Computer woes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2014, 07:52 PM
RE: Computer woes
(04-11-2014 07:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 04:50 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  So, the folks at the repair shop say my hard drive is just about dead, and that's what is causing my issues. They say I need to just buy a new laptop, and they can transfer the data from my old hard drive to the new one. Yuck!

So I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. The laptop is literally only used to back up my iPad data, burn the occasional cd, and watch the occasional flash video. Do these computers look decent? They are in he price range I'd prefer, and have the storage capacity I need.

Dell computer

another Dell

If it's the hard drive, just replace the hard drive.

They said my laptop is old enough that replacing the hard drive would only hold me over so long, and that my other hardware will likely start failing soon too Undecided

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2014, 08:02 PM
(04-11-2014 07:52 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 07:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  If it's the hard drive, just replace the hard drive.

They said my laptop is old enough that replacing the hard drive would only hold me over so long, and that my other hardware will likely start failing soon too Undecided

Hard drives don't cost much. Have that replaced and it will get you through till you find the new one you want and you won't have to rush to a decision.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-11-2014, 08:10 PM
(04-11-2014 08:02 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 07:52 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  They said my laptop is old enough that replacing the hard drive would only hold me over so long, and that my other hardware will likely start failing soon too Undecided

Hard drives don't cost much. Have that replaced and it will get you through till you find the new one you want and you won't have to rush to a decision.

Yeah, that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Defrag, norton, antiviral? What are things of which you speak? Wink

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-11-2014, 01:47 AM
(04-11-2014 07:52 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 07:37 PM)Chas Wrote:  If it's the hard drive, just replace the hard drive.

Not necessarily true. Hard drives fail after a while because they have moving mechanical parts inside which tend to wear. Other parts are purely solid state and will probably last another few years.

Here's a plan: buy a good 500 GB hard drive (50 US$ approx.), put Vista where it belongs (the trash bin) and buy yourself a nice, OEM copy of Windows 7 professional (40 US$). Buy also an USB case for your old hard drive (10 US$).

1. Install the new hard drive in the PC and start with a nice, clean installation of Win7.
2. Ditch Norton like the piece of overblown shit it is and get yourself a nice, free antivirus program like AVG or Avast (I use AVG but they're both good).
3. Put your old HDD in the USB case and conncet it to the laptop, so you can copy all the old data you need on the new HDD. Tip: if you've trouble transferring the data ("failure to read data"), leave the old HDD in the fridge for one night, then connect it to the laptop as soon as you take it out of the fridge and copy the data as quick as you can.

With an investment of 100 US$ you'll have a laptop capable of serving you for another couple of years at least.
[+] 1 user Likes DunkleSeele's post
05-11-2014, 01:49 AM
(04-11-2014 08:56 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Defrag, norton, antiviral? What are things of which you speak? Wink
Things which are very well known to anyone who knows anything about good computers. Those who don't buy crApple.
[+] 1 user Likes DunkleSeele's post
05-11-2014, 02:00 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 02:55 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(05-11-2014 01:47 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 07:52 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  They said my laptop is old enough that replacing the hard drive would only hold me over so long, and that my other hardware will likely start failing soon too Undecided
Not necessarily true. Hard drives fail after a while because they have moving mechanical parts inside which tend to wear. Other parts are purely solid state and will probably last another few years.

Here's a plan: buy a good 500 GB hard drive (50 US$ approx.), put Vista where it belongs (the trash bin) and buy yourself a nice, OEM copy of Windows 7 professional (40 US$). Buy also an USB case for your old hard drive (10 US$).

1. Install the new hard drive in the PC and start with a nice, clean installation of Win7.
2. Ditch Norton like the piece of overblown shit it is and get yourself a nice, free antivirus program like AVG or Avast (I use AVG but they're both good).
3. Put your old HDD in the USB case and conncet it to the laptop, so you can copy all the old data you need on the new HDD. Tip: if you've trouble transferring the data ("failure to read data"), leave the old HDD in the fridge for one night, then connect it to the laptop as soon as you take it out of the fridge and copy the data as quick as you can.

With an investment of 100 US$ you'll have a laptop capable of serving you for another couple of years at least.

Western Digital - Blue series 500GB 2.5" internal hardrive - $45.99 @ Newegg

[Image: 22-236-498-TS?$S300$]

Vantec NexStar TX 2.5" SATA to USB 2.0 External Hard Drive/SSD Enclosure - $7.99 @ Newegg

[Image: 17-392-032-TS?$S300W$]

WTF can you get a $40 legitimate copy of Windows?

