Commonly Used Debate Arguments for Dummies

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Votes - 4.11 Average
13-02-2013, 12:32 PM
RE: Commonly Used Debate Arguments for Dummies
Quote:1) You haven't answered my question. Can we agree that until God appears to me and provides this evidence, you have no evidence to back up your claims and none of us should believe anything you say?
No, because God appearing to you may be chased off as illusory. That's not the kind of evidence I had in mind, nor when I spoke to God today/yesterday did God promise me that type of appearance JFY (Just For You).
Quote:2) Well obviously I would ask for more than pure anecdotal evidence from him. But I'm not going to simper to him.
Simper = Smile in an affectedly coquettish, coy, or ingratiating manner.
I've asked college deans for things, I've asked leading politicians for things, parents for things. I neither simpered nor attempted to take some kind of bizarre ethical high ground by asserting my superiority or rights. There's a way to ask that is appropriate to God's station.

Quote:Tell you what though, you claim he can provide this evidence - obviously then he provided evidence for you or you wouldn't make such a claim (since that would be dishonest of you, and you wouldn't be dishonest right?). Since you have seen this evidence, perhaps you could enlighten us as to what it was so that we don't have to wait around for the next few thousand years?
I've heard hundreds of Christian testimonies. They contain some common elements, and also a great many tailored elements. Most testimonies say something like, "God gave to me what I needed." I asked God for a smoking gun for you and He said, "I have what He needs, specifically, nor do I want you to be puffed up by giving him all your evidence. Step back and let me do my work in his life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2013, 01:40 PM
(13-02-2013 12:32 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:1) You haven't answered my question. Can we agree that until God appears to me and provides this evidence, you have no evidence to back up your claims and none of us should believe anything you say?
No, because God appearing to you may be chased off as illusory. That's not the kind of evidence I had in mind, nor when I spoke to God today/yesterday did God promise me that type of appearance JFY (Just For You).
Quote:2) Well obviously I would ask for more than pure anecdotal evidence from him. But I'm not going to simper to him.
Simper = Smile in an affectedly coquettish, coy, or ingratiating manner.
I've asked college deans for things, I've asked leading politicians for things, parents for things. I neither simpered nor attempted to take some kind of bizarre ethical high ground by asserting my superiority or rights. There's a way to ask that is appropriate to God's station.

Quote:Tell you what though, you claim he can provide this evidence - obviously then he provided evidence for you or you wouldn't make such a claim (since that would be dishonest of you, and you wouldn't be dishonest right?). Since you have seen this evidence, perhaps you could enlighten us as to what it was so that we don't have to wait around for the next few thousand years?
I've heard hundreds of Christian testimonies. They contain some common elements, and also a great many tailored elements. Most testimonies say something like, "God gave to me what I needed." I asked God for a smoking gun for you and He said, "I have what He needs, specifically, nor do I want you to be puffed up by giving him all your evidence. Step back and let me do my work in his life."
So . . . you won't agree that you have no evidence because the only source for evidence you have has no intention of giving me any evidence and has told you not to give me evidence because that would interfere with him not giving me evidence?

See, when you make assertions and then don't back them up with anything except excuses for why you are not allowed to do so then you open yourself to ridicule. I have no reason to believe anything you say is true because you keep going back on yourself or copping out at the last minute. You have no substance of any kind. Just empty words.

It's a pity God isn't going to make an appearance for me, it might have validated a few of your blanket assertions. You'd think if he gave a damn about you he could take a few minutes of his endless time to help us both out. It's almost as if he doesn't want anyone to respect you at all.

