Complete the sentence "Trump is......."

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-11-2016, 01:29 PM
RE: Complete the sentence "Trump is......."
(22-11-2016 12:40 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(22-11-2016 12:20 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  The founders thought, in the 18th century, that there were good reasons for it. I'm not so sure they were right, and I'm even less sure that their reasons are valid today. I see no reason why it should not be a straight popular vote. I could make an argument for various alternate ways of doing it, but I don't see what advantage the Electoral College gives. It gives the more populous states more power than they deserve, and I don't see that as a good thing.

Um no if that were the case Hillary would have won The electoral college was designed neither for the majority or mnority

I'm talking about the general theory, not the details of this specific election. One of the arguments for the Electoral College is that it prevents the more populous states from having too much say in the election. I think it does just the opposite. If a candidate wins a populous state by a handful of votes, they get all of that state's electoral votes. Since the number of electoral votes for a state is proportional to the population of the state, this will have the same effect as 100% of the state voting for that candidate in a straight popular vote. The effect is way out of proportion to the actual vote. In most elections, the overall electoral vote tracks the overall popular vote, but the 2000 and 2016 elections show how it can go wrong.

Big states like California and New York will have a greater effect on the election than small states no matter how you do it, but the Electoral College just amplifies that effect.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-11-2016, 01:32 PM
More like Hillary put 350 yards passing while Trump only put up 150 and Hillary fumbled in in overtime. Certainly not an ass kicking nor a mandate considering she won the popular vote

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-11-2016, 01:38 PM
...what we got stuck with because so many people didn't vote.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
22-11-2016, 03:14 PM
..a huge turn-on.
22-11-2016, 03:16 PM
....having the last laugh.

... in for a shock when he realises he's taken on more than he can chew.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
22-11-2016, 04:20 PM
an orange nightmare.

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
22-11-2016, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 23-11-2016 04:13 PM by Paleophyte.)
The misbegotten spawn of Joseph McCarthy and an Oompa-Loompa

Having the first, last and only laugh.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
22-11-2016, 06:24 PM (This post was last modified: 22-11-2016 06:54 PM by julep.)
...unfit.
...never my president.
...going to stiff the contractors he hires to gild the Oval Office.
22-11-2016, 06:40 PM
going to die, some day! Clap

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
23-11-2016, 09:34 AM
(22-11-2016 12:11 PM)Impulse Wrote:  You too? Facepalm Did I say the electoral college is bad?
No, you didn't. Am I to take it that you're in favor of the the Electoral College then? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]