Compelling evidence for Christianity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2012, 02:13 AM
RE: Compelling evidence for Christianity
ideasonscribe:

You said you want to "learn the viewpoint of Atheists," but there is no singular viewpoint as Atheism is not a religion. It will be a tedious, inexhaustable and confusing job. There are so many good thinkers here. Why don't you simply enjoy getting to know individual voices. Many of the seemingly crazies here also have voice. Just listen, debate, converse, question and enjoy the diversity.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like depat's post
01-10-2012, 02:34 AM
(01-10-2012 02:13 AM)depat Wrote:  ideasonscribe:

You said you want to "learn the viewpoint of Atheists," but there is no singular viewpoint as Atheism is not a religion. It will be a tedious, inexhaustable and confusing job. There are so many good thinkers here. Why don't you simply enjoy getting to know individual voices. Many of the seemingly crazies here also have voice. Just listen, debate, converse, question and enjoy the diversity.

There is one fundamental view of Atheism as I have observed. It is that there is not enough evidence to support the existence of a diety.
That's what I mean when I say to learn the viewpoint of Atheists. I see what you're saying though, and that's not a bad idea.
Smile

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
01-10-2012, 02:50 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 04:05 AM by depat.)
That is not my fundamental viewpoint. I don't ask if there is evidence. If you gave absolute evidence, I would deny god on the bases that god has an ego I don't like and thus, for me there is something wrong with God.
01-10-2012, 05:58 AM
(01-10-2012 02:50 AM)depat Wrote:  That is not my fundamental viewpoint. I don't ask if there is evidence. If you gave absolute evidence, I would deny god on the bases that god has an ego I don't like and thus, for me there is something wrong with God.

Well yeah. I wouldn't Worship Yahweh because I feel the punishment should fit the crime, and I do not believe that Heaven or Hell is a good punishment/reward for the finite life we live on earth.

I see it like this: I acknowledge Hitler existed. He was real, and a being which had life. By acknowledging this I am NOT SIDING with Hitler, I am just stating a fact.

Just like if they prove God exists, I would stop being an atheist, but I wouldn't worship the Deity.

I think ,any of us forget that "non-religious" is a very good option for those that thinks God exists, but is a highly immoral jackass.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
01-10-2012, 06:29 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 02:57 PM by depat.)
What I'm saying here is that even Atheists have views, ideas, whatever, of what God is, mostly through Theists. The only idea I can and ever will get of God is flawed, a lie, So God is wrong; therefore, no one can prove it existence to me.
01-10-2012, 10:32 AM
(01-10-2012 02:50 AM)depat Wrote:  That is not my fundamental viewpoint. I don't ask if there is evidence. If you gave absolute evidence, I would deny god on the bases that god has an ego I don't like and thus, for me there is something wrong with God.

I think I sort of side with A2 on a point. The general viewpoint of Atheism is that God does not exist, or that the probability of his existence is too low to lead to belief in him. The only other viewpoint I can think of is the general "lack of belief" in God, but that still stems, usually, from a lack of evidence.

But if I gave enough evidence to convince you of his existence, and you still denied it, you would be equal to the Theist that has been shown blatant evidence to the contrary of his/her belief and still chooses to believe in it.
Some call this delusional.

By your statement, you would simply just not like him.

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
[+] 1 user Likes ideasonscribe's post
01-10-2012, 03:19 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 03:39 PM by depat.)
ideasonscribe:

This is so hard to explain. I hope this helps. Because I no longer carry an idea of god, god does not exist for me. The only reference to the existence of god I have is from theists, and that's a debate I leave to the pragmtism of science, and others. I care not for the science/creation debate. It has no relevence to my position. I am simply unable to reason or think of the god possibility. I see Theisim as a necessary stage in human evolution--like capitalism is to Marx. I don't dislike theism, and so I care not to disparage it.
This is likely the best I can give. Maybe on the flip side, the theist does reason similarly.
01-10-2012, 03:36 PM
A Professor told me once that the the brain is so involved in keeping the body functioning that processing thought is the most difficult thing the human brain does, and especially so because thinking/reasoning is so fallible.
01-10-2012, 04:09 PM
(01-10-2012 10:32 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  

I think I sort of side with A2 on a point. The general viewpoint of Atheism is that God does not exist, or that the probability of his existence is too low to lead to belief in him. The only other viewpoint I can think of is the general "lack of belief" in God, but that still stems, usually, from a lack of evidence.

But if I gave enough evidence to convince you of his existence, and you still denied it, you would be equal to the Theist that has been shown blatant evidence to the contrary of his/her belief and still chooses to believe in it.
Some call this delusional.

By your statement, you would simply just not like him.

I think that you would find many here who, if given proof that the God of the Bible exists, would not worship Him. I count myself in that group.

And if KC's God were to exist, I would join Satan's Army in order to bring down the horrific son of a bitch.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-10-2012, 04:15 PM
(01-10-2012 10:32 AM)ideasonscribe Wrote:  But if I gave enough evidence to convince you of his existence [...]
The stage is yours. Sleepy

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post