrorists are Muslim (even if they know that most Muslims aren't terrorists). In fact, they only make up 6% of the total, Latinos are the largest group at 42%. http://www.loonwatch.com/2010/01/not-all...e-muslims/

There have always been terrorists and Zealots from everywhere in the world.
Recently it has been the age of the muslim terrorists (and recently that massacre by the christian terrorist in Norway. Heres Oreily trying to control the fallout and Jon Stewart's response), but during the cold war, propaganda wanted everyone to believe Russia was full of commie terrorists too, and before that the Nazi party in germany were even worse than terrorists (they used fear, violence, and propaganda to invade their first country, which was Germany.) and lets not forget their leader was Roman Catholic. Drug cartels and gangs use fear and violence to get their shit done
so they technically qualify as terrorists too.

Seems to me everyone is looking to label everyone else a terrorist wether it be true or not.

(13-12-2011 08:12 AM)JumpinJude Wrote:  What I'd like to know - for future reference, when non-Muslims are saying horrible things about Muslims, or people from predominantly Muslim countries - is whether I am correct in thinking that the Koran is just as violent as the bible (well, at least the OT - that's supposed to be pretty violent, right? I have never been able to get passed the first, oh, two pages, and I have never read the NT). I can certainly do the research myself, but I'd like to take the easy way out here - so I don't have to read any of those books - and just get the answers from people who already know, LOL.

Oh, and one last thing... I believe I read once where Muslim is preferred over Moslem as the term to use for a follower of Islam. I know that in Arabic (and Hebrew) it's the vowels that often are what changes the meanings (well, and also maybe the order of the consonants?) of words. I used to always say and write "Moslem" but have worked hard to change that to "Muslim." I may not like religion, but I am not one to want to offend people.

1. The Quraan comes packed with enough violence to entertain the whole family. Anything from plagues to maiming to destryoing and decimating entire citys in the blink of an eye (with everyone still in them ofcourse).

2. Well some people just let it slide when foreigners and non native arabic speakers say it because of the accents but the facts are:

Muslim: He who has surrendered himself (to Allah -implied)
Source word: Surrendered, Sallam سلم

Mos(z)lem: He who oppresses people/Treats them unjustly
Source word: Opressed, Zallam ظلم

(13-12-2011 08:26 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  This may be a little off topic, but I'm about to read the Qur'an again and analyze it in depth, do you have any pointers? Like, I know there are cultural things I'm not really going to understand or get, and I want to take everything in context.

Starcash has sent me this Skeptic's Annotated Quraan and i found it quite splendid and usefull, i highly recommend it as it points out inconsistancies, contradictions, etc.
[+] 2 users Like Jackrabbit's post
13-12-2011, 10:16 AM
(13-12-2011 06:35 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  On the subject of Jewish atheists and Muslim atheists: As a Catholic atheist, I will share what Dara O'Briain has to say on the matter.

That video actually made me LOL several times, especially the bit about the host sticking to the roof of your mouth! Beautiful!

Quote:Now, on to Islam. I tend to think that Christians who criticise the Quran(Koran?) haven't read the bible. Or, more likely, they are just hypocrites.
Religions judge themselves by only the best parts of their holy scriptures, but judge other religions by only the worst parts of the holy scriptures.

Well said.

Quote:I think one of the biggest misconceptions about Islam is that Allah is the Muslim god. The truth is, Christian Arabs and Jewish Arabs pray to Allah as well. Allah is just the Arabic word for deity.

I believe that's true, but it doesn't mean there's no controversy about its use. In Malaysia, the question of who can use the word "Allah" has led to fire bombings:

Quote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/09/world/...aysia.html

Three Christian churches were attacked with firebombs Friday [Jan. 2010] as tensions rose in a dispute over whether Christians could use the word “Allah” in this largely Muslim nation. . . .

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
13-12-2011, 11:32 AM
(12-12-2011 05:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-12-2011 05:45 PM)kineo Wrote:  As an Atheist Muslim, ...
Oxymoron.
Muslim is not an ethnicity, it is a religious belief.

There's an Irish joke whose punchline is
"Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?"

Wink Hang on Chas - I originally said Atheist Muslim... which I also debated how to write in the first place. I mostly decided to go with A/M because I knew I wanted clarify before presenting the rest of my statement which was about his former belief : "As an Atheist Muslim, what did your former Islamic beliefs consist of?"

Actually I wasn't quite sure how to state it, but knew I didn't want there to be any confusion and I knew I didn't want to offend Jackrabbit - him being only few days an Atheist.

Tongue Anyway -no dumping on kineo for my faux pas... apparently, I'm full of them lately. Blush LOL -I like that Irish joke- even just the punchline is very culturally telling!

Smile I'm just glad we have Jackrabbit to give us all this great info!!

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
13-12-2011, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2011 12:20 PM by Azaraith.)
(13-12-2011 09:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 08:05 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  One misconception that is common (at least in the southern US) is that most terrorists are Muslim (even if they know that most Muslims aren't terrorists). In fact, they only make up 6% of the total, Latinos are the largest group at 42%.

Very interesting, except there is absolutely no evidence for those percentages; not in the article and not in the (supposedly) backing study. None. Nada. Zilch.
The pie chart appears to be entirely made up.

oops... I couldn't open the study when I clicked the link. Disregard... It came up as url not found.

Better without God, and happier too.
13-12-2011, 11:52 AM
(13-12-2011 11:32 AM)kim Wrote:  Smile I'm just glad we have Jackrabbit to give us all this great info!!

Im just glad to be able to offer any knowlage i can. Big Grin

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
[+] 1 user Likes Jackrabbit's post