Community Policy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2012, 08:28 AM
RE: Community Policy
... As others have said, I think Bishadi's crap reaches a level which you could call abuse. Verbal abuse of a teenager is not cool.

The problem as I see it is... well free speech is nice and all, up until you have to take it literally. We've had problems with ArcticSage, Egor, Bishadi... a few others. All of whom we longed to ban. Egor... turned out okay, but he probably wouldn't have if we'd banned him. Those are the guys I'd be sad to see going. Again, if we ban people we don't like... the forum gets boring. It's just all of us agreeing with each other and only letting in people we agree with. It's *nice* to have people to despise Tongue

And again, it's also about what the purpose of the forum is. For me... initially it was a place I needed to escape the madness. And I encountered theists and a few trolls (I joined around the same time as AbdelZ). But... I was OK with that, I was prepared for it. Compared to places like 4chan (which is kinda how I visualized the whole internet), this place was an island of sanity, even with trolls included.

Personally I dislike being babied, and I'd rather see the troll and either decide "stupid - ignore" or engage at my leisure, than ban.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
30-08-2012, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2012 10:00 AM by Logica Humano.)
(30-08-2012 08:28 AM)morondog Wrote:  ... As others have said, I think Bishadi's crap reaches a level which you could call abuse. Verbal abuse of a teenager is not cool.

The problem as I see it is... well free speech is nice and all, up until you have to take it literally. We've had problems with ArcticSage, Egor, Bishadi... a few others. All of whom we longed to ban. Egor... turned out okay, but he probably wouldn't have if we'd banned him. Those are the guys I'd be sad to see going. Again, if we ban people we don't like... the forum gets boring. It's just all of us agreeing with each other and only letting in people we agree with. It's *nice* to have people to despise Tongue

And again, it's also about what the purpose of the forum is. For me... initially it was a place I needed to escape the madness. And I encountered theists and a few trolls (I joined around the same time as AbdelZ). But... I was OK with that, I was prepared for it. Compared to places like 4chan (which is kinda how I visualized the whole internet), this place was an island of sanity, even with trolls included.

Personally I dislike being babied, and I'd rather see the troll and either decide "stupid - ignore" or engage at my leisure, than ban.

Yes, for the last time, it is not about his uneducated posts. It is Bishadi's hostile approach to opinions contrary to his. The same applied to TheArcticAsshole and Egor.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
30-08-2012, 08:35 AM
RE: AW: Community Policy
(29-08-2012 03:03 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  This is inevitable with the sudden growth we have experienced.

Bishadi's attacks have been unwarranted, he has continuously insulted many members, and even the entire forum. Most of his debates devolve into petty pissing matches about who can come up with the best insult. I have attempted to defuse such situations with him, but he refuses to cease in any of his immature remarks, even if many ask him to stop. Evidently he is incapable of writing legibly and debating.

The problem is that he is obviously a troll. We all know that. Anyone who has read his posts should (who the hell cites Yahoo! Answers as a source?) know that he is purposely fucking around with people. I am sure if someone who has pretty colors as a name, or someone who actually does have power over him, could tell him to tone it down a notch. I see nothing wrong with doing so.
Exactly. It's currently one person. If someone like that appears, all you have to do is click the ignore button and you'll never read his posts again. As I've mentioned earlier, I'm against a change as long as the number of trolls is this ridiculously low. I don't recall anyone reacting this way when Egor went all nuts in 2012 and insulted individuals as well as the community as a whole and neither when TheArticSage appeared.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
30-08-2012, 08:41 AM
(30-08-2012 08:31 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  For the last time, it is not about his uneducated posts. It is Bishadi's hostile approach to opinions contrary to his. The same applied to TheArcticAsshole and Egor.

Um... not understanding? I said "blah blah abuse" right at the top didn't I?
30-08-2012, 08:44 AM
(30-08-2012 08:35 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(29-08-2012 03:03 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  This is inevitable with the sudden growth we have experienced.

Bishadi's attacks have been unwarranted, he has continuously insulted many members, and even the entire forum. Most of his debates devolve into petty pissing matches about who can come up with the best insult. I have attempted to defuse such situations with him, but he refuses to cease in any of his immature remarks, even if many ask him to stop. Evidently he is incapable of writing legibly and debating.

