Computers are amazing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2012, 07:10 PM
RE: Computers are amazing
Ah, yes, good call. sqrt(x) is indeed a good place to stop. But you need to limit the number of decimals calculated, as many prime numbers have sqrt resulting in irrational numbers (a potentially infinite number of decimals with no observable pattern) or the program will waste a lot of processor power calculating decimals.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2012, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2012 07:23 PM by rook2004.)
(23-02-2012 07:10 PM)Malleus Wrote:  Ah, yes, good call. sqrt(x) is indeed a good place to stop. But you need to limit the number of decimals calculated, as many prime numbers have sqrt resulting in irrational numbers (a potentially infinite number of decimals with no observable pattern) or the program will waste a lot of processor power calculating decimals.

Hummm, StackOverflow says sqrt is implemented in hardware in the floating point unit on modern processors, so its performance is hardware dependent. (I actually didn't realize that.) But if, by doing one sqrt per check, you can save the cost of dividing by every prime between sqrt(n) and n/2, you probably still save a whole lot of time.
Anyway, are you on to assignment 3 now? Smile
11-06-2014, 05:21 AM
Not a bad article sir, but your estimations of computer capability, while flattering, are still well behind the reality even for 2011.

>>> that can write when we dictate (not very well but hey they can!),<<<

Actually extremely well. Dragon Naturally Speaking can easily cope with 100 words per minute effortlessly.

>>> we can save 100 books on a small e-reader and it will remember on what page<<<

An average eReader can store thousands, not hundreds of eBooks, and in addition to remembering an infinite number page locations, can have a complete dictionary instantly available, can enable the user to buy new books online, have daily newspapers delivered wirelessly, and do it all on about one charge per month with the average reader.

>>> call people from a plane<<<

Call, video conference, etc. Commercial carriers are rapidly adding WiFi, which means that 35 thousand at 600 MPH is no different than your living room.

>>> the friggin microwave is programmable<<<

The microwave, the air conditioner, the coffee pot, the fish tank, and just about everything else in a modern home.

But aside from my additions…we are 100 percent in agreement…Computers ARE amazing, and were still only at the tip of the iceberg.

(19-02-2012 04:49 PM)Leela Wrote:  So recently a friend gave me a link to the open courseware of MIT. I decided to study computer science and programming (which is one course).
In this course they teach you how a computer works and so on and also they teach you python.

Before that I had my nose in C for a very short while. But for some reason it annoyed me though I did not find it difficult just annoying. A few years before that I played around with html which I do not want to count as real programming but I think everyone has their own opinion on html about that.

So back to the now.
I worked on the first assignment which was fairly easy. You had to write a little code that asks you for your name and then prints it out.
So far so easy.
Next assignment was to write a program that will print out the 1000th prime number. Not so easy anymore. I thought about that program for a whole week. After that week I asked Malleus to help me (he doesn't know python but he does know C, so at least he has a brain for how to compute things like that). So he explained to me and I wrote it down in python and then we got stuck in making it run for all the syntax errors. When the syntax errors where gone there was some logical errors left and we did not find out what that is.
So at some point I looked at someone else's code just to get an idea. That code had a different structure but the hint we needed.
Anyway, overall it took us like 3 hours to solve this and I am very happy, and the programm works fine.

Now this got me to be very very amazed at what computers can do nowadays. Nowadays a mobile phone is able to do more than the first moon mission did. Isn't that amazing?
We have programms that calculate for us, that can write when we dictate (not very well but hey they can!), we have maps that calculate routes for walking and cycling and going by car, we have a gps that always knows where my car is on the road and that tells me where to go next! We have computers that read different things depending on where I touch the screen with my finger! We have DVD recorders that will record TV programms, we are able to friggin call people from a plane, we can save 100 books on a small e-reader and it will remember on what page I am in every book I read in, we have wrist watches that do all kinds of stuff and more more more, the friggin microwave is programmable!!

All the effort that went into doing all this. Even knowing that those are big teams, some people wrote all this down to a language out computers do understand!