Nice to know he has what I need though. Right now I need some whiskey, any chance he could send some over?
13-02-2013, 02:30 PM
Quote:So . . . you won't agree that you have no evidence because the only source for evidence you have has no intention of giving me any evidence and has told you not to give me evidence because that would interfere with him not giving me evidence?
Close! I have plenty of evidence but my authority has closed the loop that you might focus on Him, not me. Now, God does this to Christians all the time, my friend. Tells them to hold off wasting their time where He may be more effective. There are Bible verses about this. What intrigues me is you're not assaulting the direct communications I'm getting from the Lord on this. I appreciate your kindness and sincerity there. Thanks!
Quote:See, when you make assertions and then don't back them up with anything except excuses for why you are not allowed to do so then you open yourself to ridicule. I have no reason to believe anything you say is true because you keep going back on yourself or copping out at the last minute. You have no substance of any kind. Just empty words.
It's not empty to promise that an authority will offer me support. Have you ever been "relieved" literally in a fight? Watch how they tag team on WWE. Smile Jesus backs me 100% of the time where I am consistent with His Word. EVERY person I've invited to pray that has prayed in sincerity has had positive results. EVERY person who broke their word that they'd follow the lead I offered missed out. Don't miss out!
Quote:It's a pity God isn't going to make an appearance for me, it might have validated a few of your blanket assertions. You'd think if he gave a damn about you he could take a few minutes of his endless time to help us both out. It's almost as if he doesn't want anyone to respect you at all.
Or it could be that He's a little busy right now running black holes and such. He might visit you in person one night. He has made an appointment with you, I know that... just not presently.
Quote:Nice to know he has what I need though. Right now I need some whiskey, any chance he could send some over?
I can pray about that, but I'm wondering how that will show you the agape love of Christ, to get you smashed. Wink
Listen, if you ever man up enough to pray to God with sincerity after His invitation, will you do us all a favor and come back to these forums to trumpet the revelations you will receive?
13-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed just how much first hand knowledge PJ has about what his god wants, accepts, needs, what kind of questions he invites, how often they talk and on and on?

I personally think he meets the following definitions for:

Delusional disorder, previously called paranoid disorder, is a type of serious mental illness involving psychosis. Psychosis is the inability to tell what is real from what is imagined. The main feature of delusional disorder is the presence of delusions -- unshakable beliefs in something untrue.

People with delusional disorder often can continue to socialize and function normally, apart from the subject of their delusion, and generally do not behave in an obviously odd or bizarre manner.

Grandiose: A person with this type of delusional disorder has an over-inflated sense of self-worth, power, knowledge, or identity or special relationship to a deity or famous person. The delusions are generally fantastic and typically have a supernatural, science-fictional, or religious theme.

Does this NOT sound like PleaseJesus?

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
14-02-2013, 09:26 AM
It also sounds like George Washington, Ronald Reagan, Jimmy Carter, Napolean, Alexander The Great, Sojurner Truth, William Wilberforce, Galileo Galilei, Blaise Pascal, and a host of other male and female leaders and influencers who did somethings Atheists won't do...
14-02-2013, 09:50 AM
(13-02-2013 12:32 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Simper = Smile in an affectedly coquettish, coy, or ingratiating manner.

And this from another thread.
(13-02-2013 12:32 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  The hermeneutics on this forum are of such low quality from non-Christians--no one will even accept that context is necessary as the Bible teaches in passages, not individual verses--that it would be a pointless discussion.

Tongue Big Grin Wink Shy Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
14-02-2013, 11:09 AM
(14-02-2013 09:26 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  It also sounds like George Washington, Ronald Reagan, Jimmy Carter, Napolean, Alexander The Great, Sojurner Truth, William Wilberforce, Galileo Galilei, Blaise Pascal, and a host of other male and female leaders and influencers who did somethings Atheists won't do...
Such as? Name me one example.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
14-02-2013, 11:14 AM
Quote:Such as? Name me one example.
Ask Jesus Christ to save them and pray to come to a good working understanding of his Word. If you did so, Vosur, you are a backslidden Christian. And you kind of come off that way. Logical, considerate, thoughtful. Do you curse people on this forum or just ask them challenging questions--as do I?
14-02-2013, 11:42 AM
(14-02-2013 11:14 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Ask Jesus Christ to save them and pray to come to a good working understanding of his Word. If you did so, Vosur, you are a backslidden Christian. And you kind of come off that way. Logical, considerate, thoughtful.
I can assure you that I am no longer a Christian. I deconverted about three to four years ago.

(14-02-2013 11:14 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Do you curse people on this forum or just ask them challenging questions--as do I?
That would be the latter.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
14-02-2013, 11:52 AM
(14-02-2013 11:14 AM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  Do you curse people on this forum or just ask them challenging questions--as do I?
Aww, look how modest! And how delusional! Must be great to live in your own world, where you're bright and right. Rolleyes

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."