Complicated Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Complicated Science
Part of the reason people are christians is because they have trouble understanding science. It can be very hard to understand sometimes. I was debating earlier with a christian and he asked me, "If matter cannot be created or destroyed then how did the big bang happen?" I could not answer this question. I called a friend and he said this is very complicated physics but he could not really answer it because it is well hard to explain. The answer is out there. Can you all help me?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2010, 08:00 PM

RE: Complicated Science
The problem with that question is that we do not know what happened a second before the big bang. Or where the singularity came from.

One possible answer is that the matter that makes up our visible universe came from another universe. They are looking into that now.

And as for the 'matter cannot be created' part that it seems is not true. If imaginary particles are indeed real then matter can come into existence from nothing... it staying is another matter because it comes along with its 'anti matter' pair so they nullify eachother.... its interesting stuff.

One thing people need to realize is That its ok to say "I dont know" without the need to run to "the magicman did it".
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2010, 08:15 PM
I've heard several things about this. One thing is that the prior to the Big Bang, there was energy. The energy turned into the matter that makes our universe. Another thing is that something can come from nothing, so some suspect. DrNekoDR explained this. I've also heard that the laws of our universe, such as the law of conservation, can't be applied before the Big Bang, since we don't know the properties of the universe back then. We only know it was nothing like we know it today. I remember a creationist asked me that a while ago. I said it was complicated, and omitted how pointless a conversation about that with them would be.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
03-05-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:I was debating earlier with a christian and he asked me, "If matter cannot be created or destroyed then how did the big bang happen?"

Although it appears to be a very valid question, I think it points to a much bigger problem with religious believers in general.

What is the reason they don't understand (not just the one omega21 was debating with...I've seen this type of question in various comment sections on YouTube)?

Is it simply "science is too hard, so I won't even try'?

Or is it "I took one class (basic biology) and my basic interpretation is all I'm basing my response on"?

Or is it "this conflicts with my religious belief, so I'll abandon it"?

Frankly, a theist who holds their religious belief so high up should not even attempt to debate science. The bible is not a science book.

But, if idiots like Ken Ham, Kent Hovind (and his 'just-as-blind' son), Behe, and others have their way, these types of questions will not have answers like 'I don't know, but we are learning more every day" but more like "god did it. Now let's get us some holy lemonade!"

I agree with DrNeko when he says "...its ok to say "I dont know" without the need to run to "the magicman did it".
04-05-2010, 01:37 AM
Yes science is complicated, and we are but amateurs. We may carry out research on the Big Bang and the advent of life etc but we can't have the same insight as a professional scientist does, we can only know what we read in books, or on the Internet, or see in documentaries etc. And even if we had a proficient knowledge of science, there are many distinct theories, and scientists disagree on many respects. We don't have a clear-cut explanation on how the universe came into being, or even on how we came into being, but science is evolving, and expanding and continuously looking into the matter. The truth is an elusive matter, but you can't possibly know it or even get close to it if you are content with mediocrity and with limiting your natural inquisitive pursuits to reading a mythological book written thousands of years ago, that appears to answer the questions, but fails to account for the mind-blowing complexity of our world. And even if you do not exclude intelligent design from the equation, how is Yahweh an intelligent creator, if the explanation provided in the Bible wouldn't be adequate for a 10 year-old? This is, in my view, an issue that must be pointed out to in your debate.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2010, 05:57 AM
(03-05-2010 07:33 PM)omega21 Wrote:  Part of the reason people are christians is because they have trouble understanding science. It can be very hard to understand sometimes. I was debating earlier with a christian and he asked me, "If matter cannot be created or destroyed then how did the big bang happen?" I could not answer this question. I called a friend and he said this is very complicated physics but he could not really answer it because it is well hard to explain. The answer is out there. Can you all help me?

I never thought it was that complicated, myself.

1. Before the universe, no time.
2. No time, no law of causality.
3. No law of causality, no cause-effect relationships.
4. No cause-effect relationships, no cause for the universe - or laws preventing the creation of matter and energy.

It's not science, just logic.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Thank you all for your responses. I will use them when I see him again. He is a part of the baseball team here, like me, so I will see him again very soon. Also, when I brought up the biblical contradictions that this site pointed out he had no idea how to respond. Just goes to show how uninformed he really is about religion and the Bible.
04-05-2010, 08:37 AM

I'm sure this has been said before, but I chuckle as a scientist when a Christian will ask me what created the Big Bang. I will say either I don't know or that nothing created the big bang it just is and always has been etc whatever. Now they will be smug and say how could something just be that makes no sense there HAS to be a creator! Then the simple question is well who created the creator to which they answer quite asuredly as if the most obvious thing "he was always there". Then thet revel in their victory as I walk away shaking my head. Done in by stupidity again.
04-05-2010, 11:48 AM
(04-05-2010 08:37 AM)Dregs Wrote:  Then the simple question is well who created the creator to which they answer quite asuredly as if the most obvious thing "he was always there". Then thet revel in their victory as I walk away shaking my head. Done in by stupidity again.

If I had a nickel for every time I had a debate end in the same way you just described... I love how they can apply the language when they are on the attack but they can't seem to make the connection themselves... Furthermore, even if you try to connect the dots for them they tend to ignore your logic and apply some logical fallacy to explain the gaps...

Morons, the lot of them.

24-05-2010, 10:14 PM

I also fill that science is sometimes very hard to understand.and I am sometimes so much confuse to read a physics and any other subjects of science.so I called for that its a mind exercise.