Computer Help Please!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Computer Help Please!
Okay, I own a dell PC, (not sure exactly which type) the other day it was downloading or updating something or the other and said "do not turn off computer".

Now, I was in a really pissy mood that day, and being very bad at listening to machines, I turned off the computer.

Now, whenever I try to turn it on, it says; "Fatal error c0000034 applying update 213 of some long number."

Would anyone be able to help me with this?

P.S, Oh, and before anyone asks, I'm typing from my dad's computer.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheLastEnemy's post
25-05-2013, 09:13 PM
RE: Computer Help Please!
Can you start it in safe mode?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
25-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Yes try starting in Safe Mode.

For Windows 7 and Vista (Uggghhhhh!!!!), try this
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...-safe-mode

If this does not work, you may have to use a System Restore point.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windo...em-restore

Your computer periodically does this as a safety backup. When a restore point is used, your computer reconfigures your hard drive and OS to the condition it was in at the point of the restore. When you use this, you will lose any data and files that you created or modified between the restore point and your last use, but losses should be minimal as your computer makes restore points every few days.

If all else fails, its time for the nuclear option; you're gonna have to reformat your hard drive and re-install your OS as well as all your software. You will lose all the data on the hard drive, so make sure you have a backup available to restore all your personal files. If you don't have the OS on DVD-ROM, you can usually obtain it free of cost from your computer's manufacturer (you bought the license to it when you bought the computer).

Hope this helps.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
25-05-2013, 11:03 PM

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
25-05-2013, 11:20 PM
(25-05-2013 10:49 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Yes try starting in Safe Mode.

Your computer periodically does this as a safety backup. When a restore point is used, your computer reconfigures your hard drive and OS to the condition it was in at the point of the restore. When you use this, you will lose any data and files that you created or modified between the restore point and your last use, but losses should be minimal as your computer makes restore points every few days.

If all else fails, its time for the nuclear option; you're gonna have to reformat your hard drive and re-install your OS as well as all your software. You will lose all the data on the hard drive, so make sure you have a backup available to restore all your personal files. If you don't have the OS on DVD-ROM, you can usually obtain it free of cost from your computer's manufacturer (you bought the license to it when you bought the computer).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice but...Neither of the first two options worked, my computer was stuck on the loading files bit, and it said the restart failed.

How would I go about the "nuclear option"? (I Don't really have any personal files so that's not an issue.)
26-05-2013, 02:22 AM
(25-05-2013 11:20 PM)TheLastEnemy Wrote:  
(25-05-2013 10:49 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Yes try starting in Safe Mode.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice but...Neither of the first two options worked, my computer was stuck on the loading files bit, and it said the restart failed.

How would I go about the "nuclear option"? (I Don't really have any personal files so that's not an issue.)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windo...-windows-7

That should be the basis for doing a re-install. If you don't have the OS disks from Dell, you'll have to call them and have them mailed to you. Once you have the disks, insert them into your DVD or BD drive and power on your computer. It's a pretty straightforward process but takes about 2-3 hours from start to finish.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
26-05-2013, 05:28 AM
Oh the pain, the misery!

Mine crashed recently and when I went to use the backup it was corrupt.

I had LOTS of vital files. I will be spending months getting it all back.

And here I thought mostly politicians were corrupt....

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-05-2013, 11:18 AM
The other guys already gave all the useful advice, but...

26-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Sorry I can't help more...I am not a computer whiz...but you did remind me it's time for a backup.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
26-05-2013, 02:32 PM
You might want to test your hard drive to make sure it isn't going bad - because if it is, you are wasting your time doing a reinstall. Some PCs have a hard drive test option in the BIOS, so use your spare PC to check Dell's website to find out if your model has this feature.