The two cheapest I could find were ~$90-100 copies of Win 7 Home Professional 64bit OEM and Win 8.1 64bit OEM.

Outlet PC has either Win 7 64bit OEM or Win 8.1 64bit OEM at $99.98, both with a $10 mail in rebate. Cheapest I could find. Otherwise $99.00 is pretty standard across Newegg, Amazon, TigerDirect, or NCIXUS.

Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1, 64bit OEM DVD - $98.98 @ OutletPC.com

Windows 7 Rebate

Windows 8.1, 64bit OEM DVD - $99.98 @ OutletPC.com

Windows 8.1 Rebate

That being said, if you really don't mind Metro (or getting an application to to force the desktop layout of earlier versions), Windows 8.1 is both faster and less resource intensive than Windows 7. Also the rumor is that Win 8 users will get a free upgrade to Windows 10 whenever they roll that out next year. Nothing official yet, but there it is.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
05-11-2014, 02:06 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 02:19 AM by DunkleSeele.)
(05-11-2014 02:00 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 01:47 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  Not necessarily true. Hard drives fail after a while because they have moving mechanical parts inside which tend to wear. Other parts are purely solid state and will probably last another few years.

Western Digital - Blue series 500GB 2.5" internal hardrive - $45.99 @ Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822236498

[Image: 22-236-498-TS?$S300$]

Vantec NexStar TX 2.5" SATA to USB 2.0 External Hard Drive/SSD Enclosure - $7.99 @ Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

[Image: 17-392-032-TS?$S300W$]

WTF can you get a $40 legitimate copy of Windows?

The two cheapest I could find were ~$90-100 copies of Win 7 Home Professional 64bit OEM and Win 8.1 64bit OEM.

Outlet PC has either Win 7 64bit OEM or Win 8.1 64bit OEM at $99.98, with a $10 mail in rebate. Cheapest I could find. Otherwise $99.00 is pretty standard across Newegg, Amazon, TigerDirect, or NCIXUS.

http://www.outletpc.com/xk2782-microsoft...indows%208

http://site.outletpccomputerrepair.com/r...XK2782.pdf

That being said, if you really don't mind Metro (or getting an application to to force the desktop layout of earlier versions), Windows 8.1 is both faster and less resource intensive than Windows 7. Also the rumor is that Win 8 users will get a free upgrade to Windows 10 whenever they roll that out next year. Nothing official yet, but there it is.
Here in Europe I bought legitimate OEM copies of Win7 for 30 EUR.

EDIT: for example, here.
05-11-2014, 02:40 AM
If I was you, I'd rather get an SSD than an HDD. It currently costs more for having less space but, it's much faster, like, much. It doesn't heat up and it makes no noise whatsoever.

Also, if you want Windows as your OS, get Windows 7 64bit Professional. Big Grin

As far as the antivirus is concerned, I would suggest Panda Antivirus. Yes, Panda. It's that awesome. XD Apart from joking, there are plenty of free and reliable alternatives. Look for those. Big Grin

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
05-11-2014, 02:49 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 02:53 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(05-11-2014 02:40 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  If I was you, I'd rather get an SSD than an HDD. It currently costs more for having less space but, it's much faster, like, much. It doesn't heat up and it makes no noise whatsoever.

Also, if you want Windows as your OS, get Windows 7 64bit Professional. Big Grin

As far as the antivirus is concerned, I would suggest Panda Antivirus. Yes, Panda. It's that awesome. XD Apart from joking, there are plenty of free and reliable alternatives. Look for those. Big Grin

For the average user, the extra $50 for Professional gets you zero benefits. It's why I haven't upgraded to Pro or Ultimate, because the only thing I really want is the extra RAM allocation (16GB RAM and 8GB vRAM from two GTX970's in SLI), and I can get that with a much cheaper original copy of 8.1 than with an upgrade from 7 Home Premium to Ultimate (which they want $139 for just an upgrade, 8.1 64bit OEM is 99.98 by itself).

Also HDD heat is minimal, unless you're doing a massive RAID setup as part of a render farm, and even then their heat generation pales in comparison to the heat made by the CPU and GPU under load. SSD's also have a nasty habit of dying suddenly, whereas disk drives usually give some indication (like noise) that they are having trouble and a replacement should acquired before total failure.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]