Community Policy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2012, 04:25 PM
RE: Community Policy
Ato, it is not like everyone is used to the internet and to trolls online. I was on a computer the first time when I was 14, in a time when most of my classmates had a computer at home and knew a lot about it and so on I was overwhelmed with a normal chat. I wonder if I would have liked to stay at a forum where trolls are commonly accepted, at that stage, now add the fact that there might be teenagers like I was one that come here because they are looking for help on leaving religion and such things (which this is kinda made for, name after all is the thinking ATHEIST), and the first thing they get, is being trolled.
No, they should not stay off the internet in the first place.

I have a problem with troll-only trolls, if you don't that is fine.

We can't just hope that it works out on it's own all the time, that the bad trolls leave on their own at some point. "Don't feed the trolls" doesn't work, and everyone knows it. So gotta starve them by doing something. I have moderated and administrated forums and chats myself in the past (which I also mentioned at some point) and the rules about trolling where always enforced in a satisfactory way, noone felt they can't jerk around or being withheld their right of freedom of speech. It is a quite lazy excuse to say that taking care of trolls is limiting the freedom of speech, it is not. The place is supposed to be fun for most people, and if one individual lowers the quality by trolling, I'd rather get rid of that one person.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
29-08-2012, 04:31 PM
(29-08-2012 04:25 PM)Leela Wrote:  Ato, it is not like everyone is used to the internet and to trolls online. I was on a computer the first time when I was 14, in a time when most of my classmates had a computer at home and knew a lot about it and so on I was overwhelmed with a normal chat. I wonder if I would have liked to stay at a forum where trolls are commonly accepted, at that stage, now add the fact that there might be teenagers like I was one that come here because they are looking for help on leaving religion and such things (which this is kinda made for, name after all is the thinking ATHEIST), and the first thing they get, is being trolled.
No, they should not stay off the internet in the first place.

I have a problem with troll-only trolls, if you don't that is fine.

We can't just hope that it works out on it's own all the time, that the bad trolls leave on their own at some point. "Don't feed the trolls" doesn't work, and everyone knows it. So gotta starve them by doing something. I have moderated and administrated forums and chats myself in the past (which I also mentioned at some point) and the rules about trolling where always enforced in a satisfactory way, noone felt they can't jerk around or being withheld their right of freedom of speech. It is a quite lazy excuse to say that taking care of trolls is limiting the freedom of speech, it is not. The place is supposed to be fun for most people, and if one individual lowers the quality by trolling, I'd rather get rid of that one person.

Did I ever say it was against freedom of speech?

I am just hesitent on bringing on a change that could impact the way newbs use it.

Why shield them from something they will have to get used to eventually.

Of they are atheists, they must know of the condesending remarks about atheism, or at least know it happens.

A protection is only going to coddle them, they will have to face the inevitable, trolls.

I suggested moderation of KNOWN trolls as a possible solution, or maybe infractions.

Free speach is a bad argument in this instance, I agree, but there is no reason why trolls should get banned other than the fact that they are annoying as fuck.

If anything, We should put up a DISCLAIMER in a PM message or something to the Newbs.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
29-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Ato: only the first paragraph was an answer to your post, the stuff about free speech used to be an argument against adding a rule, in the last discussion on this topic, that is why I put it out before it becomes an excuse again.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
29-08-2012, 04:36 PM
(29-08-2012 04:33 PM)Leela Wrote:  Ato: only the first paragraph was an answer to your post

Ok then. I am keeping the post as is though, it does wonders for my thinking processSmartass

If moderation is a problem, just get more mods that will be happy to moderate that section of the forum. Its not like the people who want to be mods are running out.

I don't really have a clue as to how this turn out, but eitherway, I am more than willing to offer my help to better this forum in anyway possible, as young and reckless as I am, at least I try to treat my fellow family members( forum members) with respect.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
29-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Something to be aware of is there is no perfect way of dealing with these things that everyone will be happy with all of the time.

We have to draw a line somewhere and wherever that is there are gonna be people who think it's in the wrong place, and there are gonna be incidents that fall very close to the line where a course of action isn't 100% clear. That's just the way life works.

Personally, I'm very happy with where the line is now.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
29-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Excuse reason. You say tomato I say tomatoe. Don't discount soneones opinion as an excuse please.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
29-08-2012, 04:59 PM
(29-08-2012 04:25 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  The troll problem to me is virtually non existant, since I don't see trolls as a problem. I am not even in favor of adding a section that is moderated. At most, I think it may be beneficial to have a "be nice" rule in the intro section, and perhaps a note making it clear that once you leave the intro section, you are entering at your own risk.

Personally, I think that as a community, we can step in when someone is bullied and let that person know that we are not supportive of the bullies actions. If we all go back into the fray with that in mind, I think there's no more action nesessary.

"... a "be nice" rule in the intro section, and perhaps a note making it clear that once you leave the intro section, you are entering at your own risk." ~

I like that! If there is a clear demarcation that ..."you are now entering the big wide scary reality"... it will also tell the n00bs that the intro forums will be a "safe" place where they can get used to people, get used to posting, and maybe find their footing before they take the leap.

Personally, I think people need to toughen their skin... however, I do also agree that it's got to be horribly difficult when one is also dealing with no support from family and friends outside the forum. That's got to be overwhelming and some n00bs might be tempted to leave because of it... although, I have nothing to base that on - just speculation.

I also think that when someone is getting bullied and others step in, it not only helps the victim to not be a victim anymore, it also makes the bully see how far being a complete asshole will get them - no where. Honestly, seeing other forum users handle trolls and bullies is partly what helped me stick around after the first posts I made. My first postings were in an S. T. Ranger thread... when he wasn't being nice... so yea... that was pretty fun.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
29-08-2012, 05:01 PM
I think that things are under pretty good control here...the members seem to call each other out if someone gets a little carried away.

I was blasted real early on and got some nasty PMs but the situation was worked out. And we ended up able to converse, to agree, to agree to disagree, and all was well. I also had some strong supporters right from the start that were looking out for me as a new member. I see this same thing happen with new people frequently.

The admins and the long time members here monitor things really well. And instincts as to who is here to cause trouble seems to be dead on most of the time.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-08-2012, 05:12 PM
I've seen instances, on this forum and others, where people are quick to call someone a troll simply because their first post/question is controversial. I understand that real trolls like to post something controversial, but someone with a real interest in discussing something controversial might also be drawn to a forum such as TTA, and might not engage in the preliminaries of an introduction and "getting to know you" pleasantries.

Also, it appears that everyone's menstrual cycles have gotten synched up through extended contact and close proximity, so that periods are arriving all on the same day, such as yesterday. Perhaps we should be on high-alert during these arrival times so as not to over-react to one another or new people.
[+] 2 users Like Jeff's post
29-08-2012, 05:27 PM
We are nearing the full moon...

Edited to add: Erx...no butt shots!

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post