Complaint About Thanksgiving Prayer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2012, 10:29 PM
Complaint About Thanksgiving Prayer
Just wanted to rant. At Thanksgiving my Mother in Law makes a big thing about gathering everyone together for prayer, and it's never short and simple, it goes on and on. I just stand there sometimes looking at my shoes, other times just gazing around the room wishing it would end soon.
I can tolerate people praying around me, I don't mind if they want to engage in a little ritual before eating, but damn when it's so long and melodramatic, it just irritates the hell out of me.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like JDS's post
22-11-2012, 10:34 PM
RE: Complaint About Thanksgiving Prayer
Yup! Regular prayer doesn't bother me. Preaching prayer does. I hate being talked and told to in regards to religion.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
22-11-2012, 11:36 PM
We had my mom's pastor and his family over so that meant the prayer was extra special because it came from a Reverend.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
22-11-2012, 11:47 PM
(22-11-2012 10:29 PM)JDS Wrote:  Just wanted to rant. At Thanksgiving my Mother in Law makes a big thing about gathering everyone together for prayer, and it's never short and simple, it goes on and on. I just stand there sometimes looking at my shoes, other times just gazing around the room wishing it would end soon.
I can tolerate people praying around me, I don't mind if they want to engage in a little ritual before eating, but damn when it's so long and melodramatic, it just irritates the hell out of me.
My new tactic, my dad taught me .. "Excuse me, I need to use the rest room. Don't wait for me".
What can they say ? Ya gotta go, ya gotta go. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
22-11-2012, 11:48 PM
(22-11-2012 11:36 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  We had my mom's pastor and his family over so that meant the prayer was extra special because it came from a Reverend.

My my...that is special. Is he the one who sacrificed the turkey?
OHHMYGODPLEASETELLMEHEWASTHEONEWHOSACRIFICEDTHETURKEY!!!

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
22-11-2012, 11:48 PM
My family broke out the guitars and conga. Apparently they were 'lead by the spirit', someone actually said that. They started singing jesus music, and I fucked right off to my room.

Contribute to the Community Resource!
[+] 5 users Like Near's post
22-11-2012, 11:56 PM
(22-11-2012 10:29 PM)JDS Wrote:  Just wanted to rant. At Thanksgiving my Mother in Law makes a big thing about gathering everyone together for prayer, and it's never short and simple, it goes on and on. I just stand there sometimes looking at my shoes, other times just gazing around the room wishing it would end soon.

lol
I was getting my 1st helping of food when my brother-in law said to his mom and son, what are we grateful for, who wants to say grace? I went in the kitchen and got my drink and the rolls and when they had finished I went back in and said, Im grateful that I missed that. Laughat
Hope everyone had a wonderful day with friends and family.
[+] 4 users Like Irishdize's post
23-11-2012, 12:01 AM
(22-11-2012 11:48 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(22-11-2012 11:36 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  We had my mom's pastor and his family over so that meant the prayer was extra special because it came from a Reverend.

My my...that is special. Is he the one who sacrificed the turkey?
OHHMYGODPLEASETELLMEHEWASTHEONEWHOSACRIFICEDTHETURKEY!!!
Don't worry. I neutralized him quite easily. For you see, I still hold my own Reverendness, only now I use my power for the will of the Emperor!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
23-11-2012, 12:01 AM
There are also other ways to phrase things. I think it's fine, and maybe even good to "count your blessings", not in a religious sense, but
just recognizing that we, (I anyway), are fortunate, and remember that not everyone is as fortunate as we are.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

23-11-2012, 12:03 AM
(23-11-2012 12:01 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There are also other ways to phrase things. I think it's fine, and maybe even good to "count your blessings", not in a religious sense, but
just recognizing that we, (I anyway), are fortunate, and remember that not everyone is as fortunate as we are.

One could almost do that...you know...any ol' time of the year.
Almost.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post