15-01-2014, 09:28 AM
RE: Complimenting Strangers
[Image: 145020.jpg]

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2014, 10:18 AM
The words "Im giving people free compliments today" immediately null the compliments meaning and intention Laughat

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
15-01-2014, 10:30 AM
(15-01-2014 10:18 AM)bemore Wrote:  The words "Im giving people free compliments today" immediately null the compliments meaning and intention Laughat

But the effect is what's important.

Last month when I went to oncology I spent a lot of time in the waiting room outside the infusion area where people get their chemo treatments. I see a lot of people when I have those appointments in varying stages of their treatment.

An older lady, tiny little thing, came out of the door to infusion area. She was using a walker, had on a wig (nicely styled but of course that meant she had no hair), slowly making her way out of the clinic with a man that was presumably her husband of many years. Both of them looked pale and exhausted. Patient and caretaker.

She was wearing a beautiful red coat...not my taste but it clearly showed her style and she was hanging onto it though the coat was drooping a bit around the shoulders, a sign of weight loss. She glanced up from the placement of her walker and our eyes met. I simply said, "What a beautiful coat." She looked down at her coat and back at me with a huge smile, when her man saw this he also smiled and looked and me and mouthed, 'Thank you'."

It wasn't hard, it took nothing from me. It obviously meant a lot to both of them. Sometimes people just need to hear something nice. They could be going through things that you have no idea about and a word or two can make a lot of difference.

Since then, I have been making a point to do that more often.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude.

Just because her eyes don't tear doesn't mean her heart doesn't cry. Just because she comes off strong doesn't mean there's nothing wrong.
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
15-01-2014, 12:30 PM
"Oh wow, thanks Lindsey sterling, I was just going to say you suck and your music all sounds the same."

I'm ready...
15-01-2014, 01:19 PM
(15-01-2014 10:30 AM)Anjele Wrote:  But the effect is what's important.

Last month when I went to oncology I spent a lot of time in the waiting room outside the infusion area where people get their chemo treatments. I see a lot of people when I have those appointments in varying stages of their treatment.

An older lady, tiny little thing, came out of the door to infusion area. She was using a walker, had on a wig (nicely styled but of course that meant she had no hair), slowly making her way out of the clinic with a man that was presumably her husband of many years. Both of them looked pale and exhausted. Patient and caretaker.

She was wearing a beautiful red coat...not my taste but it clearly showed her style and she was hanging onto it though the coat was drooping a bit around the shoulders, a sign of weight loss. She glanced up from the placement of her walker and our eyes met. I simply said, "What a beautiful coat." She looked down at her coat and back at me with a huge smile, when her man saw this he also smiled and looked and me and mouthed, 'Thank you'."

It wasn't hard, it took nothing from me. It obviously meant a lot to both of them. Sometimes people just need to hear something nice. They could be going through things that you have no idea about and a word or two can make a lot of difference.

Crap, now I got sommin in my eye. Sadcryface

Not an easy thing to do in my case. Nice story Bowing
[+] 2 users Like War Horse's post
15-01-2014, 01:24 PM
(15-01-2014 10:30 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 10:18 AM)bemore Wrote:  The words "Im giving people free compliments today" immediately null the compliments meaning and intention Laughat

But the effect is what's important.

I lost my mother to the big C 4 years ago. She was super vain, right to the end! This post really moved me! ... You my lady are a gem!

Post of the week! Thumbsup

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post