Computer woes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2014, 02:09 AM
RE: Computer woes
(01-11-2014 09:30 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 09:29 PM)pablo Wrote:  Mine would overheat and get very slow, I would shut it off to cool down and it would be ok again for a few hours.
Finally, one day it just shut off like I pulled the plug and never worked again.
Hope you have better luck.

We're you able to save all the stuff on your hard drive? It's been a while since I've done an external backup Confused I need to take better care of this stuff.

Smerc, when was the last time you cleaned out your laptop? If it really is that old, and you've never cleaned the dust out from inside it, it could be choking on dust and simply overheating. This can cause it to throttle down the CPU to prevent thermal failure, and even shutting down if it gets too hot. I clean my computer out every other week, and I even have added air filters in front of my air intake vents.

At the very least pick up a can of compressed air, which can usually be found in the electronics section of most retail chains like Walmart and Target, and try blowing the dust out of your computer. You might be able to loosen it up and get a lot of it out without actually having to open up the laptop itself. Unless you're somewhat tech savvy and are in possession of an ESD bracelet and a tech oriented toolkit or screwdriver set, you probably shouldn't try taking it apart if you can help it.

[Image: 819cvWqktxL._SL1500_.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
02-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Yeah, it's uh....Unsure Been a while .... Facepalm

Would it still run in safe mode if that was the issue? I can run it in safe mode all day without it freezing.

I'll give it a shot!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
02-11-2014, 09:58 AM
CLEAN THE FAN!

Overheating causes CPU to slow down to attempt to control the heat. If it still overheats computer shuts down.

Clean fan = no worries.

Also make sure air vents aren't blocked when using machine.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
02-11-2014, 10:09 AM
Guess a new backup is in order today - hard drive and my phone.

Thanks for the reminder! Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-11-2014, 11:32 AM
My laptop doesn't seem to be overheating, it's still pretty cool to the touch even after freezing up. I got a can of air, dusted the fuck out of the fan, the fan vent, the keyboard, the speakers, the disc drive, and all ports. Still froze up after about ten minutes.

Weeping

Not the storage space, not an overloaded CPU issue, not a dust issue, not a virus issue... Yeah gunna have to take this in. I don't trust myself to take it apart to see if it needs any more internal cleaning. Unless there's something else I might have missed?

Thank you all for the suggestions so far.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
02-11-2014, 12:19 PM
They come apart pretty easy. Lots of instructions online. Lol
02-11-2014, 01:45 PM
(02-11-2014 12:19 PM)pablo Wrote:  They come apart pretty easy. Lots of instructions online. Lol

It's the taking them apart so you can still put em back together that's the hard part Tongue Otherwise ya can just drop it Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-11-2014, 12:14 AM
Trust me, I'm an IT.

[Image: hammer_PNG3888.png]

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
03-11-2014, 09:00 AM
I was almost at that point DL!

Last night I tried one more time to update itunes, I was so excited, it almost completely downloaded Big Grin then.... Blue screen with a message saying my computer had to shut down to avoid damage Dodgy looking for someone to fix it today, or at least someone to pull my hard drive and back it up for me so I can put it on the next laptop Undecided

I won't be able to use my new iPad til after Christmas Weeping

03-11-2014, 10:05 AM
(01-11-2014 10:39 PM)pablo Wrote:  No, and I have some files on there that I need.
I still have it, so maybe I can find a way to get my stuff from the HD.
Buy a USB case for your HDD (about $10), take the HDD out of the laptop and stick it in the case. Now you have an external HDD which can be read/written as you wish.