The problem is that he is obviously a troll. We all know that. Anyone who has read his posts should (who the hell cites Yahoo! Answers as a source?) know that he is purposely fucking around with people. I am sure if someone who has pretty colors as a name, or someone who actually does have power over him, could tell him to tone it down a notch. I see nothing wrong with doing so.
Exactly. It's currently one person. If someone like that appears, all you have to do is click the ignore button and you'll never read his posts again. As I've mentioned earlier, I'm against a change as long as the number of trolls is this ridiculously low. I don't recall anyone reacting this way when Egor went all nuts in 2012 and insulted individuals as well as the community as a whole and neither when TheArticSage appeared.

There is no reason that he should be able to continue to berate people unjustifiably simply because of the existence of an ignore button.

Check out the multiple threads in all the holocaust/conspiracy threads that TheArcticAsshole posted in. He resulted to inflammatory comments many times. There were also two threads dedicated to asking for the banning of Egor. Whether or not you were here when those occurred, I don't know.

Poonjab
30-08-2012, 08:49 AM
(30-08-2012 08:44 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  There is no reason that he should be able to continue to berate people unjustifiably simply because of the existence of an ignore button.
As long as he does not violate the rules and a function to ignore the troll's posts is implemented, I don't see why we would need to change anything. If he's annoying you, put him on ignore, if he insults you, put him on ignore, if he's ignorant, put him on ignore. The same has been said for other trolls in the past. If user X bothers you -> ignore him.

(30-08-2012 08:44 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Check out the multiple threads in all the holocaust/conspiracy threads that TheArcticAsshole posted in. He resulted to inflammatory comments many times. There were also two threads dedicated to asking for the banning of Egor. Whether or not you were here when those occurred, I don't know.
It seems I should have clarified what I meant. What I was trying to say is that nobody asked for a change of the rules to protect the 'newcomers' when these two peeps abused others in the past. Why is it that it is all of the sudden such a huge problem?

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
30-08-2012, 09:57 AM
(30-08-2012 08:49 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(30-08-2012 08:44 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  There is no reason that he should be able to continue to berate people unjustifiably simply because of the existence of an ignore button.
As long as he does not violate the rules and a function to ignore the troll's posts is implemented, I don't see why we would need to change anything. If he's annoying you, put him on ignore, if he insults you, put him on ignore, if he's ignorant, put him on ignore. The same has been said for other trolls in the past. If user X bothers you -> ignore him.

(30-08-2012 08:44 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Check out the multiple threads in all the holocaust/conspiracy threads that TheArcticAsshole posted in. He resulted to inflammatory comments many times. There were also two threads dedicated to asking for the banning of Egor. Whether or not you were here when those occurred, I don't know.
It seems I should have clarified what I meant. What I was trying to say is that nobody asked for a change of the rules to protect the 'newcomers' when these two peeps abused others in the past. Why is it that it is all of the sudden such a huge problem?

Perhaps I should state my stance plainly. I don't know what Dom is talking about, as far as I can see, Bishadi hasn't specifically targeted new members. I am not asking for any rule changes. I am simply stating that Bishadi should not be insulting people for disagreeing with him, and I do not believe the ignore button is an absolute fix for this issue.

(30-08-2012 08:41 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(30-08-2012 08:31 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  For the last time, it is not about his uneducated posts. It is Bishadi's hostile approach to opinions contrary to his. The same applied to TheArcticAsshole and Egor.

Um... not understanding? I said "blah blah abuse" right at the top didn't I?

I apologize. Typo. -_- Fixed.

Poonjab
30-08-2012, 10:02 AM
(30-08-2012 09:57 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Perhaps I should state my stance plainly. I don't know what Dom is talking about, as far as I can see, Bishadi hasn't specifically targeted new members. I am not asking for any rule changes. I am simply stating that Bishadi should not be insulting people for disagreeing with him,
I'd agree with that. Yes

(30-08-2012 09:57 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  and I do not believe the ignore button is an absolute fix for this issue.
And this is where we will have to agree to disagree. I think it is.

30-08-2012, 10:07 AM
I do not think we need to make any changes. While the behavior of some individuals past and present is ridiculous I like the fact that people are not banned for being impolite or stupid. These issues are so few and far between that I for one for one do not see it as an issue.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
30-08-2012, 10:18 AM
BTW, the ignore button works only partially. It doesn't ignore threads started by the ignored, and it also disrupts the entire thread sometimes when one comment (the ignored) is omitted. Suddenly nothing makes sense anymore.

Ignore is only a marginal option, and it punishes the one who ignores by screwing up the context of threads.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Thank You TTA Forum Community Hughsie 16 614 16-07-2013 01:55 AM
Last Post: Filox
  Forum or Community DLJ 58 1,525 28-10-2012 04:43 AM
Last Post: DLJ