It buffles me that we can actually get angry when the computer takes 5 seconds to load a page sometimes, but we can. We are all very spoiled.

I am amazed at what is happening with computers! Truly!
Wonderful!

The fact that I am here, sitting in my bed, in Ireland, typing this, and when I am done, I just click a button and people in USA, Russia, Egypt, Asia can read that! Amazing in my opinion.
You may all tell me to calm down but I think it is superamazing, very cool!

w00t
12-06-2014, 04:04 AM
(11-06-2014 05:21 AM)rbruner9393 Wrote:  Not a bad article sir, but your estimations of computer capability, while flattering, are still well behind the reality even for 2011.

>>> that can write when we dictate (not very well but hey they can!),<<<

Actually extremely well. Dragon Naturally Speaking can easily cope with 100 words per minute effortlessly.

>>> we can save 100 books on a small e-reader and it will remember on what page<<<

An average eReader can store thousands, not hundreds of eBooks, and in addition to remembering an infinite number page locations, can have a complete dictionary instantly available, can enable the user to buy new books online, have daily newspapers delivered wirelessly, and do it all on about one charge per month with the average reader.

>>> call people from a plane<<<

Call, video conference, etc. Commercial carriers are rapidly adding WiFi, which means that 35 thousand at 600 MPH is no different than your living room.

>>> the friggin microwave is programmable<<<

The microwave, the air conditioner, the coffee pot, the fish tank, and just about everything else in a modern home.

But aside from my additions…we are 100 percent in agreement…Computers ARE amazing, and were still only at the tip of the iceberg.

(19-02-2012 04:49 PM)Leela Wrote:  So recently a friend gave me a link to the open courseware of MIT. I decided to study computer science and programming (which is one course).
In this course they teach you how a computer works and so on and also they teach you python.

Before that I had my nose in C for a very short while. But for some reason it annoyed me though I did not find it difficult just annoying. A few years before that I played around with html which I do not want to count as real programming but I think everyone has their own opinion on html about that.

So back to the now.
I worked on the first assignment which was fairly easy. You had to write a little code that asks you for your name and then prints it out.
So far so easy.
Next assignment was to write a program that will print out the 1000th prime number. Not so easy anymore. I thought about that program for a whole week. After that week I asked Malleus to help me (he doesn't know python but he does know C, so at least he has a brain for how to compute things like that). So he explained to me and I wrote it down in python and then we got stuck in making it run for all the syntax errors. When the syntax errors where gone there was some logical errors left and we did not find out what that is.
So at some point I looked at someone else's code just to get an idea. That code had a different structure but the hint we needed.
Anyway, overall it took us like 3 hours to solve this and I am very happy, and the programm works fine.

Now this got me to be very very amazed at what computers can do nowadays. Nowadays a mobile phone is able to do more than the first moon mission did. Isn't that amazing?
We have programms that calculate for us, that can write when we dictate (not very well but hey they can!), we have maps that calculate routes for walking and cycling and going by car, we have a gps that always knows where my car is on the road and that tells me where to go next! We have computers that read different things depending on where I touch the screen with my finger! We have DVD recorders that will record TV programms, we are able to friggin call people from a plane, we can save 100 books on a small e-reader and it will remember on what page I am in every book I read in, we have wrist watches that do all kinds of stuff and more more more, the friggin microwave is programmable!!

All the effort that went into doing all this. Even knowing that those are big teams, some people wrote all this down to a language out computers do understand!

It buffles me that we can actually get angry when the computer takes 5 seconds to load a page sometimes, but we can. We are all very spoiled.

I am amazed at what is happening with computers! Truly!
Wonderful!

The fact that I am here, sitting in my bed, in Ireland, typing this, and when I am done, I just click a button and people in USA, Russia, Egypt, Asia can read that! Amazing in my opinion.
You may all tell me to calm down but I think it is superamazing, very cool!

w00t

[Image: rise_from_your_grave.jpg]

Over 2 fucking years old...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]