Common misconceptions about Islam

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
13-12-2011, 12:50 PM
RE: Common misconceptions about Islam
(13-12-2011 11:51 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 09:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 08:05 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  One misconception that is common (at least in the southern US) is that most terrorists are Muslim (even if they know that most Muslims aren't terrorists). In fact, they only make up 6% of the total, Latinos are the largest group at 42%.

Very interesting, except there is absolutely no evidence for those percentages; not in the article and not in the (supposedly) backing study. None. Nada. Zilch.
The pie chart appears to be entirely made up.

oops... I couldn't open the study when I clicked the link. Disregard... It came up as url not found.

I found the study by Googling its title. No percentages given; in fact, not much data at all.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2011, 12:55 PM
(13-12-2011 11:32 AM)kim Wrote:  
(12-12-2011 05:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-12-2011 05:45 PM)kineo Wrote:  As an Atheist Muslim, ...
Oxymoron.
Muslim is not an ethnicity, it is a religious belief.

There's an Irish joke whose punchline is
"Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?"

Wink Hang on Chas - I originally said Atheist Muslim... which I also debated how to write in the first place. I mostly decided to go with A/M because I knew I wanted clarify before presenting the rest of my statement which was about his former belief : "As an Atheist Muslim, what did your former Islamic beliefs consist of?"

Actually I wasn't quite sure how to state it, but knew I didn't want there to be any confusion and I knew I didn't want to offend Jackrabbit - him being only few days an Atheist.

Tongue Anyway -no dumping on kineo for my faux pas... apparently, I'm full of them lately. Blush LOL -I like that Irish joke- even just the punchline is very culturally telling!

Smile I'm just glad we have Jackrabbit to give us all this great info!!

I didn't really see a problem with the way you phrased it myself, as I understood what you were saying. I didn't see the need for the confusion- but I can see now how it could confuse. Big Grin

Thanks for clearing it up though!
Find all posts by this user
13-12-2011, 07:15 PM
(12-12-2011 08:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Hey, thanks for steppin' up ex-Muslim trying to jackrabbit your way to atheism (that's certainly how I did it Smile). Is it true that the Qur'ān prohibits interest on any loan (>0% interest = usury) or is that a common misconception? If true, does that mean you have to buy your homes and cars in cash?

Badabump.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-12-2011, 07:24 PM
(13-12-2011 11:52 AM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  
(13-12-2011 11:32 AM)kim Wrote:  Smile I'm just glad we have Jackrabbit to give us all this great info!!

Im just glad to be able to offer any knowlage i can. Big Grin

I am glad, too - so thank you! And thanks specifically for the linguistic clarification regarding Muslim/Moslem - I am glad I have been making the effort to use the former.

Thanks again!
[+] 2 users Like JumpinJude's post
14-12-2011, 07:40 AM
Hey Jackrabbit and thank you very much for this thread.

I have a question too. Some years ago I came across a book (I cannot remember the title or many details about it) and I read that, of course, Muslims have most of the common-sense social laws, but that they are only meant to apply to fellow Muslims. In fact, from a religious perspective, a Muslim is perfectly justified to lie, cheat, steal, hurt and kill if the victim is a non-believer.

Is there any truth to that? I would be very grateful if you gave me some references (confirming or disproving the previous statement).

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
15-12-2011, 05:14 PM
I don't think Taqiyya has been mentioned yet. Taqiyya is thought of by many to be a way for muslims to lie and deceive non-muslims in order to spread Islam. Geert Wilders promotes this, and even the YouTuber Philhellenes did a while back. I accepted this for a while too.
However, and maybe Jackrabbit could comment on this too, Taqiyya is a practice emphasized in Shi'a Islam whereby adherents may conceal their religion when they are under threat, persecution, or compulsion. - Wikipedia
Its a defensive measure, allowing muslims (usually Shi'ites) to lie in order to protect themselves - not lie in order to spread Islam deviously. There are many examples of persecution of Shi'ites throughout history, mostly by Sunni's I think.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Klingschor#p...hYzeqOCMvY

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
16-12-2011, 11:46 AM

Im currently writing a grand post about Islam and i will definaltly include this.

Big Grin

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
16-12-2011, 03:35 PM
(16-12-2011 11:46 AM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  
(14-12-2011 07:40 AM)Malleus Wrote:  

Im currently writing a grand post about Islam and i will definaltly include this.

Big Grin

Awesome. Thank you. I would like to be a little more specific with my question.

I kinda got the point from your previous giant thread on Islam. It's OK and even commended to kill non-Muslims, or at least infidels. And that rule can be very well enforced in some Islamic countries, but Muslims are now all over the world and in non-Islamic places they cannot exercise this rule without facing legal consequences.

So: how much do religious laws (for injuring, raping, stealing, cheating, lying etc.) apply when an infidel is the victim and ritual killing is not an option? How about when the victim is a Christian or a Jew?

Again, some reputable references would be very welcome as I have been unable to find a straight answer on that specific matter on line. Is there a specific place (in the Qur'an for example) that addresses this question?

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
16-12-2011, 03:43 PM
I know one. Many people think that Arab women are ugly.

[Image: Iranian-Women-Claudia-Lynx.jpg]
[Image: 22061539.jpg]
[Image: claudia+lynx+whooo.jpg]
[Image: 2nazi.jpg]
[Image: the_sexiest_arab_women_of_2010_19.jpg]

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain