Comparative Hats

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2014, 02:48 AM
RE: Comparative Hats
(25-08-2014 05:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  ...
We should encourage the factional disputes. Drinking Beverage

Quite right.

Because the Iran/Iraq war didn't have a high enough death toll. Drinking Beverage

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2014, 02:49 AM
(26-08-2014 02:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Quite right.

Because the Iran/Iraq war didn't have a high enough death toll. Drinking Beverage

Apparently not, there were enough left to invade Kuwait. Drinking Beverage

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
26-08-2014, 03:13 AM
Well I must say, death for apostasy really does seem a bit strong. Not cricket what? Not being able to tolerate criticism to me is indicative that the criticism is probably on the mark. Plus I hate authoritarian bullshit, which seems to describe most religion.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
26-08-2014, 06:25 AM
(26-08-2014 02:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Quite right.

It would be difficult to characterize that as a factional dispute. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-08-2014, 06:29 AM
(26-08-2014 06:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-08-2014 02:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Quite right.

It would be difficult to characterize that as a factional dispute. Dodgy

Wasn't it? I mean it was mostly Sunni Iraqis against mostly Shia Iranians, was it not? Huh

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
26-08-2014, 06:40 AM
(26-08-2014 06:29 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(26-08-2014 06:25 AM)Chas Wrote:  It would be difficult to characterize that as a factional dispute. Dodgy

Wasn't it? I mean it was mostly Sunni Iraqis against mostly Shia Iranians, was it not? Huh

It was about Saddam Hussein being worried that the Islamic Revolution that occurred in Iran would spill over the border and foment the rebellion of his repressed Shia majority.

It was the calculated political decision of an egomaniacal dictator.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-08-2014, 02:35 AM
(25-08-2014 07:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ... So, this, I think is why we (maybe just me) have no problem with the current version of the star-hat club (Judaism) and even the cross-hat club (christianity) is relatively harmless ...
Harmless my arse. The hat clubs operate at full throttle outside the club house working very hard to make their hat-eologies articles of law and general culture, applicable to the whole of society. Indoctrination of youth and being "memberized" at birth is only one of the problems these hat clubs cause.

I am becoming more convinced our tribalism gene, the gene of all the ugly isms, racism, nationalism, patriotism, clannishism, bigotism, and hat-ism, that once was vital to survival on the savanna, is today become a deadly virus that only rends and fractures a mankind ever more bound together by trade, telephone, jet airplane and the most potent unifier yet invented, the internet. We need to suppress that gene, not keep giving it life by making hat clubs.

Especially hat clubs based on calculated rejection of reason.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
29-08-2014, 03:19 AM
(25-08-2014 07:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Here's an analogy.

Which terms and conditions are acceptable, in your view?

They decide that one of the rules, just for fun, is that each member must wear a hat to the meetings.
I'd be very reluctant to join the club. I'd probably often come without a hat.

(25-08-2014 07:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Failure so to do results in an affordable financial penalty (a bit like a swear-box, at work).
I wouldn't pay the penalty. If they kick me out, then the hat thing isn't a "just for fun" thing. I don't need to be part of a draconian club, I hate unnecessary rules.

(25-08-2014 07:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I presume that you, the reader, have no problem with this... it's their club, their rules and if anyone does not like the rules, they can leave the club, right?
Sure, I have no problems being outside the club and knowing that people choose to belong and choose to follow silly rules.

(25-08-2014 07:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Maybe later on, the club leaders decide that they want to standardise the hats. It's a unifying thing. There is some debate and in the end they decide that everyone can still wear the hat of their choice but to show that they are a member of that particular club each hat will have a badge in the shape of a star pinned to it.
Yeah, if I haven't left already, I'd be leaving now.

(25-08-2014 07:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So what if, after a change of leadership, the rule was extended so that each member was required to always wear their hat... at home, to work and, I dunno, in the swimming pool? Huh? Really?
I'm not a member so don't care

(25-08-2014 07:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  But what if it's a specific hat? Maybe a straw hat?
Don't care, I'm not a member.

(25-08-2014 07:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Worried about membership numbers, the leadership impose a penalty for leaving. Not too much, it's more of a social penalty/stigma thing but enough to make people think twice before throwing their star-hat away.
Social stigma has never worried me. If people stigmatise, then those are people I don't want to associate with anyway.

(25-08-2014 07:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  To keep the numbers high, they impose a stiffer penalty for leaving.
Is this enforcable by law?

(25-08-2014 07:24 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Their penalty for leaving involves very severe penalties and some of their members are much more prone to violence against outsiders who don't wish to wear hats.
They are now a threat to me and to my society. I will react appropriately.
29-08-2014, 04:53 AM
No gods, no masters, no hats except when it's too hot in the sun. (we might have a hint there as to where the hat culture is coming from geographically Consider ) I don't see how a healthy person with things to do and a life to live can join a hat-club. There is no virtue in getting people wear hats. Rules are like code, more code does not mean more processing power, more rules does not mean more freedom.
People should develop a healthy instinct towards clubs and people that might want to start making up arbitrary rules "just for fun". Culture is not to be taken lightly.

A good rule of a thumb:
[Image: quote-Hanns-Johst-when-i-hear-the-word-c...7014_1.png]
29-08-2014, 05:15 AM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2014 05:20 AM by DLJ.)
AK & St.Evil,

I think you are both saying that you are OK with the clubs as long as they are self-contained.

You both draw the line when the rules start impacting your life and lives of other non-members e.g. extreme Mormons preaching anti-homosexuality in Uganda and getting the law changed so that it is punishable by death.

AK, you draw the line at e.g. creationism being taught in the science class.

St.Evil, you draw the line when the club's activities become a threat to security i.e. a more physical threat.

Either way, it seems as though the trigger point is "harm to society".

How should we define that?

Lumi,
How would you enforce the no rules rule?

Wink

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post