Computer woes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2014, 03:35 AM
RE: Computer woes
(05-11-2014 02:40 AM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  If I was you, I'd rather get an SSD than an HDD. It currently costs more for having less space but, it's much faster, like, much. It doesn't heat up and it makes no noise whatsoever.

Also, if you want Windows as your OS, get Windows 7 64bit Professional. Big Grin

As far as the antivirus is concerned, I would suggest Panda Antivirus. Yes, Panda. It's that awesome. XD Apart from joking, there are plenty of free and reliable alternatives. Look for those. Big Grin
Given that it's an old laptop it probably still has a SATA-1 interface, that is, quite slow. An SSD won't bring any big advantage, as the data speed will be severely limited by the bottleneck created by the slow interface. Better buy a normal HDD and invest in some additional RAM.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DunkleSeele's post
05-11-2014, 03:38 PM
(05-11-2014 01:49 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 08:56 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Defrag, norton, antiviral? What are things of which you speak? Wink
Things which are very well known to anyone who knows anything about good computers. Those who don't buy crApple.

Of course you know about them, because they always breakdown and shit the bed. Thumbsup

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-11-2014, 04:32 PM
(05-11-2014 03:38 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 01:49 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  Things which are very well known to anyone who knows anything about good computers. Those who don't buy crApple.

Of course you know about them, because they always breakdown and shit the bed. Thumbsup
And are still way better than anything crApple Laughat
[+] 1 user Likes DunkleSeele's post
05-11-2014, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 04:44 PM by ELK12695.)
(05-11-2014 03:38 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 01:49 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  Things which are very well known to anyone who knows anything about good computers. Those who don't buy crApple.

We have like a 50 page thread somewhere, where this exact topic is discussed. And Apple was losing pretty badly.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
05-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Came back, switched on my computer and the power button got stuck. Managed to switch it on and the graphics driver had stopped working. Must have been some update because it was working in recovery mode and also in Windows.

So since the new version of openSuse has come out I decided to update it. This is the first time I have had a computer with Linux on a separate hard disk. I thought it would be easier and cleaner.

I couldn't boot up windows after installing Linux. So I tried installing again and wrote over my entire Linux partition and lost data. I've been desperately trying to re-write the Mafia games that I have been working for a few weeks now. I now need to completely reinstall Windows.

Having to do very slow back ups to save the data on my windows hard disk.

I'm going back to having both operating systems on the same hard disk.

Fuck.
05-11-2014, 05:49 PM
You movin in on my thread, Mathilda?? Beat_stick

Just kidding! This thread can turn into a general computer advice thread. I've gotten a lot of good advice. Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
05-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Don't worry, just needed to gripe and because my laptop is so sluggish at the moment doing backups I didn't want to go to the bother of finding the 'Why was today a bad day' thread or "What is your first world problem"
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
05-11-2014, 06:18 PM
(01-11-2014 08:15 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  So I bought a new iPad, and I need to sync it with my itunes in order to get all my data loaded onto the new iPad. I need to download the newest version of iTunes, but my computer freezes up after about 10-15 minutes, and does not recover. Task manager won't even come up, and I have to do a hard shut down.

It seems to work fine if I reboot in safe mode, but I can't download itunes while in safe mode. This has got me thinking I've got a virus or something, but my norton anti virus doesn't find any issues after I do a scan.

Could Norton be missing some issue? Or could my computer just be crapping out on me?

I'm not very good at this stuff, if anyone knows what I might be doing wrong, help is much appreciated. I want to use my new ipad Weeping my laptop is an older toshiba (maybe 7 years old?) running on windows vista home basic.

I used to have a Toshiba, can't say I miss the nearly ten minutes it used to take for it to power up, or the constant security upgrades I'd have to upload, or the constant freezing up. My heart goes out to you Smerc, when you get a chance get an Apple. Cool No fuss, no muss and everything works every time .

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
05-11-2014, 09:12 PM
(05-11-2014 04:41 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 03:38 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Of course you know about them, because they always breakdown and shit the bed. Thumbsup

We have like a 50 page thread somewhere, where this exact topic is discussed. And Apple was losing pretty badly.

I wondered how long it would take for Elk to join in. Haters gonna hate.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2014, 07:20 AM
(05-11-2014 09:12 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 04:41 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  

I wondered how long it would take for Elk to join in. Haters gonna hate.

"Intimidate those who intimidate others, Carl. That's my job."

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."