Compassion and altruism can be learned.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2013, 02:56 PM (This post was last modified: 31-05-2013 02:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
Compassion and altruism can be learned.
Kinda like "Yeah, no shit Sherlock", but these crazy kids and their fMRIs, whatcha gonna do. Big Grin

Compassion Training Alters Altruism and Neural Responses to Suffering

And why the fuck did I post this in the Entertainment section, Tim or Scotty could you please move this to the Health and Psychology section 'cause I'm a fucking idiot.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2013, 08:30 PM
RE: Compassion and altruism can be learned.
It's not exactly on topic, but there's a Psych dude up at Cornell who done a lot of research on what forms our belief/perception systems, (as relating to "conservative vs liberal") and the *disgust* response. That is science.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
12-06-2013, 01:53 AM
Because watching you being an idiot IS entertaining. Big Grin

Seriously though, I'm sure you can alter a persons perceptions and emotional responses through exposure to certain ideas, experiences, and so forth, there is nothing revolutionary about that. Now 'they' have to convince me that there is such a thing as altruism, because frankly I'm not convinced. I do wish I were though, it is kind of depressing to think that EVERYTHING is done out of self-interest, but that's what I lean toward. I dunno if I'm jaded or realistic. Maybe both.

12-06-2013, 06:31 AM
Parents often show altruism towards their kids, adults towards their mates... I think it's part of the "mothering/parenting/protection of the unit" set of instincts.

When push comes to shove, people can give their lives for someone else... no self-interest in that.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-06-2013, 12:36 PM
(12-06-2013 06:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  Parents often show altruism towards their kids, adults towards their mates... I think it's part of the "mothering/parenting/protection of the unit" set of instincts.

When push comes to shove, people can give their lives for someone else... no self-interest in that.

If I sacrifice myself to save my children it could be said that I am protecting my genetic makeup, and in a sense I am protecting my immortality. If I throw myself on a grenade in battle it could be said that I was protecting my children or potential children from 'the enemy' by giving my comrades an opportunity to kill 'them'. If I sacrifice myself for my spouse I am protecting the caregiver of my dna. In all cases it could be said that I am protecting and boosting my reputation and ensuring my memory lives on be doing something considered noble and noteworthy. You just can't prove that altruism exists, and I'm not convinced either.

12-06-2013, 01:13 PM
In my own experience, they can be unlearned as well. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
12-06-2013, 01:18 PM
(12-06-2013 01:13 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  In my own experience, they can be unlearned as well. Drinking Beverage

They are stripped away along the paths of religious or political fundamentalism, by sustained mental or physical abuse, by drug addiction, ...

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
12-06-2013, 01:25 PM
If you want a scientific explanation of altruism surely you should just consult Dawkins' good old 'The Selfish Gene'? Isn't the explanation for altruism towards relatives to do with kin selection? Even if it hasn't fully been explained yet, it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist; it clearly does. Drinking Beverage

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
12-06-2013, 01:29 PM
(07-06-2013 08:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It's not exactly on topic, but there's a Psych dude up at Cornell who done a lot of research on what forms our belief/perception systems, (as relating to "conservative vs liberal")...

I highly doubt there exists such a thing as concepts of conservative and liberal that are pre-programmed into the brain; how would that even have evolved? There are certain behaviours that are collected under the labels of "liberal" and "conservative" but aside from that they are meaningless terms relating to human biology and evolutionary behaviour. Tongue

"Humans always measure what they see in front of them to what they already know. They will deny anything outside of that. They are shallow lifeforms, so enthralled with superficial appearances that they fail to see the truth."
12-06-2013, 06:12 PM
(12-06-2013 12:36 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(12-06-2013 06:31 AM)Dom Wrote:  Parents often show altruism towards their kids, adults towards their mates... I think it's part of the "mothering/parenting/protection of the unit" set of instincts.

If I sacrifice myself to save my children it could be said that I am protecting my genetic makeup, and in a sense I am protecting my immortality. If I throw myself on a grenade in battle it could be said that I was protecting my children or potential children from 'the enemy' by giving my comrades an opportunity to kill 'them'. If I sacrifice myself for my spouse I am protecting the caregiver of my dna. In all cases it could be said that I am protecting and boosting my reputation and ensuring my memory lives on be doing something considered noble and noteworthy. You just can't prove that altruism exists, and I'm not convinced either.

I'm with you on this. I can always think of a reason why a person would act in a way that appears altruistic when in effect it is selfish.

It can be as simple as not wanting to live with the knowledge that they could have saved someone else but didn't which I think counters Dom's example and bolsters yours.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce