Computer woes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2014, 10:08 AM
RE: Computer woes
Smercury, when did you make a defrag last time?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2014, 10:26 AM
(03-11-2014 09:00 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I was almost at that point DL!

Last night I tried one more time to update itunes, I was so excited, it almost completely downloaded Big Grin then.... Blue screen with a message saying my computer had to shut down to avoid damage Dodgy looking for someone to fix it today, or at least someone to pull my hard drive and back it up for me so I can put it on the next laptop Undecided

I won't be able to use my new iPad til after Christmas Weeping

It sounds like a heat problem. You need to vacuum out the fan, not blow air into it. Do this with the power off.

And hold the vacuum nozzle tightly on the intake side of the fan for at least 30 seconds. You may likely end up with dirt/hair/gack that you will need tweezers to pull out.

You don't need to take the laptop apart, but you may be able to do a more thorough job if you do.

I bet you have cats and/or dogs. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-11-2014, 11:53 AM
(03-11-2014 10:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 09:00 AM)Smercury44 Wrote:  I was almost at that point DL!

Last night I tried one more time to update itunes, I was so excited, it almost completely downloaded Big Grin then.... Blue screen with a message saying my computer had to shut down to avoid damage Dodgy looking for someone to fix it today, or at least someone to pull my hard drive and back it up for me so I can put it on the next laptop Undecided

I won't be able to use my new iPad til after Christmas Weeping

It sounds like a heat problem. You need to vacuum out the fan, not blow air into it. Do this with the power off.

And hold the vacuum nozzle tightly on the intake side of the fan for at least 30 seconds. You may likely end up with dirt/hair/gack that you will need tweezers to pull out.

You don't need to take the laptop apart, but you may be able to do a more thorough job if you do.

I bet you have cats and/or dogs. Consider

Crap, wish I would have tried that before I took it in. Just got back from dropping it off. Yeah, I have two cats, and I have taken pretty bad care in cleaning it, and making sure I store it away from high traffic cat areas Undecided I've really neglected it since I've got the iPad, I'm a bad laptop owner.

Think it makes any difference that the fan and intake didn't look dirty? I've probably only turned it on a handful of times in the past five years.

Plus, I've felt it get warm before from using it for long periods of time. It never got very warm while trying to use it these past couple of days.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
03-11-2014, 12:15 PM
The problem with laptops is that the possibilities of what is wrong are almost endless (annoying, I know, I've experienced a fuck ton of headaches with computers). This could possibly be a hardware issue, hinting that your hardware is probably going to fail soon. Have you tried to download any other applications to your laptop to see if it's just Itunes, or to see if it's any and all kinds of downloads?

Also Norton is shit, but that's just my opinion.

OH and in the future, buy a cooling pad for your laptop; it's a little pad that you place your laptop onto. It keeps your laptop cool, and it helps keep a mass amount of dust from clogging the laptop fan (the built in fan that's purpose is to keep your laptop cool.) Constantly sitting your laptop on surfaces (beds, counters, tables, your lap) allows it to suck up dust. In turn this causes your computer to become really hot, really quick, and too much heat can make your computer really slow and even crash.
04-11-2014, 04:50 PM
So, the folks at the repair shop say my hard drive is just about dead, and that's what is causing my issues. They say I need to just buy a new laptop, and they can transfer the data from my old hard drive to the new one. Yuck!

So I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. The laptop is literally only used to back up my iPad data, burn the occasional cd, and watch the occasional flash video. Do these computers look decent? They are in he price range I'd prefer, and have the storage capacity I need.

Dell computer

another Dell

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
04-11-2014, 05:22 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 05:53 PM by pablo.)
(04-11-2014 04:50 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  So, the folks at the repair shop say my hard drive is just about dead, and that's what is causing my issues. They say I need to just buy a new laptop, and they can transfer the data from my old hard drive to the new one. Yuck!

So I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. The laptop is literally only used to back up my iPad data, burn the occasional cd, and watch the occasional flash video. Do these computers look decent? They are in he price range I'd prefer, and have the storage capacity I need.

Dell computer

another Dell

I saw a Toshiba (yea I know) at Best Buy a couple weeks ago for $299. 750GB HD. You might be able to get it cheaper now with the holidays coming up.
04-11-2014, 07:26 PM
(04-11-2014 04:50 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  So, the folks at the repair shop say my hard drive is just about dead, and that's what is causing my issues. They say I need to just buy a new laptop, and they can transfer the data from my old hard drive to the new one. Yuck!

Dell computer

another Dell

1. Wait for black Friday deals.
2. Get any anti viral besides Norton.

Atir aissom atir imon
04-11-2014, 07:30 PM
(04-11-2014 07:26 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  

Dell computer

another Dell

1. Wait for black Friday deals.

Gasp Ryan!?!?! Did you come back just to give me computer advice? Blush Tongue Hug

04-11-2014, 07:36 PM
(04-11-2014 07:30 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 07:26 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  1. Wait for black Friday deals.

Gasp Ryan!?!?! Did you come back just to give me computer advice? Blush Tongue Hug

I'm debating whether or not I should post something. So I instinctively started browsing through the new posts list, and since I'm looking for a new TV/laptop, thought I should bring up that black Friday will save you a ton of money. Especially on Amazon Smile Hug

Atir aissom atir imon
04-11-2014, 07:37 PM

Dell computer

another Dell

If it's the hard drive, just replace the hard drive.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user