Commonly Used Debate Arguments for Dummies

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.11 Average
03-09-2016, 05:54 AM
RE: Commonly Used Debate Arguments for Dummies
Quote:So every time we blink the entire universe ceases to exist for a fraction of a second. I'm too scared to contemplate what happens when we have a nightmare while asleep.

BTW-I have never seen a god, where does that leave your assertions? In your mind only. Drinking Beverage

Every time you blink it ceases to exist for you, not for non-blinkers. Reason it out.

"I have never seen a god." --- back to definitions. I have never seen anything except god.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2016, 06:04 AM
(03-09-2016 05:54 AM)xear Wrote:  
Quote:So every time we blink the entire universe ceases to exist for a fraction of a second. I'm too scared to contemplate what happens when we have a nightmare while asleep.

BTW-I have never seen a god, where does that leave your assertions? In your mind only. Drinking Beverage

Every time you blink it ceases to exist for you, not for non-blinkers. Reason it out.

"I have never seen a god." --- back to definitions. I have never seen anything except god.

So only in your mind then.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
03-09-2016, 06:31 AM
(03-09-2016 06:04 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 05:54 AM)xear Wrote:  Every time you blink it ceases to exist for you, not for non-blinkers. Reason it out.

So only in your mind then.

Well as soon as we find someone who has experienced the world without a mind we'll know more... provided they find a way to communicate it to us. Until then all we can experience is our own minds, call it what you want.

George Berkeley explained it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0azrs_yPvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-lDlxVQy4c

Bernardo Kastrup updated it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKzIT3S7wWA

03-09-2016, 06:47 AM
(03-09-2016 06:31 AM)xear Wrote:  
(03-09-2016 06:04 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  So only in your mind then.

Well as soon as we find someone who has experienced the world without a mind we'll know more... provided they find a way to communicate it to us. Until then all we can experience is our own minds, call it what you want.

George Berkeley explained it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0azrs_yPvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-lDlxVQy4c

Bernardo Kastrup updated it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKzIT3S7wWA

So until this thing without a mind communicates with us we have no way of knowing?

How would we know this thing without a mind is giving accurate information?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
03-09-2016, 07:05 AM
Quote:So until this thing without a mind communicates with us we have no way of knowing?

How would we know this thing without a mind is giving accurate information?

I guess all we can say is that until further notice no one has experienced anything outside of their own mind and we don't know of any other possibility.

03-09-2016, 07:25 AM
(03-09-2016 07:05 AM)xear Wrote:  I guess all we can say is that until further notice no one has experienced anything outside of their own mind

If that's what you've been trying to say all along then it wasn't clear at all. I never would have guessed that from what you've said. I agree with that.

Quote:and we don't know of any other possibility.

If you mean that we don't know of any way to have direct experience of anything except via our own mind then I'd agree. If you mean that we can't reasonably conclude that what we experience is based on an objective reality that exists whether we are experiencing it or not then I do not agree.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
03-09-2016, 08:56 AM
(02-09-2016 05:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 05:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  Lanza is a medical doctor way out of his depth. His hypothesis is pretty much laughed at by actual scientists.

Wheeler is not.

Wheeler is not what?
A medical doctor?
Out of his depth?
Laughed at?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-09-2016, 11:33 AM
Quote: If you mean that we can't reasonably conclude that what we experience is based on an objective reality that exists whether we are experiencing it or not then I do not agree.

If you go to sleep and dream of a world and then the next time you go to sleep that same world appears just as you left it the night before... the same characters, the same environment, everything completely continuous from the previous night... would you then conclude that the dream world is real?

Are you saying continuity is what makes things real? The dream world has no continuity, this one does, therefore this one is real, that one is not?

03-09-2016, 11:50 AM
(03-09-2016 11:33 AM)xear Wrote:  
Quote: If you mean that we can't reasonably conclude that what we experience is based on an objective reality that exists whether we are experiencing it or not then I do not agree.

If you go to sleep and dream of a world and then the next time you go to sleep that same world appears just as you left it the night before... the same characters, the same environment, everything completely continuous from the previous night... would you then conclude that the dream world is real?

Are you saying continuity is what makes things real? The dream world has no continuity, this one does, therefore this one is real, that one is not?

Persistence, cause and effect, and consistency together are sufficient evidence of reality.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2016, 11:53 AM
(03-09-2016 08:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-09-2016 05:37 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Wheeler is not.

Wheeler is not what?
A medical doctor?
Out of his depth?
Laughed at?

Yes.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus