Computer trouble

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2010, 12:58 AM

Computer trouble
Is anyone here good with computers? I mean REALLY good? I have a bluetooth problem.
Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2010, 09:53 AM
RE: Computer trouble
Google

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2010, 11:16 AM

(30-10-2010 09:53 AM)Green Wrote:  Google

Tried that.
30-10-2010, 02:46 PM

(30-10-2010 11:16 AM)Soldieringon Wrote:  
(30-10-2010 09:53 AM)Green Wrote:  Google

Tried that.

Perhaps some more explanation is in order. I bought a Dell Mini1010 last year before coming to Korea so the wife and I could stay in touch. I know it had blue tooth when I got it because I transferred songs from my phone to the laptop. Somewhere over the last year, the blue tooth disappeared. I am running Windows XP SP3. Installed is a Broadcom BT2046.
  • It shows up as working properly in device manager.
  • It doesn't show an icon in the system tray.
  • I have reset the BIOS to factory settings and ensured that blue tooth was enabled
  • I have reinstalled the WIDCOMM software.
  • I have reinstalled every driver for both the wireless LAN and the bluetooth
  • I have the stupid pink icon in the system tray that allows me to turn on the bluetooth and wireless LAN
  • my firewall is turned on
  • I am running Avast (if that makes a difference)
  • my network connection shows that my bluetooth adapter is working fine, and that there are no issues, but there is a red X showing no connection. Repair, however is grayed out.

I have reinstalled the BT software and drivers (again), and found a folder on the hard drive called "My Bluetooth Places" When I click on anything in that folder, however, I get one of the two following messages:
Quote:1: Bluetooth device not found
2: Please verify that your bluetooth device is properly connected and turned on.
My cellphone detects my computer, but my MP3 player does not. My cell phone, however can not connect. On the phone I get a message asking me if the passcode is correct, but nothing happens on the computer.

I bought a dongle, thinking that installing it would force the BT software to reset, but no luck. And the dongle doesn't work either, because it says no BT device is connected.
31-10-2010, 06:25 AM

SOLVED
Over 48 hours later, it was solved (by me) without reinstalling windows XP.

I went into C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools\Computer management

and in there, under Services and applications\Services I located Bluetooth Support Service (I say located, but I stumbled on it earlier on accident by poking around)

I then directed Windows to stop all Bluetooth support, and stop the separate Bluetooth Service.

When I went to uninstall/reinstall my Broadcom adapter, it wasn't even listed. So I went through and deleted everything under the Device Manager that was even remotely related to the Bluetooth.

I deleted the Bluetooth modem, LAN Access Server Driver, ALL PORTS (whether serial or COM), and every single USB host/driver because of the dongle that I tried.

From there, I deleted the driver files from Dell for a clean install (R206978)

I then went into add/remove programs, uninstalled the WIDCOMM software and rebooted the computer.

From there, I went into BIOS, disabled my bluetooth and restarted again.

I let the computer boot fully, and noticed I had no mouse (silly me for deleting all the USB controllers), but everything started reinstalling immediately. Still no bluetooth though.

I went on the Dell website and redownloaded R206978 and left it on the desktop.

I rebooted, accessed the BIOS and re-enabled the bluetooth and rebooted AGAIN. All of a sudden my bluetooth adapter and BUS enumerator reinstalled themselves and I let it go. Finally, I reinstalled the WIDCOMM software (R206978), and the installation wizard came up to customize my bluetooth!

FIXED! (sort of)

Now, it thinks my MP3 player is a hands free device, and won't transfer files to it. But that's an issue for another forum.
31-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Computer problem. If you have a computer, you have a problem.
31-10-2010, 04:50 PM

(31-10-2010 04:46 PM)No J. Wrote:  Computer problem. If you have a computer, you have a problem.

My computer usually behaves really well, I just had a problem with third party hard and software. Oh well. The problem seems to have been between the Bluetooth stack provided by WIDCOMM and the one provided by Windows. As for it thinking my MP3 player is a hands free device, thats because it can act as one for my phone, and that is the role it was in when it was paired. I simply have to uninstall and reinstall it.
31-10-2010, 05:08 PM
I am not as versed at computers to fix the problem like you did. I could learn, but I get frustrated when I try to run down problems and I would rather get someone else to fix is so I can do stuff I want to do, instead.
P.S. I should have added Tongue to my last post. Blush
31-10-2010, 05:21 PM

(31-10-2010 05:08 PM)No J. Wrote:  I am not as versed at computers to fix the problem like you did. I could learn, but I get frustrated when I try to run down problems and I would rather get someone else to fix is so I can do stuff I want to do, instead.

I fix them for my friends for free. I just don't feel right charging for that while I am in the army. I may branch it out into a part time business when I get out, but for now, I am simply fixing friend's computers at no cost.

(31-10-2010 05:08 PM)No J. Wrote:  P.S. I should have added Tongue to my last post. Blush

I figured. there was no offense taken by me. Smile
(p.s.: I am learning "wish you were here" by Pink Floyd. The solo's giving me a bit of trouble, but I love the song.)
01-11-2010, 02:30 AM
(31-10-2010 05:21 PM)Soldieringon Wrote:  (p.s.: I am learning "wish you were here" by Pink Floyd. The solo's giving me a bit of trouble, but I love the song.)

Learn a few bars. Memorize them. Then move to the next few bars.