Compassion and altruism can be learned.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2013, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 08-07-2013 05:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Compassion and altruism can be learned.
The psychologists are weighing in now referencing the study in the OP by the neuroscientists.

"Although we don’t yet know why meditation has this effect, one of two explanations seems likely. The first rests on meditation’s documented ability to enhance attention, which might in turn increase the odds of noticing someone in pain (as opposed to being lost in one’s own thoughts). My favored explanation, though, derives from a different aspect of meditation: its ability to foster a view that all beings are interconnected. The psychologist Piercarlo Valdesolo and I have found that any marker of affiliation between two people, even something as subtle as tapping their hands together in synchrony, causes them to feel more compassion for each other when distressed. The increased compassion of meditators, then, might stem directly from meditation’s ability to dissolve the artificial social distinctions — ethnicity, religion, ideology and the like — that divide us."

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2013, 04:06 AM
RE: Compassion and altruism can be learned.
I'm tired of being compassionate and altruistic. I feel exploited and used in bad faith. I act in good faith and "The World" acts in bad faith. It could be the government, the corporation, or selfish people in general. Allow me to be a free thinker here:

Biologically, I think there is a reciprocity trait involved- you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. This applies to strangers in a community. of course towards family and children, no explanation for altruism is needed. We have to think in terms of benefit from reciprocity as well as group evolution.

Personally, I am tired of saving africa (which can't be saved) or the rest of the world or the drug addicts, etc. I am for justice and fairness, but nothing more. I would give my life for my race and folk if it could help them. I am from a race that values individuality and I like this principle, but it has been exploited by the masters- we also need to be a little bit collective and tribal like others are, like turks and semites and east asians. Why can't we also, eh? And women - the covenant there is been broken. I do nice things for women in good faith, from my heart, expecting nothing but respect but get taken for granted. There are exceptions, women who I can really respect but they are few. I don't fault the women alone. I think there has been massive post WWII social engineering, accidental or conspiratorial, doesn't matter, and which is really sad. It destroys trust and traditional covenants between people. Now we have to study what was once natural. When I am frustrated with work or women, I start avoiding these subjects. I like being nice to the down and out of my group, the old or young, the honest homeless man but it is always voluntary. I never feel guilt-obligation, or I am working on feeling less and less. I don't want any of this communist forced altrustic social engineering training, sensitivity egalitarian training. Let me be myself, be natural, be free, embrace conflict when necessary

remember: We evolved in communities, and they were communities of kin and race, and remember there is individual evolution at play, and group evolution, and reciprocity expectation, which should cut across all races and even certain species perhaps but there will always be people who exploit it in bad faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply