Comparative religion book?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Comparative religion book?
Can anyone recommend a good book on comparative/history of religions? Something with an unbiased religious slant (if there is such a book.)

I'm interested to learn about the evolution of religions. The one thing I'd like to understand better is how Judaism, Christianity and Islam took a lot of their ideas and teachings from earlier religions. As we know, the big 3 don't have much to offer that is unique to their particular brand.

More ammo for debating theists Thumbsup

Thanks for any input
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2013, 04:24 PM
RE: Comparative religion book?
(10-11-2013 04:40 PM)p0werslav3 Wrote:  Can anyone recommend a good book on comparative/history of religions? Something with an unbiased religious slant (if there is such a book.)

I'm interested to learn about the evolution of religions. The one thing I'd like to understand better is how Judaism, Christianity and Islam took a lot of their ideas and teachings from earlier religions. As we know, the big 3 don't have much to offer that is unique to their particular brand.

Thanks for any input

I don't think it's possible for any such book to be unbiased -- the writer is either a theist or an atheist, and either way, he/she is biased. But one good book on this subject is Karen Armstrong's History of God. Also, the Teaching Company has an "Introduction to Religious Studies" course that looks at a bunch of different theories (mostly non-religious) on how religion originated.
25-11-2013, 12:46 PM
This is the closest thing that immediately comes to mind. I just learned about it today:

http://idoubtit.wordpress.com/2013/11/22...ok-review/

I'm sure there are some dry, academic books on the subject, but I can't name anything in particular.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2013, 02:20 PM
(11-11-2013 04:24 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(10-11-2013 04:40 PM)p0werslav3 Wrote:  Can anyone recommend a good book on comparative/history of religions? Something with an unbiased religious slant (if there is such a book.)

Thanks for any input

I don't think it's possible for any such book to be unbiased -- the writer is either a theist or an atheist, and either way, he/she is biased. But one good book on this subject is Karen Armstrong's History of God. Also, the Teaching Company has an "Introduction to Religious Studies" course that looks at a bunch of different theories (mostly non-religious) on how religion originated.

I would recommend A History of God as well. I've fallen behind in my reading and have only made it about halfway through but it's very fact-oriented and explores exactly what you're looking for without any noticeable bias.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha