Communism as a Religion debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2011, 04:35 AM
RE: Communism as a Religion debate
I really don't see how you can put a political movement in the same box with religion? Religion is belief in a supernatural being or presentation and communism is a political movement, system. How can anyone mix those 2? No matter what the similarities are, it is so vastly ignorant to even think of connecting those two and putting them in the same category. Remember - a political system vs. belief in supernatural.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2011, 09:58 AM
(07-11-2011 12:18 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(07-11-2011 08:49 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  Claims to be the first republic where "all men are created equal"

I'm thinking that was Athens.

Thus claims, rather than is. (In fairness, Athenians didn't seem too consternated by the ownership of slaves, either.)
Like "Policeman of the World". USofA has never been famous for the accuracy of its historical (and geographic) education... But it's hell on wheels when making up slogans.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
08-11-2011, 01:21 PM
(08-11-2011 09:58 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  
(07-11-2011 12:18 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(07-11-2011 08:49 AM)Peterkin Wrote:  Claims to be the first republic where "all men are created equal"

I'm thinking that was Athens.

Thus claims, rather than is. (In fairness, Athenians didn't seem too consternated by the ownership of slaves, either.)
Like "Policeman of the World". USofA has never been famous for the accuracy of its historical (and geographic) education... But it's hell on wheels when making up slogans.
Slavery - there's an issue. I've looked at it from both sides. Morally, that ain't nothing wrong with it - that's why it went on for so damn long. Ethically; well, here we are. Free? No. Slaves to the fucking buck.

I'm not big on owning shit. Buddhism doesn't seem to like it, the natives 'round here never seemed to like it, Communism don't seem to like it - and alla them things have morality in common.

I tell you what, you come in my house, you jack my Xbox; I might hafta punch you in the eye - but as long as you leave the Sylvia poster alone, no one hasta die. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2011, 02:44 PM
(08-11-2011 04:35 AM)Filox Wrote:  I really don't see how you can put a political movement in the same box with religion? Religion is belief in a supernatural being or presentation and communism is a political movement, system. How can anyone mix those 2? No matter what the similarities are, it is so vastly ignorant to even think of connecting those two and putting them in the same category. Remember - a political system vs. belief in supernatural.

Quite often things are not what they claim to be. Surely those religions with "science" in the name are attempting to claim to be to scientific when they clearly are not. What about the Vatican's City's claim to statehood? Sometimes the supposedly clear boundaries are being manipulated and it is worth poking around to see if that is what is going on.
08-11-2011, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2011 08:16 AM by Peterkin.)
(08-11-2011 02:44 PM)angry_liberal Wrote:  Quite often things are not what they claim to be. Surely those religions with "science" in the name are attempting to claim to be to scientific when they clearly are not. What about the Vatican's City's claim to statehood? Sometimes the supposedly clear boundaries are being manipulated and it is worth poking around to see if that is what is going on.

Simple enough test: What does it promise to do for the subscriber?
If it mentions spirit, salvation, afterlife, getting in touch with what - or whom-ever, it's a religion.
If it talks about means of production and governance, it's a political system.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
08-11-2011, 05:52 PM
(08-11-2011 04:47 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Simple enough test: What does it promises to do for the subscriber?
If it mentions spirit, salvation, afterlife, getting in touch with what - or whom-ever, it's a religion.
If it talks about means of production and governance, it's a political system.

Man, do me a favor, will ya? Patent your test for application to the American electorate.

09-11-2011, 06:08 AM
Please don't get tangled up in semantics. This test is good. The pure and simple definition of the word, from a dictionary works as well.

-Hunter S. Thompson
09-11-2011, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2011 09:56 PM by houseofcantor.)
(09-11-2011 06:08 AM)Filox Wrote:  Please don't get tangled up in semantics. This test is good. The pure and simple definition of the word, from a dictionary works as well.

You may know my numerology by now, but scope these 4

Morality.
Faith.
Love.
Truth.

If dictionaries were actual truth, it would be meaningless to "steal" these words. However, without these terms, there is no civilization. There is no anything. Wink
See how you are, you Croatian, you! Big Grin

I came here to say something "good" about Communism, and you get the Gwynnies in me distracted...

I don't know what "good" it is, but around the holidays, I'm red like Lenin. Just one of those things...
(08-11-2011 04:35 AM)Filox Wrote:  I really don't see how you can put a political movement in the same box with religion? Religion is belief in a supernatural being or presentation and communism is a political movement, system. How can anyone mix those 2? No matter what the similarities are, it is so vastly ignorant to even think of connecting those two and putting them in the same category. Remember - a political system vs. belief in supernatural.

Since I kinda just did it? Faith, love passion - and a loss of critical thinking. That kinda tag-team action turn anything into a religion. Wink

09-11-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm going to say somthing good about communism too.... .. well maybe not communism but somthing good about them Russians...

VODKA....

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 2 users Like ddrew's post
10-11-2011, 05:08 AM
Vodka... Nobody drinks like Russians. Irish, Scots, Germans, they all drink as hell, but when Russians come, even we Balkans need to go in the corner and be ashamed... Do you see now what communism does to people?

Smile

-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post