Computer geeks, chime in. Windows XP freezing and/or not shutting down...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2013, 07:10 AM
Computer geeks, chime in. Windows XP freezing and/or not shutting down...
I have a Windows XP machine that will sometimes freeze up without warning. When this happens, I have no other recourse but to hold the power button until it shuts down.

Also, . . . most of the time, when I haven't had an issue with freezing, and go to shut down the system, . . . it will hang at the "Windows is shutting down" blue screen . . . . and I'm [again] forced to hold the power button in until the machine shuts down.

Any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2013, 07:20 AM
RE: Computer geeks, chime in. Windows XP freezing and/or not shutting down...
(11-10-2013 07:10 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  I have a Windows XP machine that will sometimes freeze up without warning. When this happens, I have no other recourse but to hold the power button until it shuts down.

Also, . . . most of the time, when I haven't had an issue with freezing, and go to shut down the system, . . . it will hang at the "Windows is shutting down" blue screen . . . . and I'm [again] forced to hold the power button in until the machine shuts down.

Any ideas?

Laptop?

I had this problem on two different laptops, an IBM and a Dell. I don't believe I ever found a fix for it, even with all the XP updates installed. My best recollection of the explanation was a race condition between drivers locking up the kernel.

It seemed entirely random.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Do you get the BSOD sometimes, or only freezing and hanging while shutting down?

Have you tried reinstalling windows, and how old is the installation? SP3?

Could be all sorts of problems, but what Chas said makes a lot of sense. How often do you get it?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
11-10-2013, 08:34 AM
This is a desktop. . . . . about ~5 years old or so.

No BSOD, . . . just freezes and hanging while shutting down. It can happen [the not shutting down fully] almost every time. In fact, it has gotten to the point where I am pleasently surprised when it DOES shut down normally.

If I reinstalled Windows, . . . what does that do to my other programs [Excel, Word, etc]?
11-10-2013, 09:51 AM
(11-10-2013 08:34 AM)DeavonReye Wrote:  This is a desktop. . . . . about ~5 years old or so.

No BSOD, . . . just freezes and hanging while shutting down. It can happen [the not shutting down fully] almost every time. In fact, it has gotten to the point where I am pleasently surprised when it DOES shut down normally.

If I reinstalled Windows, . . . what does that do to my other programs [Excel, Word, etc]?

Oh, that sounds more like a hardware problem. The driver for the failing/flaky hardware can't shut it down as is hanging.

You might try updating drivers.

Another (tedious) approach is to selectively replace, remove, or disable components to see if you can isolate the problem to a specific component.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Your first problem is having Windows XP.

Drinking Beverage

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
11-10-2013, 12:52 PM
I use Hiren's BootCD for a lot of my diagnostic work. It has some great utilities to help discover the root of the problem and potentially fix it, all on one bootable CD. It has diagnostic software for the core components of the computer MoBo, HDD, RAM, Video, the things that are essential for running the computer.

If all those things test OK, then you need to go through the process of removing one non-essential component at a time and seeing if the computer freezes without that particular component installed. Once you've identified the faulty component, you can see if it just needs updated drivers or if the device is broken.

Also, as a general rule, before I start diagnostics, I check all the capacitors in the computer to make sure none are blown out. That can be a very quick indicator of what's wrong.

EDIT: Forgot to include the link to Hiren's

Hiren's BootCD15.2

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
12-10-2013, 01:07 AM
Install and run Ccleaner and Defraggler. (in that order)

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
13-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Again, thanks guys! I will give those options a go.
13-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Here's something else. I let it stay on the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen. Eventually, this message popped up:

"Windows was unable to save all the data for the E:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error is caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

Not sure if this has anything to do with the issue at hand.